Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2001 4:08:14 PM EDT
I already posted this on the Colt forum, but only recieved 1 reply, so I am posting it here.
I know of an M16 Colt cutaway that I could pick up fairly cheap. It functions perfectly. Has anyone out there restored one to mil spec. condition, I.E. plug the cutaways, weld up the pin and spring holes and redrill, {possibly transfer the serial number to a new lower} :)!
Any info is appreciated.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Allright, this might be a silly question, but is it transferable?  I assume it is, because that is the only reason I could see to do this.

Out of curiousity, what does fairly cheap mean to you.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 11:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes it's transferable, cheap is around $4000.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 11:32:07 PM EDT
[#3]
btt
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:31:39 AM EDT
[#4]
So what your are saying is that someone registered a Colt Cutaway way back when?  So this cutaway is now on a Form 3 or 4?

This sounds sorta' odd...anyway $4000 does not really sound cheap to me since you would have to have alot of work done to it.  You can purchase a DIAS for that amount of money.  Heck by the time you had it all patched up you would probably have enough in it that you could have just purchased a registered M16.

About the transfer of the serial number.  I don't think the ATF allows serial numbers on NFA lowers to be put onto another weapon like you can do with pre-ban lowers.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

medcop

edited to add:

This topic would be better off in the legal section.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, considering that registered receivers are in the $5K range then $4K doesn't really sound like a bad price. Not exactly a steal, but not terrible. A lot of gunsmithing can be done on an M16 lower for $1000 and if you can get it done for less then you would be saving money.

Contact John Norell and see if he can help you out or at least help you make a decision. If it can be done to an aluminum receiver then Norell can do it.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#6]
A friend of mine just bought a factory Colt M16 that had sat in a safe for the last ten years for $4,000.  He said it is in new condition.  That is less than half of its market value($8,000-$10,000).  You can find much better deals if you just sit and watch.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 2:59:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been sitting and watching for a while and the best deal I have seen lately are factory M16s for $5600. If I could find one for $4000 I would get it, but they just aren't out there. Your friend got really lucky, or the rifle is in really poor shape, and I hope its the first one.

Every once in a while you will run into someone who has been out of the loop for a few years and has not kept up with MG prices lately. If you could pick up some transferables at '96 prices they would be a steal today. While they are out there, they are really hard to find. Net access is too easy these days and too many people know the going rates for MGs to find any great deals and they usually get snapped up pretty fast like what your friend did.

Hell, thinking back....I wished I would have bought into the market just a couple of years earlier than I did. Just three years ago you could find $4000 M16s and $600 MACs all over Bowers board. The best deal left today is a NIB Vector UZI, while they still last.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow...I am off on my prices.  I need to educate myself.

medcop
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top