Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2001 8:19:30 PM EDT
are they any good?? how reliable are they?
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw an article on these in a gun mag about 2 mos. ago. -- They bragged them up real good. -- They were at a shooting range in Hawaii, lots of jap tourists use the range to shoot rental guns as they can't shoot at home. -- Seems the range owner just loved these guns because he never had any problems with any of them, and they were accurate enough for short range shooting. -- They did recomend the model that comes with the red dot sight, (guess the iron sights are not too good). -- I thought about picking one up after reading the article, but talked myself into spending the money on an OLY 9mm upper for AR -- ALLONS11
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Theyre junk. if you want something inexpensive to shoot get a 10/22. if you want a 9mm carbine get a conversion for your AR.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 4:47:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I sold mine a while ago. I was a good gun, accurate, and it never jammed on me. I didn't shoot it much after I got my AR. It would be a great gun if they had made it able to accept hicaps. It gets boring loading up 10 rd mags.    
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:49:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I see them monthly at the range and they always shoot accurately at short range targets.

What are they?  200?  Probably can't go wrong for that price since a pistol caliber upper for the AR15 will be 3x that price.

Only reason for pistol caliber uppers I can find is indoor shooting at ranges which don't allow 5.5mm Ball, but a good .22LR upper will handle this well.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I have ad mine for over a year, and its a good gun for the price. THe sights aren't great. At 25m I can print them all in a 6" circle standing fire. I had a scope on mine for a while and I could consistently get 2-3" groups at 75 yds. The only problems Ihave with it is that is iis ugly, the feed ramps are painted, and the firing pin sucks. After about 400 rnds I tried to put some rem golden saber 147 grn HPs through it and they got stuck on the feedramp. I took it apart and polishedthe feed ramp real good and it runs like a champ. Thefiringpin is very long and thin, and soft. I haven't had a problem with it yet but I just don't like the design. It now resides in my trunk because I don't care if it gets all beat up in the soft case. It's the gun I carry if I'm taking my dog for a walk in the wood when its raining. Nice toy for the cash.

Guncrazy223
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I had one, too.
Liked it alot...fun to shoot from 25-50 yards.  I wouldn't depend on a 9mm at much more than that.  The iron sites were fine if you do your part. With a scope you're dead on at that range.
At around $200 it's a great camp gun/ fun gun/ or even a youth gun for that second rifle after the 22 cal.
Highpoint has excellent customer service.
This gun is what it is.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot one a buddy had.  It looked like something the Pakistanis are hammering out with rocks in the Khyber Pass.

It functioned well enough though the plastic halves of the pistol grip were disturbingly flexible.  

The iron sights ain't.   They are some sort of cheesy plastic that make them impossible to zero.  We tried it at about 25 yards and ended up playing the "shoots left, move sight one turn over, now it shoots 2' to the right, move sight one half turn back, now it shoots 4' to the right, etc." game.

If you could find some reliable way to mount a red dot sight to a solid piece of the gun, it would probably be a good combo.  The edges of the magazine looked viciously sharp.

Prior to actually shooting it I'd wanted one.  Now I'm not so sure.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Campybob you must be talking about macs guns. If you are thats where I got mine. I see him at every gun show and the tables are usually crowded. He's selling alot of something.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Had mine about 2 yrs. Don't shoot it a lot but it hasn't giving any trouble except sometimes the mag will not lock in with 10 rds.  Remove 1 rd. and it works fine. Considered getting another mag for it to see if that was the problem but no more than I shoot it, it's fine for my purposes. Only payed 149.95 for it. Really wouldn't want to depend on it for defense though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top