Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2001 8:10:37 PM EDT
It's taken me two years:  I started with buying the 700 PSS LTR in .308 and then over the past two years have gotten the Badger Ordnance base, Leupold 3.5-10x40 Vari X III Tactical Matte w/ mil dot reticle,  the Leupold Mark 4 Rings and finally the Sinclair International ring lapping kit.

I mounted the scope today.  I can stop looking at it.  It's finally done including a gunsmith buddy adjusting and polishing the trigger down to an even crisp 4 lbs.

Now,  just need to buy the different loads of match ammo, go to the range and break in that barrel !

Sorry - just had to let everyone know how excited I am by all this.   The anticipation and delayed gratification has definitely made this  something that I appreciate even more !

Nov 9th

Just spent a few min's w/ my digital camera and Adobe Photoshop :   here it is -

Link Posted: 11/3/2001 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Congradulations! I am currently working on a Remington 700 project and cant wait to get it done.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Pics! We want pics!

I am thinking about getting a 700 LTR... Can you explain what exactly the "Lapping" of the rings does?

-Jared
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Can you explain what exactly the "Lapping" of the rings does?
-Jared

It eliminates any misalignment in the rings that would put undue stress on the scope tube.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Lapping the rings in the words of Scott Powers (XRing) from Sniper Country:

You can get the tools from Sinclair International. Lapping the rings is a
method of using a grinding compound on a steel rod. This rod is inserted
into the BOTTOM rings once they are mounted on the rifle (you leave the caps
off). A handle is attached to the lapping rod and you move it back and forth
until you take off a certain percentage of the material finish. This levels
up the scope rings and can compensate for any misalignment caused by the
base being twisted when it was mounted. I firmly believe lapping the rings
in with the Leupold rings as they are not mated up at the factory. Badger
mounts the rings on a solid base and mated them up and numbers them. If you
mount their rings on a Badger base, theoretically they should be jsut about
perfect. Course even then you can get some variation. So again, having a
lapping tool is kinda nice. I lap all my rings regardless of who makes 'em.

anyway, its an easy job. The tool kit is about $15.

Scott

Pity the man who knows nothing worth dying for.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]

I mounted the scope today.  I can stop looking at it.  It's finally done including a gunsmith buddy adjusting and polishing the trigger down to an even crisp 4 lbs.

I just adjusted my 700P trigger down to about 2.5 lbs.  It was about 4 lbs out of the box.

Now,  just need to buy the different loads of match ammo, go to the range and break in that barrel !

I have some Sierra 168 gr. MK bullets on the way.  On my first outing I discovered that it doesn't seem to like 150 gr. bullets.

Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Just added a rendered picture of my rifle in the starting message of this thread ! !

Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Ahh man...you suck!...Beautiful! I need a bolt action .308. Since we can't have the neat toys here, we mize well stock up on the bolts and legal semis...Got the M1A, now all I need is a decent precision tactical. I'm green with envy.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#9]
ESP,

Nice setup, just curious of the barrel length. It seems like it is the regular PSS 26" barrel from the picture.

ASR
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#10]
No, it's the 20" LTR.  The barrel looking long is an effect of the angle that the picture was taken.

Also, you can't see the flutes on the barrel very well, because I took the original picture with less than optimum lighting conditions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top