Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/25/2001 1:52:44 PM EDT
Can anyone recommend a product for painting wooden rifle stocks. Ideally, it should be durable,flat black,resillient to cleaning products, and hopefully have some sort of texture to it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:01:30 PM EDT
Sounds like you are talking about spray on truck bed liner.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:11:01 PM EDT
This is something I have messed with for sometime and I think I have it down.

First go to Wal-mart,K-mart,Home depot or Ace(the only ones I know of that have this)and buy a can of this stuff called"Kilz" it's a type of primer that is better that any thing on F*ing earth!
I have unsed it on old SKS stocks and you know how much oil and crap yopu get out of them.

Then get some "Rust-oleum Texured" indoor/outdoor it's very tuff and I can only get it off of with Goff-off (goff-off will take paint off a damn car!)

The Rust-oleum comes in gloss/flat black,OD,red.blue and gray,and I even did my wife's .410's barrle with it and that was over a year ago(her gun gets the crap beat out of it all the time)

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:13:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
Sounds like you are talking about spray on truck bed liner.

Did that,it's works ok but you still need to use the Kilz first.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:13:40 PM EDT
Hammerite.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:31:04 AM EDT
I have used black leather dye (Lincoln Brand) works like wood stain and won't come off. You can then put some kind of sealer on top of that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:27:22 AM EDT
I finally painted my stocks, and it came out really nice. I thought I'd give you guys an update. First, I sanded then real lighty with 320 grit paper to rough up the surface. I used KILZ primer to prep the surface (thanks for the advice a2carbine). Two coats. I finished off with 3 coats of DUPLI-COLOR truck bed coating. The stuff works great. Nice texture and a real hard finish. I'd post pics, but i don't know how.
Top Top