Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2001 11:02:47 PM EDT
Hey folks, any recommendations for a place that has a bolt/carrier kit that has all the parts, so I can just slap it in my bushy upper?  Is hard chrome worth the money?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hey folks, any recommendations for a place that has a bolt/carrier kit that has all the parts, so I can just slap it in my bushy upper?  Is hard chrome worth the money?  Thanks!

I bought mine from Del-Ton for $91 complete. I wouldn't waste money on a chrome plated carrier! At least not for a plinking or defensive gun. The carrier I got from Del-Ton looks IDENTICAL to the one that came in my Bushmaster. Same machine marks, everything!
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The Army dumped the chromed bolt and carrier in 1968 as they caused excessive wear in the rifles.  Receivers were wearing out.  Chrome bolt is still OK, but chrome carrier is prohibited on rifles in deploying units.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Gus,

did you get the FN or the DPMS assembly? what is the difference, I have a posty 16" bushwacker. Do I have to get the correct one, or just the one I think is best. Thanks man.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Gus: Thanks, I will try delton.  someone else said that the parts are good.

Chuck: wonder why the chrome would wear out the upper receiver?  I guess if the carrier was not polished then chromed, the old machine marks would be worse.  I have an old carrier that a friend gave me but I have no idea who made it so I though of polishing the surface and getting it parkerized to seal it up.  Would this be bad.  I'm kinda anal and hate to start up a new firearm with all those marks.

Thanks folks!
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:26:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't put a chromed carrier in my gun. Bushmaster specifically recommends against it.  Chrome is hard, and just the friction sliding over the aluminum will cause wear.  Don't buy into that lubricity thing; the circumferential machine marks on the steel bolts are there to hold lubricants; smooth bolts don't hold lube and have increased friction due to increased surface are contact.

shooter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top