Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2017 8:55:32 PM EDT
Ok so I've been wanting an M1 carbine and for my 50th the wife says go ahead and get one. I really want a USGI and I found a 1943 National Postal Meter in nice shape but the stock has been refinished and that one point is holding me up from pulling the trigger on the sale. I want those nicks and dings. For me that is where the history is at. But they are not getting any cheaper, so do I just suck it up and change the stock out down the road? Some advice would be great!
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Stocks can be replaced.  Cost is the issue.  Is it a good deal?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The stock is probably the least important and most easily replaced/corrected part.

If the price is right, FO now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:02:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Price is 950.00
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#4]
$950 is about the going price for a carbine these days.  However, I have seen them for a little less around here (NoVA).
If it has a refinished stock on it, and you intend to replace it with an unmolested version, I would start with an offer at $750.  A decent WWII stock will run about $100 or more these days.

You might try Armslist.  I just found this one in PA that is cheaper.

Ntnl Postal Meter M1 Carbine

BTW: Inland produced the most carbines and 'usually' run a little less than the other manufacturers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$950 is about the going price for a carbine these days.  However, I have seen them for a little less around here (NoVA).
If it has a refinished stock on it, and you intend to replace it with an unmolested version, I would start with an offer at $750.  A decent WWII stock will run about $100 or more these days.

BTW: Inland produced the most carbines and 'usually' run a little less than the other manufacturers.
View Quote
I just sent him an email. Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#6]
That is the going rate around here as well.

I would say it depends on you.....all of these little guns have seen at least one refirb in their life....and likely more.  If that is something that is going to stick in your head....then no....if it really does not bother you then go for it....but price the stocks....they are not that cheap anymore as well.

If the stock being nice and pretty I would say wait....NPM is one of the more favored flavors of the little carbine so there is that.....From reading your post and saying the scuffs are its history I would read into that as thinking you should wait....you will find one that has the scuffs if the MFG of the rifle is not that big a deal to you....

That is if it is not something that is not common...like early parts still on the rifle....barrel band and that kind of jazz.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That is the going rate around here as well.

I would say it depends on you.....all of these little guns have seen at least one refirb in their life....and likely more.  If that is something that is going to stick in your head....then no....if it really does not bother you then go for it....but price the stocks....they are not that cheap anymore as well.

If the stock being nice and pretty I would say wait....NPM is one of the more favored flavors of the little carbine so there is that.....From reading your post and saying the scuffs are its history I would read into that as thinking you should wait....you will find one that has the scuffs if the MFG of the rifle is not that big a deal to you....

That is if it is not something that is not common...like early parts still on the rifle....barrel band and that kind of jazz.
View Quote
Honestly if the price was around 750.00 I would probably jump on it but at 950.00 that is an area where I think I can find what I am looking for before they jump in price again. Manufacturer matters in that I'd like one of the better ones like Rock Ola, Inland, Underwood, IBM or NPM. My research indicates I should avoid the newer ones being made and the ones made by Iver Johnson, Plainfield and Universal.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:56:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Honestly if the price was around 750.00 I would probably jump on it but at 950.00 that is an area where I think I can find what I am looking for before they jump in price again. Manufacturer matters in that I'd like one of the better ones like Rock Ola, Inland, Underwood, IBM or NPM. My research indicates I should avoid the newer ones being made and the ones made by Iver Johnson, Plainfield and Universal.
View Quote
IMHO run don't walk away from current offerings....just how I think.

Who made it really does not make it "better"....more desired yea, but they are all about the same, and parts flowed all over the place to keep the production going....the famous UN-Quality is a perfect example.

Just remember that getting one of the companies that made fewer of them is likely to cost a little more.  Last place I saw a more desired MFG was for a Winchester and it was north of $1000.  

Personally I think the prices on this kind of thing are going to hang around where they are now....for a few more years.  These type of items don't really move with the changes on the political landscape....they do inch up, but that is just the way it is.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#9]
USGI guns will always climb in price.   It wasn't that long ago M1 carbines were sitting at $500.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
USGI guns will always climb in price.   It wasn't that long ago M1 carbines were sitting at $500.
View Quote
Last one I bought was roughly 7 years ago....it was for an IBM and I got it for 850

I bought a Winchester roughly 14 years ago and got it for 600

Good prices for the time.

Really IMHO the rifles are under rated....they have to be the most fun thing I have to shoot.

I would really like to find a lever 357 as I think it is going to be about the same....357 and 30 carbine are in the same ball park, I think both of them would just be a hoot.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm almost certain that Armslist post is a scam. Every post that I've seen with the state listed twice with no city has been one. Could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm almost certain that Armslist post is a scam. Every post that I've seen with the state listed twice with no city has been one. Could be wrong though.
View Quote
For what it's worth he never contacted me and i reached out to him twice.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#13]
"I want those nicks and dings."

Don't worry. There is no shortage of genuine, surplus M1 carbine stocks available with PLENTY of nicks and dings
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my Bavaria Forestry Police marked National Postal Meter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top