Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2002 5:09:01 PM EDT
I have a new ROCK RIVER ARMS rra varmint with 20 inch barrel and the Wylde chamber. I need to know what to use for ammo? It dosnt like 55gr. Also can anyone tell me what the Wylde chamber is? I expect this to be a real tack driver when I find the right bullet weight. Anyone have any experience with this rifle? It has a wilson stainless bull barrel and a match trigger and a free float aluminum tube. It is nice. But the ultra max 55gr ammo I sighted the rifle in with wont group well. It did around 2 to 2 1/2 inches. I need to know about the chamber and what to feed this thing with that twist of 1:8
Thanks
Kelly223
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Dont worry about the chamber.  It simply understated, is a hybrid of SAAMI and NATO.  

It's not the bullet weight that I have found that affects grouping at 100yds, as much as it is the quality and consistency of the components, and the cartridge as a whole.

FWIW, I have found three cartridges to be very successful in the RRA 1/8 Varmint upper:

Black Hills Blue box 68gr (50ct)
Black Hills Blue Box 52gr (50ct)
Wichester White box Varmint 45gr (40ct)

All of these group right at 1" all day long.  I have had trouble getting sub MOA reliably, but have had a few .75" groups and one .5" grouping.

I would like to try some Federal gold medal match.  I hear this barrel likes 69gr sierra's.  Dont know yet.

Best ammo of course is going to be a handload worked up for your particular rifle.

Link Posted: 11/19/2002 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]
You might want to check out this thread in the competition forum:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=10&t=152439
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Should like 62grn and heavier bullets.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Should like 62grn and heavier bullets.

And yet, I seem to get my best groups with 45gr.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 1:9 barrel and have found BH 52 very good to 200 yds, and Sierra 69 handloads excellant @ 300 yds.  BH 75 (Hornady I think) also do well @ 300.  I would try the Federal GM 69 for sure.  Sierra 77 have a very good reputation but I don't know if they are available in a factory load.  Check GA Precesion for BH ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top