Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Old Ithaca 10-ga. double barrel.  I was maybe 10 years old, and pulled both barrels in rapid succession.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#2]
A friend’s brother insisted I try his rechambered Super Redhawk with a hot load and 320gr bullets. First shot was in the bullseye but I flinched so bad on the remainder of the cylinder that I couldn’t keep them on target.

High brass 3” Magnums out of my Shockwave were no fun either...
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
S&W 340PD with a single .357 mag round is a real “welcome to Ouchville” event that will leave an impression in your memory (not to mention in your hand).

View Quote

340SC
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've heard those P64's are no fun to shoot.  Wonder why as 9x18 is about like a .380 for energy.

Strange on the 1903.  My 1903A4 does not seem bad, but that's with the original stock and handguard, which may add some weight.
View Quote

9x18 Makarov is definitely closer to 380 than 9x19 like you said. The .380 ACP runs at a SAAMI maximum average pressure of 17,000 C.U.P.  I haven't found any SAAMI standard for 9x18 Makarov but factory ammo runs in the area of 21,000-22,0000 C.U.P., while 9x19mm has a SAAMI maximum average pressure of 33,000 C.U.P., but that P64 sure feels like your shooting a much bigger cartridge.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#5]
It literally feels like getting hit in the palm with a baseball bat.  I HATE firing the gun.  But it carries incredibly well.

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#6]
1.  S&W340pd in 357mag with ammo my buddy who owned it had for anti-bear Alaska backpacking - I'd rather be eaten by a bear than shoot that f-ing thing again.
2.  .458 Win Mag - holy F-in F.  Trampled by an elephant or shoot this thing, either way you're getting a concussion.
3.  Some light-weight, folding European 12-ga single shot with a slug - somehow it made me punch myself in the face.  Did not like.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

.300 Win Mag was unpleasant for me too.  Very sharp and brutal recoil.  That's the most powerful rifle I've shot - I'm curious if more powerful rifles like a .375 H&H or .458 Win are much worse, or if the slower bullet makes for a different recoil cycle than the sharp kick on the 7mm and 30 cal mags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Call me a sis but two rounds of 300 Win Mag out of my stepdad's deer rifle was enough for me. Can't remember the model. I politely decline when he offers to let me shoot it again.

44mag Deagle sucked to shoot. I dont have large hands and it simple felt too bulky and uncomfortable. The same round in a revolver is fine for me.

NAA .22lr sucked to shoot. I know they have their place and all but damn it was 100% opposite of fun to shoot. I was expecting it to be a fun little plinker. I dont know what gave me that idea.

.300 Win Mag was unpleasant for me too.  Very sharp and brutal recoil.  That's the most powerful rifle I've shot - I'm curious if more powerful rifles like a .375 H&H or .458 Win are much worse, or if the slower bullet makes for a different recoil cycle than the sharp kick on the 7mm and 30 cal mags.

I've got a pretty light rem 700 in 300 win mag.
It's tolerable.
I've shot a friend's 460 Weatherby mag, and that was not fun. It just kind of knocked you around every time you fired it.
Of course it doesn't help that I only weight about 160#.
Edit: op, what ever it ends up being for a gun. You need to be able to shoot it well and not develop a flinch. If you can't hit what you're shooting at because you don't "train" with it, it's no good to you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have a TC with a 10" 44 mag barrel, but with the black plastic finger grove grips its fine.  Did have it Magnaported though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
late to the party... +3 on the Blackhawk 7 1/2 in .30 carbine... I think the frequency of the muzzle blast curdled blood

8" TC Contender in .44mag with the small original grips that tried to separate you thumb and fore finger from your hand

.50AE (auto loader cartridge) in a Freedom Arms SA... I put my left thumb on the recoil shield of .44mag SA pistols... thought I had broken my thumb when he .50 went off

I have a TC with a 10" 44 mag barrel, but with the black plastic finger grove grips its fine.  Did have it Magnaported though.

