Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2001 7:39:04 PM EDT
are these things bad as some say? i know thier finish is **** with a capital *, but aside from that, will these things shoot, and how is accuracy and reliablity compared to the FAL. thanks again
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't do it man! (you asked)
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#2]
i was hoping for some reasons here, but thanks for the effort. also, since im silly and ignorant, i forgot to bring up the hesse vs. fedral arms receivers. is century also in the game? if so, who do i want to avoid? (hesse??)
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok,I'll give you some reasons.

IMHO the FAL is a much better rifle. I don't like the G3s ergonomics at all. I don't care for the forward cocking handle and the gun just doesn't feel right to me.

Besides the damn thing beats you to death when you shoot it. The hump in the reciever either hits me in the nose or the glasses on every shot. Granted this is just my opinion based on my experience.

Another thing is magazines. G3s are about $15-$20, while FAL mags range from $5-$10.

I haven't handled a large number of the clones. Once I fired the rifle and didn't like it I really lost intrest. Anyway, from what I have heard quality is really hit and miss with most of these rifles.

If I were going to buy a .308 I'd definatly go FAL all the way.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#4]
What 455SD said.

Actually, I fell for the clone thing because of the price. The CETME was a piece of junk BUT you can't beat the price, and if you know a little about the workings and are good with a Dremel tool, you can make it servicable. It does kick like a mule, it's innacurate compared to a well made and put together FAL or a slingshot and the ergonomics are potty. At the time, money was an issue until I discovered to my surprise, if I save over a period of time and not bow to the pressure of this disease, I can purchase a much better weapon. If money is the thing right now, purchasing a CETME or another G3ish clone can still give you excitement. Just don't expect to hit anything smaller than a Greyhound Bus.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#5]
You want to buy another firearm and you expect me to try and talk you out of it?! HA!
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer the FAL over the G3 clone for I like the gass system and the mag. availability.
GG
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If money is the thing right now, purchasing a CETME or another G3ish clone can still give you excitement.

hmmmmmmmmmmm isn't it vice versa? the G3 is a clone of the CETME......isn't it?. At least that's what i read, correct me if i'm wrong.
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
hmmmmmmmmmmm isn't it vice versa? the G3 is a clone of the CETME......isn't it?. At least that's what i read, correct me if i'm wrong.
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT.

Well yes, you're right, a CETME is the original..but uhh, have you ever fired a CETME, THE CETME's we're offerred in SGN? They're abortions. Receivers are crap. Although he didn't state he was even thinking of buying a CETME, I just assumed since that's what is mostly seen on the market here in the US.

Barracuda From California
OUT!
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
are these things bad as some say? i know thier finish is **** with a capital *, but aside from that, will these things shoot, and how is accuracy and reliablity compared to the FAL. thanks again

No, I couldn't do it.  I have a G3 clone by springfield and it is very nice.  Pretty cheap right now as well.  I had a federal arms as well in aluminum and liked it as well.  As for the kick I shot my friends Fal by hesse and it kicked my butt compared with my G3.  The mags are cheaper on the FAL no question, but you get what you pay for, the G3 mags are struduer and built to last.  IMHO.

Kentlik
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I built one of these rifles. I actually used a HK contractor for reciever. These kind of recievers are made by FMP. And I used all HK or FMP in the kit I built. Except for the required b.s. american parts you have to use. It shoots great. Does kick a little bit but that is also some of the fun in my opinion. Stay away from any of the hesse or Federal arms weapons no good !
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#11]
If you must get a G3 clone, I suggest you get one from Special Weapons. These are a great buy at $1200.00 and they throw in all the weld slag for free.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I must be sick I actually like mine and now since getting a complete one is getting alot harder maybe it'll get a mystic like my MAK90 . As for kick , I never noticed any (Maybe this is from when I was 8 and my grandfather let me shoot his old 10ga , OW!! the lump is still there .)
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#13]
well guys, for me price is an issue. i wouldnt put down like 1200 for a SW (yuck) or any gun right now, i just donw have it. i would like a springfeild clone, but doubt i will find one in my desired time table. i would get a fedral arms, of i thought it was gonna work good. its looking like FAL is best now.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want a semi auto, get the fal. if you want a .308, for the price of a fal, you can get an awesome bolt .308.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I own both a G3 clone on a Federal Arms Aluminum receiver.  This is the one with the scope rail built in, and I also own a STG-58 clone built up on a Imbel Receiver.

