Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2001 7:30:07 AM EDT
Just curious.....

What type of slings attach to the two little sling attachment points on a shotgun?

Looks like they have to have some sort of clip like a Harris bipod, or do I need an adaptor?

Also, what type of sling will attach to a Harris Bipod?

Av.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just curious.....

What type of slings attach to the two little sling attachment points on a shotgun?

Looks like they have to have some sort of clip like a Harris bipod, or do I need an adaptor?

Also, what type of sling will attach to a Harris Bipod?

Av.

It sounds like your shotgun only has the cap screws with the hole. You will need to get the swivels and a sling that is the same width.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I find that slings - especially heavy slings such as those which carry extra shells - can interfere with proper swing and quick target acquisition.

Sounds like you've got standard quick detach swivel studs.  Any standard qd sling should fit.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#3]
So how do I add a sling to a Harris Bipod? Is it possible?

In pictures on their website, it looks like the sling is attached to the bipod. Possible?

Av.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys!!

Av.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 12:19:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Why do you want to put a bipod on a shotgun? I've heard alot of crazy stuff before but I've never heard of anybody putting a bipod on a shotgun. Am I missing something here?
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:01:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not going to. I just tossed the bipod question in because it crossed my mind.

Didn't really make myself clear, I guess.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:32:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I use a Giles Tactical Sling on my Mossberg M590-A1 Shotgun.  The shotgun is converted with a Speedfeed III Stock, Surefire Light Foregrip, and 6-Round Side Saddle.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for clearing that up, Avalon01. What kind of shotgun is this sling going to be for? I have a CQB sling on a Remington 870 that works pretty well for me. A standard 2-point sling should suffice, but like e8ght wrote, don't use a sling with built-in shell holders. I had an Uncle Mike's sling installed backwards and loaded with shells, plus a buttstock shell holder plus a sidesaddle, and the damned thing was very heavy and the extra weight swinging on the sling made it harder to control. If you use one of those slings, don't load it with shells.

Norcross110, I'm thinking about either a Giles or a CQB for my M590A1 but I don't care for the forward attachment point just below the muzzle. Also, doesn't the Giles cover up the shell holders in the Speedfeed stock?
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are going to mount a bipod, you probaly want an autoloader.  I don't think it would be "ergonomic" to work a pump.  

(sorry, read the thread and couldn't resist)
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm digging this post up from the grave to see what you people think of the slings lightfighter sells here

lightfighter.com/generic.html?pid=102

I'm looking for one on a 20" 590.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#12]
The sling mounting points on your 590-A1 fit any of the standard "quick" detach swivels.  Using a muzzle down "African Carry", you can bring you 590 into position pretty quickly.  

If you want to use a tactical sling, like the CQB or the Eagle you are referencinc, you will need to add a sling side mount on your barrel.  This is a a device which fits over the barrel & mag tube and allows the side mounting of the tactical sling.  From experience, I can tell you that finding one for a Mossburg is next to impossible.  You will need to use one made for an 870, and bend it out a bit to make it fit. It's also going to mark up you barrel and tube unless you put some type of liner on it.  I used electrical tape, cut to fit the dimensions of the mounting brackets.  Lasts about a year till it has to be redone.  

Hope this helps.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 11:04:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Well apparently the CQB one comes with the barrel fastener, a Wilson Combat one so I guess I'm all set with the CQB model.  Very cool.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:53:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's another option for the Mossy 590A1. Use a barrel and magazine clamp from Tac Star...

but use the wider 1¼ inch super swivels from Uncle Mikes...

I haven't tried it but it looks like it would work.

Or you could try one of these designed by Vang Comp

Actually, it's a magazine extension made for a 18" barrels but the sling attachment might work for a Mossberg 590. It basically looks like a Wilson Combat type sling attachment with a slip ring.

That same side sling attachment is already sewn into Giles tactical shotgun slings, as well as the CQB sling which is basically a copy of the Giles but with softer nylon. But they're held in place between the magazine extension (or magazine cap) and the magazine, not by a slip ring like the Vang Comp. HTH
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 1:43:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I've switched from a web type sling to the Royal Arms Tactical Quick sling. It's a bungee cord sling used by a quite a few Law Enforcement agencies.

Look under Shotgun Accessories:

www.royalarms.com/
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I saw a bungee type sling mounted to an AR not that long ago.

What is the advantage of the bungee type sling, over a conventional web sling?

Av.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#17]
The advantages I've found with the bungee type sling are:

1.) Shorter overall length, less hinderance, especially for a pump shotgun.

2.) No adjustments necessary.

3.) Actually pulls the stock in tight for a good weld to shoulder.

The only disadvantage I've found is that it's not as comfortable as an web sling in a normal carry mode due to the fact that a web sling can be adjusted to fit the different carry positions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top