Contenders don't weigh much. That's a .44 mag barrel on mine, and it's a little spicy with some nice hot hand loads and heavy hard cast bullets.
Works great for whitetails around here.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It literally feels like getting hit in the palm with a baseball bat.  I HATE firing the gun.  But it carries incredibly well.

https://i.imgur.com/N3qSN5L.jpg
View Quote

May I ask why you carry it if you can't stand shooting it?
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, an extra half pound for the 640 instead of the 340 is well worth it.

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I also shot a .44 mag with hot hand loads. I jumped out of the truck with the pistol (I don’t even remember what make) and one handed a quick shot at a javalina.

BLAM!

I think I was numb from the elbow down. I was very surprised.  I think I was 17.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm curious if more powerful rifles like a .375 H&H or .458 Win are much worse, or if the slower bullet makes for a different recoil cycle than the sharp kick on the 7mm and 30 cal mags.
View Quote

They're two different types of recoil.  The large magnums are more of a heavy push than a sharp kick like the faster magnums.  I honestly find 375 H&H up to the .416s easily tolerable.  The 458 Win Mag isn't too bad.  The 458 Lott is where recoil starts to get somewhat nasty.  460 Weatherby is the worst of both worlds.  I've shot a braked .460 WB but not an unbraked one, and even with the brake it had some gnarly power.

The sharp recoil kind of tops out at 338 Win Mag/338 Lapua, then once you jump up to the larger bores it starts to become more of that push feeling.

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Polish Radom P64
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#14]
A toss up between an LCP II and a Ruger hammerless .38 revolver with 158gr ammo. The LCP was so small I couldn’t get a good grip and it jumped too much, eventually bruising my hand. The Ruger had a soft rubber grip, but it still kicked hard enough that I had no desire to continue shooting. Funny, because .45ACP is a pleasure to shoot, as is most 12 gauge (excluding 3” buck and slugs) ETA: .338 Lapua was fun as well, not really shot anything bigger than that.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#15]
1886 Winchester with the steel butt plate and warmer loads, on the bench.   I make it a point to shoot it off hand now, now on the bench.

It is a heavy bitch, but a rifle round in a lever gun on the bench is mostly painful. 300 Win Mag in a lightweight CZ didn't bother me.

I shoot a lot of trap, so most things don't bother me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/N3qSN5L.jpg
View Quote
My .44 pistols do that to me.  I can't bring myself to have a S&W magnaported.

It fixed this Ruger, which was almost unmanageable in stock form:

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#17]
HK 91.  

Something about the way that fixed stock fits me it just beats my cheek to the point thay I'm flinching and anticipating the shot by the third round.  

Yep! I feel like this guy looks after only 2 rounds.  ---->  
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
HK 91.

Something about the way that fixed stock fits me it just beats my cheek to the point thay I'm flinching and anticipating the shot by the third round.

View Quote
HK stocks are too short for me.  The steel retractable stock felt like it was loosening my teeth.  (G3)
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#19]
S&W 329PD, scandium .44.

Grizzly auto pistol in 50 AE. The same gun in 45 win mag is no issue.

Remington 660, 350 Rem Mag. Laminated stock, funky plastic vent rib. Wanted one for years. 3 shots was enough. Sold it to a guy in Maine that wanted it for his wife’s “moose gun”.

Semi auto converted Bren Mark 1, 303. No recoil but the trigger slap from this Wiselite build is horrendous.

500 Smith. Bought one of the first 8” guns years ago. Dealer had 3 types of ammo. From moderate to murderous. Yikes!

Original BAR at a machine gun rental place in Vegas. It was set at the high cyclic rate. Uncontrollable as hell. Not really enjoyable at all.

Boys Anti Tank rifle, converted to 50 BMG.

Ruger Super Blackhawk with heavy 44 mag loads. It’s OK if you have swapped out the grips for Pachmeyer’s but stock it sucks.

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 10:03:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fair question.

The gun was my daily carry for years.  Nothing else could slip into the front pocket of my slacks or gym shorts and simply disappear without thought.   With the CT laser grips, I could score A zone hits at most reasonable distances.  So, I felt competent despite my strong dislike for actually shooting it.

But since the "troubles" last year, I've upgraded my daily carry.  So, the 340MP has been relegated to pocket carry when I'm in gym shorts and leave the house for some reason.  

