Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2001 11:54:03 AM EDT
hahahahha
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 11:56:27 AM EDT
Yes, God Damn it!
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 12:01:35 PM EDT
No way in H-ll Shrub Jr will go against his daddy's program... He'll extend it or more likely, make it worse.

and in case i forget when it DOES happen..................................

TOLD YOU SO!
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 12:02:53 PM EDT
um, it was clinton that signed the bill foo
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 12:48:25 PM EDT
Supposed to sunset in 2004, though I can't tell whether it all sunsets, or just part of it. The magazine prohibition seems to be the biggest deal to a lot of people I've spoken with, though the whole thing stinks to me.

Still, I truly wonder if the public, even now, will come to its senses. The American voter is such a fickle beast.

Link Posted: 11/4/2001 12:51:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 12:55:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 12:57:26 PM EDT
In 1994, there was an overwhelming Democratic majority in both branches of Congress. A month after the ban, the House and Senate swung 180 degrees to the Republicans. We still control the house. We are split 49/50/1 in the Senate. The President is Republican and supports the 2nd to some degree. He has stated that persons under 21 shouldn't have SAWs, but he sees no problem with Adults having them. Now, I'm 19, but I'd rather have the chance to own something at 21, than the chance to own a crappy PC version at 18. Get it staright, GW respects the 2nd. He just doesn't respect young people.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 12:59:02 PM EDT
oh thanks, sorry i dont think there is a way to edit it
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 12:59:17 PM EDT
I voted yes, but that was mostly optimism. Think parts, but not all will.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 12:59:31 PM EDT
You're Kidding, Right?

Have you EVER heard a politician admit they were WRONG? By not extending the ban, they would admit they were wrong.

It will probably be quietly extended as some minor amendment to some "must pass" budget legislation, and Bush will sign it because he "has to".
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 1:00:45 PM EDT
Yes
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 1:06:38 PM EDT
Tell me something, how do you think they will extend a ban that has its expiration date written into the law itself?

The only way in hell it will happen is an act of Congress.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 1:17:34 PM EDT
Title XI subtitle A of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994:

SEC. 110105. EFFECTIVE DATE.
This subtitle and the amendments made by this subtitle--
(1) shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this
Act; and
(2) are repealed effective as of the date that is 10 years
after that date.

The law speaks for itself.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 1:22:42 PM EDT
I think it will sunset, but then after Bush is defeated with the Republicans, an even worse alternative will be passed, but we will have a few months of the biggest gun buying orgy ever.
Save your cash.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 1:25:27 PM EDT
I think the Dems will be their own worst enemies on this. They will add some huge tax increase to the re-enactment of the ammendment, so that the Republicans can't vote for it, and the Dems will be able to use it as election fodder.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 2:50:28 PM EDT
I'm with AFARR- they'll put the bill extending the 'slime bill' into a finance package that Bush 'has to sign', even though he 'doesn't want to because he supports the second amendment'. That way, the law gets extended and Bush can blame it on the Democrats who 'forced his hand' on the issue. Don't forget, it was Bush Sr. who signed the import ban in '89!
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 2:53:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/4/2001 2:47:40 PM EDT by LotBoy]
Hopefully yes! If it dose, i bet the prices don't go down.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 3:27:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LotBoy:
Hopefully yes! If it dose, i bet the prices don't go down.

That doesn't matter, becuase you can build your own Pre-Ban configuration for less than you can build a Post-Ban configuration for.

Anybody wonder why Birdcage Flash Hiders cost $5 - 10, but a Birdcage Faux Flash Supressor with absolutely no function at all costs $25 - 40.

Also, you will no longer have to pay expensive gunshop fees to mill off the bayonet lug and pin and weld an overpriced Faux Flash Hider to cover the threaded barrel on a Tapco Parts Kit or any other Pre-Ban Parts kit for that matter.

BTW, is it possible to just take a hacksaw and slice off the threaded section of a 20" Barrel. Also, how much of the Bayonet Lug do you have to remove.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 4:06:34 PM EDT
Anyone who has kept track of this stuff for the last 10-15 years can tell you... within a week or two before a critical vote on a gun issue, almost as if magic, there will be a shooting tragedy that will be siezed upon, and spur on an anti-gun vote. You can bet on it.

