Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2001 6:49:59 AM EDT
I'm out shooting recently with a friend who has way more experience than me (with firearms). Well I'm popping off rounds with my AR and he wants to shoot some too. So I take his L1A1 and he takes my AR (after I put on the safety). I always put the safety on even if the rifle is empty. Well I'm standing off to the side loading a new mag in the "L". My friend has "my" rifle pointed in the air and BOOM, off goes a round. It literally scares the shit out of me cause I'm not even facing him. He starts yelling at me saying I have rounds left in the gun? He takes the rifle (apparently switches off the safety, says it's habit) and then (the real problem) puts his finger on the trigger? AH I think a grade school child could tell you the problem with that. Maybe I am weird or was taught wrong by my father, but that sequence of events is something that I never let happen. My finger never goes to the trigger "until" I am ready to fire! Period!
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 7:03:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear you had this problem.  I will say, however, is YOU broke one of the cardinal rules too.  You handed a loaded weapon to someone and apparently didn't tell him it was loaded or this wouldn't have happened.

ALWAYS TREAT ALL WEAPONS AS IF THEY ARE LOADED

This is what your friend needs to learn.  If he learns this one phrase, he won't be so inclined to put his finger on the trigger when someone hands him a gun.  He should have also checked the rifle to see if it was loaded when you handed it to him.

I could go on and on about safety problems with your above story.  Hopefully both of you learned from the mistakes made and thankfully you are both still hear to enjoy shooting in the future.  We need as many SAFE pro-firearms people we can get.

Regards,

Paco
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#2]
When I hand a firearm to someone, I ALWAYS tell them what state the gun is in (Safe on, # of rounds in mag, round in chamber) to prevent such problems, a good habit to get into. Never assume a person knows what condition the firearm is in, tell them.

Link Posted: 11/6/2001 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#3]
The rules of gun safety:

1. Keep your finger off the trigger.
2. Keep your damn finger off the trigger.
3. Keep your damn finger off the damn trigger.

However, it was a failure on both parts.  You should have been polite enough to inform him that the gun was loaded, and he should have been smart enough to not turn off the safety and put his finger on the trigger.  Is the guy a moron?  It's been drummed into my head that I should treat all firearms as if they're loaded.

BTW, I don't put my finger on the trigger unless it's time to let the lead fly.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The rules of gun safety:

1. Keep your finger off the trigger.
2. Keep your damn finger off the trigger.
3. Keep your damn finger off the damn trigger.

However, it was a failure on both parts.  You should have been polite enough to inform him that the gun was loaded, and he should have been smart enough to not turn off the safety and put his finger on the trigger.  Is the guy a moron?  It's been drummed into my head that I should treat all firearms as if they're loaded.

BTW, I don't put my finger on the trigger unless it's time to let the lead fly.

God Bless Texas

Agree with above, plus whenever you are handed a firearm, no matter what, I open the action and inspect the firearm myself to make sure its clear, or, if its supposed to be loaded, check that there is really a round chambered.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#5]
1.  Every gun is always loaded.

2.  Don't point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy.

3.  Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

4.  Be sure of your target and what's behind it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Like everyone has said b/4. Finger out of trigger guard unless firing.  When handing guns over to another person check that chamber is clear & when anyone hands you a gun, check that the chamber is clear.  I keep my guns unloaded in the safe but still check the chambers when I remove them.

Once the bullet flys, nothing can bring it back.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sorry to hear you had this problem.  I will say, however, is YOU broke one of the cardinal rules too.  You handed a loaded weapon to someone and apparently didn't tell him it was loaded or this wouldn't have happened.

ALWAYS TREAT ALL WEAPONS AS IF THEY ARE LOADED

This is what your friend needs to learn.  If he learns this one phrase, he won't be so inclined to put his finger on the trigger when someone hands him a gun.  He should have also checked the rifle to see if it was loaded when you handed it to him.

I could go on and on about safety problems with your above story.  Hopefully both of you learned from the mistakes made and thankfully you are both still hear to enjoy shooting in the future.  We need as many SAFE pro-firearms people we can get.