I now carry a PM9, G19, or 92 variant depending upon attire.  Those I actually enjoy shooting.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 10:22:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It is know as a recoiler.  What's so bad about it, as. 303 is hardly a huge round.  

Metal buttpad?  Blast?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thing

No. 5 Mk I - aka Jungle Carbine

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/124578/No__5_Mk_I-1985792.jpg

It is know as a recoiler.  What's so bad about it, as. 303 is hardly a huge round.  

Metal buttpad?  Blast?
The 'recoil pad' is 70+ year old hard as hell rubber, which really isn't different than metal, but...

The pad has a smaller footprint than a metal butt plate, so, physics and shit, same energy on a smaller area is the result.

The flash hider is only supposition on my part, but it sure looks like it aids in shoving the rifle toward the shooter.  

They're also light, relatively speaking to other bolt rifles, so that adds (subtracts?) to the equation as well.

I still shoot it when the situation calls for recoil therapy, just a clip or two and the focus shifts from - whatever it was - to the burgeoning bruise on the shoulder.

Outside the muzzle report is not appreciably different from other bolt guns.  I made the mistake of shooting it indoors a few times.  No lie, it shut down the range.  AR pistols were quieter in comparison.  Might be the acoustics of that particular range, who knows?

It's also a good rifle to start a conversation at the range, usually starting with 'what the hell is that?'.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Maybe not the most painful, but most surprisingly unpleasant to shoot - Keltec Sub-2000
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#23]
A CZ Safari Express chambered in .505 Gibbs was the hardest kicking rifle I have fired. Despite it's punishing recoil I had fun with it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:21:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Toss up between a lightweight Tikka in 300WM and my dads PTR-91. The WM felt like a punch every time I fired. The PTR left a massive bruise on the shoulder of everyone who shot it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:37:00 PM EDT
[#25]
One of my friends had one of those break open single shot shotguns chambered in 3 1/2" 10 gauge.  The entire gun probably weighed less than my boots.  The stock was designed by someone with a hard on for shattered collar bones - it was thin and curved to trap every foot-pound of recoil on your poor suffering shoulder.  I knew it was going to suck ass when he handed it to me with a smirk.

I fired one shell and handed it back.  Never ever again. It was like getting punched in the skull by Mike Tyson after you stole his freaking tiger.  

I swear my head still aches from that one shot 35 years later.

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 5:57:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Maybe not the most painful, but most surprisingly unpleasant to shoot - Keltec Sub-2000
View Quote

I forgot about that one. I added an Mcarbo bolt buffer and heavy charging handle. It was still unpleasant and i traded it off.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
P64 sucks because of the grip frame design and being small + blowback.  I’ve shot about all the Makarov variants & it’s notably the worst.
View Quote

I remember when we had the big glut of the 9x18 surplus pistols back in the early 2000s.  I bought a pair of Hungarian PA-63s for a song.  First carry gun as a broke college student.  Trigger like a staple gun, recoiled like a beast.  After two mags worth of ammo, it'll tear open the web of my hand.  Blowback operated with a lightweight alloy frame is a rough mix.  Makes me appreciate modern actions all the more!
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#28]
1898 30/40 Krag when I was 10, my shoulder hurt for a month, reminded every time I stacked a bale of hay that summer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I had for a short time a Taurus .41 magnum 6-shooter with a snubby barrel (2"?). That was a handful.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#30]
As said the 340, a lightweight 300WM, 3-1/2" turkey loads, and hot hevi loads from BPS 10.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Mossberg 835 with Turkey loads.
2 1/4 oz. of lead
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Worst is probably the single shot 12 gauge I have that's chambered for 3" shells.    Running max dram 3" buckshot that thing brings a whole new meaning to the word pain.  Plastic butt plate and 4 3/4 lb IIRC.    2nd worst is my 308 Savage Striker.  I like big bore stuff.   I've been known to put 50 or 100 rounds of 458 WM downrange in an afternoon.  I like big bore pistols.  That thing w/ the brake closed felt like someone was hitting you in the hand hard with a baseball bat every time you pulled the trigger.   I fixed it by managing to work a Hogue grip over that huge flange.  At that point it became fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Ruger All-Weather in 7mmRM.  When I first started out reloading, I would go to the range and run 100rnds through it each time......man, it was so light...it was just violent. I would try to push you off of the bench every time I shot it.

