Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2001 7:42:02 AM EDT
My dad has an M1 Carbine in excellent condition.  On the receiver it says "US M1 Catbine ...." Towards the end of the barrel it says "Underwood" and has the little bomb symbol (ordanance symbol?).  

Does this sound to you like a WWII vintage rifle and what is its appox worth?  I would say it is in 90% condition.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Carbines are really skyrocketing in price lately. All U.S.G.I. M-1 carbines are WWII vintage. Like the M1911A1's no more M-1 carbines  were produced after WWII. If his carbine is 100% correct(from the manufacturer) which is possible but unlikely, and is 90% condition it could run between $700.00 to as high as $900.00 depending on the buyer. Try the carbine forum at www.gunandknife.com or Culvers Shooting page at www.jouster.com. You will need to check the markings on all the major components and the stock including stock markings for arsenal rebuild markings. Like the M1911A1's and M-1 rifles the vast majority of M-1 carbines went through a rebuild at least once during their service so that's why it is unusual to find one that is 100% correct.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Alot of different variables as far as what it could be worth....

Other than US M1 Carbine what else in on the reciever?  maybe 2 letters or Inland along with a date xx-xx and serial #?  this should be on the rear of the reciever. The barrel should also have a date on it.  Also on the side of the barrel is it stamped with anything (this would be an import mark and not all have been stamped)?

Here is a page with some more info;
home.att.net/~ra-carbines/history.html

Here are some pics which show signifigant info

home.att.net/~ra-carbines/carbines.html

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Strong possibility it is not an Underwood carbine, just an Underwood barrel.  Check the receiver.  I have an Underwood barrel on a Standard Products receiver.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#4]
One more carbine question....

Any of you ever see a green "rubberized" bag that holds an M1A1, and the gun will only fit when the stock is folded?  It is not the jump holster they made for it in WWII.  It has a shoulder strap and 2 external pouches also.

I am getting ready to sell the M1A1 I have, and I have one of these bags.  I am not sure what the bag is worth, but it seems unique.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd like to see a picture of it. It sounds a little like a spare barrel bag for an M-60 machine gun. It feels rubberized, has a shoulderstrap and two outside pockets for accesories. The zippers are heavy white steel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top