Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2017 2:50:10 PM EDT
I have a spare complete SMLE bolt and receiver. The barrel is a bent sewer pipe. I also have some wood removed from some "sporters" I restored over the years. I would love to turn my box of parts into a .45acp plinker and suppressor host. I am not looking to make anything historically correct, just something fun. Any suggestions? I remember kits years ago but they seemed to have dried up about the same time as all the cheap and plentiful surplus SMLEs
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Let us know if you go with Special Interest. I have a Mk 4 No 1 that was converted to 308 Win back in the 60s that I'm considering as a 45 ACP build.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got one of the Special Interest Arms kits.

*Disclaimer: I assembled it myself and broke the ejector*

It's a neat rifle, albeit a little quirky. During assembly I damaged the ejector and removed it from my rifle. As long as you are not being a sissy when running the bolt the majority shells eject fine, despite the demonstration in the video I'm usually 9/10 rounds ejecting right. I'm not really impressed with the kit's standard ejector stud anyways and if I was going to do this again I'd send the receiver to Richard at SIA to have his improved tig welded one installed.

The other quirk seems to be mostly magazine related. I've got Wilson Combat 47D's, Chip McCormic Powermags, and a Remington 1911 mag. The feed lips on 1911 magazines are seemingly too short and if you are not running the bolt like you got a pair the rounds can slip past the feedlips and miss the extractor, thus becoming airborne. The fault in the design of this conversion, in my opinion, is the distance the rounds have to travel from the time they leave the feedlips to being chambered. It is quite a long distance and requires a lot of inertia to maintain. My understanding of the original DeLisle carbine is that the barrel's chamber actually come quite far back into the receiver and there is no long distance for the cartridge to travel

Also, I've also yet to get this gun to reliably feed with more than 5 rounds in the magazine. But like I said, I believe this to be a magazine issue.

Despite all of it's quirks it is one of my favorite rifles to shoot and will be in my collection forever. It's surprisingly quiet. Minimal recoil. I can run it well enough that I would not hesitate to take it out rabbit hunting.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I have e-mailed SIA asking about kits and or conversion services but not yet received a reply. It's only been a couple days. I kinda get the impression from the website that they are not really interested in these projects anymore so I don't know how responsive they will be.

Personally, I would love a conversion kit and the challenge to make something neat out of what is essentially a box of old, take-off, SMLE parts I have right now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#5]
R3, sweet build

I am not looking to do anything that refined. More of a Godfray De Lisle meets Jed Clampett sort of thing.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd slap my own mother for a DeLisle 

The DeLisle: Britain's Silenced .45 ACP Commando Carbine
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtzaVil5joc
View Quote
I just realized that I also have a spare Sterling folding buttstock assembly left over from a parts kit. This build has potential if I can find a .45acp conversion kit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:13:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtzaVil5joc
View Quote
Having a real one (Delisle that is), I can say it is the crown jewel of my collections. It's a 2 tax gun, but worth every penny. And never ceases to put a smile on my face when fired.

It's truly a gentleman's rifle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Having a real one (Delisle that is), I can say it is the crown jewel of my collections. It's a 2 tax gun, but worth every penny. And never ceases to put a smile on my face when fired.

It's truly a gentleman's rifle.
View Quote
Pictures, please! Is it a Valkyrie Arms one?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm out of town with work right now, and it's at my dads place (same trust). It is a valkyrie arms reproduction. Having seen a real one in person and having shot them side by side, I can honestly say the Valkyrie models are the closest anyone is going to get with out a time machine or spending an ungodly amount of money.

They have a few cosmetic differences. But they sound the same and unless you're Ian McCollum you'd probably not be able to tell the difference without having them side by side to compare.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have e-mailed SIA asking about kits and or conversion services but not yet received a reply. It's only been a couple days. I kinda get the impression from the website that they are not really interested in these projects anymore so I don't know how responsive they will be.

Personally, I would love a conversion kit and the challenge to make something neat out of what is essentially a box of old, take-off, SMLE parts I have right now.
View Quote
If you strike out, Rhineland still offers kits for sale, but it will be for Mauser actions here
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#12]
This thread caught me eye because I don't understand why there are still no inexpensive 9mm or 45 bolt actions being produced.  Talk about cheap suppressed fun.  If I did not have my 300 BO I would go insane.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This thread caught me eye because I don't understand why there are still no inexpensive 9mm or 45 bolt actions being produced.  Talk about cheap suppressed fun.  If I did not have my 300 BO I would go insane.
View Quote
It's a pretty small market. SIA started building 9mm bolt guns he starts with the armscor base gun. I've shot one and it is pretty quiet. I just wish there was a cuper cheap simple auto like a camp carbine available currently.

Guess I'll stick with Sub2k and maybe chop it to 5" or so.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's a pretty small market. SIA started building 9mm bolt guns he starts with the armscor base gun. I've shot one and it is pretty quiet. I just wish there was a cuper cheap simple auto like a camp carbine available currently.

View Quote
$750 for the armscor conversion.  If they can make a centerfire bolt rifle for $350 at wal mart, they can do a pistol caliber bolt (much less stress on an action) for $350.

The sub2k would be handy, but still not as quiet as a locked breach gun.

Maybe I need to come up with some sort of bolt lock for my 9mm AR?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Richard at SIA said he's pretty busy with current orders, trying to get them out until Christmas.

I know he's lacking in the customer service field, but he's doing the work and trying to reply to hundred of emails.

My Silent Carbine turned out great! I was sad to see he's shelving any new Silent Carbine orders to focus on new projects.

Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:27:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Richard at SIA said he's pretty busy with current orders, trying to get them out until Christmas.

I know he's lacking in the customer service field, but he's doing the work and trying to reply to hundred of emails.

My Silent Carbine turned out great! I was sad to see he's shelving any new Silent Carbine orders to focus on new projects.

http://i.imgur.com/EU7poGy.jpg
View Quote
NICE

Hope to do a similar build one day on a No.4 I have, (it's present guise is bored out single shot .410)
Luckily, we're not stuck with a $200 type fee here for silencers, etc....and integrally moderated guns are just listed as ".45 rifle" on the paperwork, so not even a need to use a "slot" for the moderator.
We can go down as short as 12" barrels as standard = so just a case of timing the purchase/conversion & getting the gunsmith to do the work

Anyone have a source for Sterling SMG folding stocks/grips?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
$750 for the armscor conversion.  If they can make a centerfire bolt rifle for $350 at wal mart, they can do a pistol caliber bolt (much less stress on an action) for $350.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stress has nothing to do with the pricing it’s all volume. A 9mm bolt gun with detachable mags is every bit as complex as any centerfire.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The stress has nothing to do with the pricing it’s all volume. A 9mm bolt gun with detachable mags is every bit as complex as any centerfire.
View Quote
I won't disagree.  

I just wish they would come up with a smaller length action, budget orientated pistol caliber bolt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top