I moved to a CZ 550 Varmint in .308.....super heavy gun, and much more accurate.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:32:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've heard those P64's are no fun to shoot.  Wonder why as 9x18 is about like a .380 for energy.

Strange on the 1903.  My 1903A4 does not seem bad, but that's with the original stock and handguard, which may add some weight.
View Quote

They are blow back operated.

Recoil affects people in different ways depending on build or other factors.
Seen the mention of the m95 styr and 06 already.
I have a buddy that is literally 3 normal sized people in one big fat bastard.
We went out shooting once and I had my Garand and a 1903 out.  He remarked on how he had no idea how I could shoot that much 30_06.
I would hate to think what the 8x65r would do to him.

Revolvers.
There are some I can't shoot simply because the recoil hits me right at the base of the thumb.
My 1917 s&w 45 acp does it to me.
Gp100 match champ in 357 with the original grips did.
S&w 460v not so much.
Must be the grip idk.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
HK 91.  

View Quote

I sold my HK91 after one range trip.  Heavy, terrible trigger, kicked like a mule - worse than a bolt action as I can shoot .308 from a Rem 700 all day.  Terrible rifle.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Seems like the winner so far for numbers is the S&W 340 in .357 Mag, as it should be!

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Savage 110 I built in 300 RUM.  30” heavy contour barrel.  The load i worked up was 110grains of powder, not sure of the bullet, thinking it was 175 match kings… damn accurate…at 200 yards first 2 shots were about 1/h2 inch.  3rd was about an inch off group.  4th shot was ?  By then my eyes were closed, and I was yanking the trigger without my cheek on the stock.  it was an absolutely wicked kick, plus the thing would twist out of the rest and your hands.   VIOLENT.  One time the brim of my hat got just under the edge of the scope and pushed my head back so hard it whiplashed my neck.  My neck hurt for a month.  Only one of 3 guns I’ve ever sold.

Worst pistol….the Ruger 2” snubbie SP101 a guy let me shoot at the range one day, with full on 357 loads.  Twisted in my hands bad.  I think it’s the only pistol I bled from, left me with a flinch for shooting pistols for a while.  I have a S&W 8” 44Mag 629, and it is a pussycat compared to that Ruger.

Shotguns…a cheap pump with a pistol grip I shot at 3 gun one weekend.  I’ll never own a pistol grip shotgun again (like an ar15 stock setup).  The pistol grip transmitted the recoil to my arm and shoulder joint.  Hated it.  I’ve shot slugs, buckshot, 3” mags with other shotguns that, while they kicked like a mule, didn’t hurt me like that thing.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 1:14:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Mosign Nagant 18” cavalry carbine.

Fuck that gun.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#39]
.375 H&H Ackley improved or my dad's Rem m660 .350 Rem Mag the recoil is very sharp and abrupt along with the rifle being very light weight.  I can count on one hand how many times I have shot both.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#40]
20” sport contour barrel 7mag synthetic stock.

Put sixty rounds or so through it because I’m “tough” and my buddy was giving me  shooting tops with his heavy barrel .308 with custom stock and hand loads beside me.

Had a bruise for two weeks after.

He is a 15 year, marine recon sniper with many missions and several deployments.

I killed some eggs and sausages earlier.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Mosign Nagant 18” cavalry carbine.

Fuck that gun.
View Quote

Blasty, with a barrel what, 8 inches shorter than the round was set up for?
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#42]
So besides the occasional true elephant gun like a .460 WM, it sounds like the kick from 7mm / 30 cal / 33 cal Magnums is as bad as it usually gets, from a rifle anyway.  I suppose the true big bores are almost always much heavier than some make a 7mm / 30 cal / 33 cal Magnum, and as said, the bigger rounds with slower bullets have a different recoil feel than the high velocity mags.