The G3 clone worked right out of the box, and goes bang everytime. I have yet to attempt to produce any tight groups with it, but it will easily drill holes in a human sized target at 100 yards all day long. The recoil is very moderate. However it spits the hulls about 6 stands across the firing line. Magazines right now are cheap,  intreordance has used mags for around 7 or 8 buck.  I just bought a half dozen NIW RheinMettal G3 Steel mags for 15 bucks each.  

The FAL Imbel clone however did not go bang out of the box.  It required first and foremost a new non-2piece-o-junk, gas pistol.  The orignal century two-piece piston, bent up after about half a mag. I had to replace it with a DSA piston to get the rifle to even begin to work.  I then had to drill out the Gas port larger as the rifle would not consistantly cycle even on the highest gas setting.  The recoil of the rifle is pretty fierce. A much more pronounced shock to the shoulder compared to the G3's delayed roller action with feels more like a slow push vs's the FAL's hard punch.  I even welded a zero-climb brake on the muzzel , but the FAL still kicks like a Mule in comparison. Mags are cheaper but Decent ones still cost 10+ bucks which is on par with the G3 mags from intreordnance.  I have yet to get any accuracy fell for the gun since all I have worried about is getting it to cycle properly.

The end result being that,  I would not trust my life to either gun. If this is what you are looking for, buy an AK or a good AR. However the FAL definately has the "cool" factor going for it and feels more refined in your hands. Better ergonomics than the G3, especially the charging handle setup.
The G3, I beleive is more inherently accurate and out of the box more reliable, at least in my experience. However it doesn't look as cool and feels more clunky since it weighs about twice as much as the FAL.

Bottom line in my limited experience. The G3 will go bang every time out of the box. The FAL is better ergonomically and "cooler" looking but will probably require some modifications, a one piece gas piston at minimum, to work properly.

JBNTEX

Link Posted: 11/9/2001 3:48:08 AM EDT
[#16]
jbntex

Who built your FAL? Any rifle built by Century or the like is going to give you problems. My advice on FALs is to buy from DSA in the first place and avoid any problems associated with FAL rifle. You will pay more up front but the rifle will worh flawlessly right out of the box, and look brand-spanking new to boot.

New magazines can be bought from DSA for $8 a piece shipped to your house. Used mags are $5 each. The only difference is slight finish wear which doesn't bother me at all. There is no reason to look anywhere else for magazines.

I know the DSA rifle is pricey. The STG-58 kit gun and the carbine can be had for $795+ transfer fee. This is a steal for what you get. A Century-type build up on an Ibel will run you about $400 then you'll spend another three hundred to get it to work and you still have a crappy looking rifle.

Yes, I am very sold on DSA. After going through about five crap FAL kit guns, the DSA rifles are the best. You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:14:05 AM EDT
[#17]
How about this for an arguement.  Buy another toy for your AR or get an AR.

The Cetme, G3s and FALs were designed the way they were because the U.S. military insisted on a 30 caliber round because of their "old style" thinking.  They are antiquated relics of the cold war.  The AR-15 is currently the ultimate evolution of the assault rifle concept.  Buy one of those fancy scopes (Trijicon, ect...) for you rifle.  Buy a target upper.  MORE MAGS! More ammo or something.

Or at the very least buy an AK.  They're fun and very reliable.  They're so robust even Century Arms makes a good one.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:44:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a M444 (FAL by Imbel reworked by IMI) works great. Recoil is less than my Bolt .308.
Does not look as good as my Bushy, but still $300 less I can have it refinished if I choose.
IMHO

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top