No, I think the ban will be extended permanently, perhaps made worse, by some mysteriously timed shooting.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 4:25:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 5:22:12 PM EDT
That's a great article- I just sent it to my psycho liberal mother-in-law. Won't do any good, but it might piss her off!
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 5:53:52 PM EDT
I DONT think it will sunset. It would be to good to be true. Here's my question. Lets say that law will expire and not be re-instated. What will be the next communistic "law" will they come up with?
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:25:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:20:58 PM EDT
There has been a pardiem shift in thinking about guns in America...the gungrabbers don't stand a chance in hell if gun owners stand tough. Congres knows...they have to protect the 2nd ammendment now, AND America will understand.

Just my opinion but, our local RNC officials are thinking just that.

Arab-season (OPEN)
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:57:30 PM EDT
Not in CT
we have a perma-ban.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 8:27:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gardenWeasel:
Not in CT
we have a perma-ban.

Only untill the Feds take them to court for civil rights violations.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 8:33:57 PM EDT
I think what may happen is that the libs will try to extend it with "add ons". The add ons will include bans on 50bmg's and other silly stuff. My prediction is that they will get so caught up in the add ons that they will neglect to continue the previous bill.

Question: If there is a gap between the time it has sunset and the time it gets "extended", could I tack on a folding stock and get a bunch of post ban mags?
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:34:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AFARR:
You're Kidding, Right?

Have you EVER heard a politician admit they were WRONG? By not extending the ban, they would admit they were wrong.

I'm not saying it's an outstanding precedent, but they did let the national speed limit go up to 65 after it was 55 for 20+ years. A miracle of clear thinking! Or was it all those public servants getting speeding tickets?
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:21:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sparky315:I'm with AFARR- they'll put the bill extending the 'slime bill' into a finance package that Bush 'has to sign'

Don't you think he'll use the line item veto? I am itching to see him really get some mileage out of that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:34:18 PM EDT
i bet the new ban will be a ride on with some other bill that gets quitly passed when no one is looking
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:05:45 PM EDT
The first ban was a PR thing for the dems. They thought it would look like they were doing something to stop crime. I think it will be used that way again. I think they will quietly let it sunset. Remember they don't have to do anything to kill, and most people (including the press will never know about unless they make a big deal about it. Then they will use it as a last minute mud ball to sling at Bush in the closing weeks of the election.

Kyle
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 10:00:27 AM EDT
It's not a matter of will it sunset or not. The bill will sunset, as it's written into the law. The real question is will there be a new ban or not and will it be signed before the election. I believe there will be a new ban passed if the demonazis gain more political power in Congress, and if it happens before the 2004 election Bush will sign it.

However, we won't see George W. go against his father and lift the import restrictions from 1989.

And here's a thought. Since Ashcroft has stated that the 2nd is now an individual right, and the Supreme Court has concurred, does a presidential order banning the importation of non-sporting rifles have any merit? And how the hell does one get a presidential order overturned? Isn't it only by another presidential order?

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 10:49:56 AM EDT

Not in CT
we have a perma-ban.

Lucky you!

You should consider Texas!

or WY. maybe
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 10:55:29 AM EDT
Lotsa Luck To All Of Us,Im sure that in time it will get worse for all of us.Kinda sad for the grandkids.....
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:39:51 AM EDT
IF the ban sunsets but a new one takes its place shortly AFTER it expires, do all post 94 but pre 04 guns get to be pre bans? How about ones produced during the gap? Will magazine mfrs be all tooled up and run 24/7 during the gap?
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:41:45 AM EDT
I voted yes. Wishful thinking :)
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:34:42 PM EDT
First a gun ban bill has to make it out of committee in both the House and the Senate. Then both the House and the Senate have to vote on their versions of the bill. Then the house and the senate have to agree on a single version, or hybrid version of the two bills. Only then is it sent on to the president for signature or veto. Elect pro-gun politicians, and there is a good chance that the bill will never make it to the president's desk. I seriously doubt that the democraps could tie this into another bill. First of all, any snesible republican would not vote for it, or tie it up in committee, knowing full well what will happen if he/she votes for it and spurns gun owners. For this reason, the democraps have to pull it out on it's own and make it a high visibility issue if they hope to get it passed. I am guessing that most of them are going to be a little wary to put all their chips on an issue like this so close to an election given the current atmosphere. I am holding guarded optimism that this bill will die in committee because the democraps will not be willing to step up to the plate and define their party by this issue.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:56:48 PM EDT
New prediction:

Democrats know they won't pass it a second time and they just keep it quiet and try to pass anti-50 laws because a 30 round mag is not as scary as a superduper dem. politician killer.

I just want a collaps. stock for my ar and some hi cap mags cheap!!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:23:16 PM EDT

Not in CT
we have a perma-ban.

We sure do! Thanks psuedo-republicans!

Top Top