Good stuff, now I don't feel like such a sissy from not enjoying a light .300 Win Mag sight in session.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#43]
rifle - my old Springfield 03 Mk1 .30-06.  The stock is so short I cannot get my thumb over the top of it and get my cheek down on the stock to shoot it.  After about 5 shots of my cheek/nose being so far up on the stock/back of the receiver (I'm 6'3" tall with fairly long arms) my nose and cheek are a combination of stinging/numb and my right eye is beginning to water.

Shotgun - my M97 Winchester.  Nothing that heavy should kick that hard.  I haven't hunted with it since about 1982 or 83.  My M37 Ithaca (reputation for recoil due to it's light weight) doesn't hurt me like the M97 does.

Handgun - the M&P 2.0 .45 ACP Compact with the loads meant for the XD .45 5" Tactical.  After about 3 or 4 shots in the smaller/lighter M&P I don't want to shoot those anymore.  The boxes are now marked "XD .45 only".
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Smith and Wesson model 296.  It is a Titanium/Scandium frame, hammerless 44 special made for only two years and recoil is nothing short of fierce.  When I have let friends shoot it, after the first round they have a bit of a puzzled look on their face as if they were wondering if they perceived the recoil properly.  After the second round their face shows that their first perception was accurate, but they will still try it again.  After the third round they usually have a bit of concern on their face, and after the fourth round they will almost always say something about the recoil.  Only a few have fired all five rounds, and only a couple have wanted to fire a second five rounds.  

It is a wonderful gun to carry a lot and seldom shoot because it is extremely light, hence the rather fierce recoil...especially if I have the wood Spegel boot grips on it rather than the stock black rubber grips.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#45]
German Mauser.
Loved the gun but sights were so low my fat face was slammed against the stock for picture. Did not enjoy
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#46]
1  Jungle carbine.  Wouldn't think 303 would kick that hard but it does.

2  Remington 870 with three inch anything.  Hate those guns.  The simply don't fit me.  

I've actually shot a 458 Win Mag and didn't find it all that intimidating.  I knew how to shoot it properly (let the gun rock you back) and it was tolerable.  Same with 375 H&H.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Seems like the winner so far for numbers is the S&W 340 in .357 Mag, as it should be!

View Quote

The state law enforcement academy has one of those in the armory.  Whenever they get a recruit that is a little full of himself, they bring that little b**** out.  I don't think anyone has made it through a full cylinder.  I don't know what Smith was thinking with that thing.  Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#48]
S&W 329 PD.. 4" .44 Magnum.
Kills on both ends.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#49]
I had a single shot 12 gauge that absolutely sucked to shoot.  The recoil was brutal.

I had a Benelli/HK M1 Tactical that would really make you question why you ever shoot it.  Definitely the most unpleasant semi-auto shotgun I've ever fired.  Things got hard financially and I had to sell it.  I miss the shotgun but my shoulder doesn't miss it at all.

I have a Bond Arms Bond Girl Mini .357 mag.   The first couple rounds are uncomfortable but not terrible.  Anything after that gets painful real fast.  I think my maximum is 8 or 10 in a row.

I was at the range one day shooting my GP100 .357 mag and S&W 629 V-Comp .44 mag.  The guy in the lane next to me was shooting a Ruger SP101 .357 mag.  He asked if I wanted to shoot it and since I'd never shot an SP101 I said "yes!".  What I didn't know was that it was loaded with some super hot ammo. That super hot .357 magnum in that little revolver was like having an explosion go off in your hand.  It hurt like hell.  It felt like it was trying to rip itself right out of your hand. I fired two, maybe three rounds and I didn't want anymore.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#50]
- Ruger #3 .45-70 with some insane handloads
- Remington 600, 18.5 inch barrel, 308, light rifle, unpleasant recoil and report
- Winchester M70 featherweight in 30-06 shooting 180 gr bullets
- Winchester Model 37 single shot 12 gauge with heavy loads. They didn't come with a recoil pad. Nasty recoil.
but of all of them.....
- 460 Weatherby, shot without the brake. There is no way in hell I'd shoot that thing off a bench, off hand was bad enough.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top