Regards,

Paco

AMEN BROTHER -
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
YOU broke one of the cardinal rules too.  You handed a loaded weapon to someone and apparently didn't tell him it was loaded or this wouldn't have happened.
Paco

Horse shit!  It wasn't his fault that his friend negligently discharged a rifle!  When a rifle is in your possesion, you are the authority behind whether or not the gun is safe.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
YOU broke one of the cardinal rules too.  You handed a loaded weapon to someone and apparently didn't tell him it was loaded or this wouldn't have happened.
Paco

Horse shit!  It wasn't his fault that his friend negligently discharged a rifle!  When a rifle is in your possesion, you are the authority behind whether or not the gun is safe.

Yep, I agree.  I don't recall seeing the firearm rule that states "trust what the other guys says about the condition of the firearm".  It is up to the person handling the firarm to assume the resposibility to handle it correctly..which is 1) assume it is loaded (no matter what the other guy said) 2) etc, etc...
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Weapons with no magazine and their bolts locked back don't AD!

Chamber indicators are GOOD for you!  At $0.75 each cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 8:10:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
1.  Every gun is always loaded.

2.  Don't point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy.

3.  Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

4.  Be sure of your target and what's behind it.

!100% absafriggin lutely!

Those are the rules! Checking, clearing, inspecting of weapons is a matter of habbit for me, but there not the safety rules that save peoples lives. None of my firearms are left loaded... I still check them every single time I touch them, cus there loaded......
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#12]
edblevi, you have hit upon one of my pet peeves. I see that rule violated all the time. I won't shoot with people who insist on stroking the trigger before they are ready to shoot.
Keep your fingers off that d@mn trigger!
Gun won't go off if the trigger doesn't get pulled.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#13]
You all have made a good point. Usually I do notify the person I'm handing the gun too that it is noticed. However in this situation I didn't. You can be damn sure if I ever do again, I will notify the person. This person I was out with makes me nervous though, and I will not make it a habit to shoot with him often. Actually after this happened he informed me of a whole in his shop put there by his glock. Same type of situation with the finger on the trigger. Luckily he didn't kill anyone, just a nice hole in the wall. However sounds like an accident waiting to happen, and I don't want to be the accident:)
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Usually I do notify the person I'm handing the gun too that it is noticed. Loaded:)
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:09:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Who is responsible for safe gun handling?  THE PERSON HOLDING IT!!

SRM
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Simple rule: ALWAYS assume your shooting partner is a dumb-ass. TELL him if the gun is loaded or not, and ALWAYS keep an eye on him!
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

SRM

True, SRM, but you just don't hand somone a loaded weapon.  Remove the magazine, check to se if the chamber is clear, THEN hand the gun over.  Supose you hand off to early and the gun hits the ground?  Why ask for problems?
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I personally took a 220gr SWC .45acp in the left side of my back because an IDIOT didnt keep his finger off the trigger.  NO I didnt hand him the gun but did contemplate returning fire with a couple cor-bon 185gr JHP's.  Long and not so funny story, thankfully no permanent damage just a nasty scar.  Remember there's always an idiot.  Keep your eyes open.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SRM

True, SRM, but you just don't hand somone a loaded weapon.  Remove the magazine, check to se if the chamber is clear, THEN hand the gun over.  Supose you hand off to early and the gun hits the ground?  Why ask for problems?

True enough, Vinnie, no sense asking for trouble.  However, once you accept a firearm, I believe that safe gun handling is now your responsibility.  Everyone has to take responsibility for their actions.  And if everyone follows the rules listed above (all guns are loaded, keep them pointed safely, identify target and back stop, and KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER) 95+% of the "accidents" would never occur.  No flames intended.

SRM
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SRM

True enough, Vinnie, no sense asking for trouble.  However, once you accept a firearm, I believe that safe gun handling is now your responsibility.  Everyone has to take responsibility for their actions.  And if everyone follows the rules listed above (all guns are loaded, keep them pointed safely, identify target and back stop, and KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER) 95+% of the "accidents" would never occur.  No flames intended.

SRM

I hear ya.  I guess it's like the chicken and the egg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top