Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2017 8:20:45 PM EDT
My nephew wants one and I know nothing much about them.  He does not shoot much and while I built him a modern 3 gun AR, he still likes WW2 type hardware and such.  He has a 8mm mouser and SKS.

I told him to either get a VEPR or get a AK74.  Now there appears to be too many choices for me to study up.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It would depend on what era of rifle he wants. Does he want an "AK-47" (Type 3) with a milled receiver? Does he want an AKM in 7.62? An AK-74 or AKS-74? An RPK? As you've discovered, there are a lot of choices as far as models are concerned. I would say as a starting point to avoid IO and Century built rifles. Century imported rifles are fine typically. The Century C39V2 is alright, but they are still plagued with bolt/bolt carrier issues. The WASR would be a good, inexpensive option if he wants an AKM. The VEPRs are great, but may not scratch his "authentic" itch.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't get much better than AEnemaBay chiming in.

I like the Yugos, but they're different enough than most others that it's a pain to change things.

If he really is into WWII stuff, get him a Johnson 1941!
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:59:48 AM EDT
[#3]
the new production WASRs are awesome imo.

i bought one sight unseen from classic firearms, the internet told me i was going to get crap.

fit and finish was amazing, coloring of the wood was exactly what i wanted, trigger is extremely good, i was actually surprised how light and crisp it was, it *feels* like a geiselle AR trigger with a slightly longer reset.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the new production WASRs are awesome imo.

i bought one sight unseen from classic firearms, the internet told me i was going to get crap.

fit and finish was amazing, coloring of the wood was exactly what i wanted, trigger is extremely good, i was actually surprised how light and crisp it was, it *feels* like a geiselle AR trigger with a slightly longer reset.
View Quote
Buy a WASR and ditch the shit wood. End thread. Now that VEPRs are gone that’s the best thing to buy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Buy a WASR and ditch the shit wood. End thread. Now that VEPRs are gone that’s the best thing to buy.
View Quote
i dont have any other AKs to compare to but so far im liking the wood on the wasrs, it could be a little bit darker for my liking but its not horrible.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#6]
If it were me I would find a used WASR made 2014 or later. Mine wasn't the prettiest , but has been the most accurate AK I ever owned, and everything was straight.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

i dont have any other AKs to compare to but so far im liking the wood on the wasrs, it could be a little bit darker for my liking but its not horrible.
View Quote
The woods quality is trash. It dosent hold up to abuse. It’s the cheapest possible junk CIA could put on it. Get some Polish virgin wood from AK Operators Union or Ironwood. That crap that’s on it will wear out or break given enough use. Rob from AKOU has pointed this out on several Century guns.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I found a place with a pallet of WASR 10's.  He will go hand pick a good one Saturday.   That or a PSA MoeKov.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I found a place with a pallet of WASR 10's.  He will go hand pick a good one Saturday.   That or a PSA MoeKov.
View Quote
Do not get a PSA. Get the WASR. War factory real AK. Not a cast metal POS made by minimum wage teens.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Forget the ak and get a cz vz58 and not the century ones
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#11]
WASR is hard to beat for a entry level AK.

My favorites are the Arsenal SGL (Russian) and SLR (Bulgarian) AKMs.  But that’s a totally different budget.

I also have a weakness for Polish AKMS underfolders...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top