Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2017 7:51:08 AM EDT
It sorta fits the majority of my shooting needs quite well, however not sure if I need another mouth to feed.

The route would be re-barreling a savage action or finding a true Armalite AR10 compatible barrel.  The easiest would be the Savage, however the AR10 is being under utilized.

My biggest fear is liking the 6.5 caliber too much and then wanting a Grendal for the AR15s.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#1]
do you shoot more at +500yds that closer??

I don't invest time/money in oddball calibres unless I can get my investment back. I can get cheapish/decent 308 and I mostly shoot at ranges where 6.5 does not "beat" 7.62.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
do you shoot more at +500yds that closer??

I don't invest time/money in oddball calibres unless I can get my investment back. I can get cheapish/decent 308 and I mostly shoot at ranges where 6.5 does not "beat" 7.62.
View Quote
Good point.  My club's range extends to 600 yards, so may the 6.5 CM does not hold much benefit over the .308.

That said, maybe a switch to a 6.5 Grendal over one of my 6.8 SPC is in order............
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Good point.  My club's range extends to 600 yards, so may the 6.5 CM does not hold much benefit over the .308.

That said, maybe a switch to a 6.5 Grendal over one of my 6.8 SPC is in order............
View Quote
I am still on the fence about the 6.5 creedmor.  Nothing at all wrong with the round but it is just starting to penetrate the hunting side of the gun market.  It has become huge in the tatical/long range market but those shooters are typically the ones that will switch calibers quickly.   The 6mm creedmor looks to be gaining some traction how that effects the 6.5's sales is a question I want to see before jumping on the 6.5 bandwagon.  It won't disappear but I don't think a cartridge is really established until it penetrates the hunting market completely as those shooters won't change calibers often.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#4]
When I got my 6.5CM, I didn't have any other bolt guns or any guns chambered in .308 or comparable calibers.  

Match ammo in 6.5CM vs. .308 is comparably priced, so no advantage there.  There is no blasting ammo in 6.5CM, but that's not the role of the gun or the caliber.

One advantage I see is that 6.5CM has less recoil than .308, given similar rifles.  Over a day of shooting, that can make a difference.

There is anecdotal evidence that an average 6.5CM rifle is more accurate than an average .308Win rifle.  But, there are outliers on both sides there.

At 100 yards, .223 Rem will get the job done poking holes in paper just as well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Beyond 500 yards, the 6.5 caliber is king.  Like most, I started with .308 for long range.  That was a big mistake, I now know.  The 6.5 bullets just fly so much better and remain supersonic so much further than the .30 pills.

I don't share the group love for the Creedmore, as it duplicates the ballistics of other rounds that have been around a lot longer.

One of the guys who shoots 1K yard with use sometimes brings his 6.5x55 swede for the day's competition.  When winds are light, he's apt to win!

I don't think you're missing a thing by not having a Creedmore.  You are out of the loop, however, if you are not shooting something in 6.5mm, IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When I got my 6.5CM, I didn't have any other bolt guns or any guns chambered in .308 or comparable calibers.  

Match ammo in 6.5CM vs. .308 is comparably priced, so no advantage there.  There is no blasting ammo in 6.5CM, but that's not the role of the gun or the caliber.

One advantage I see is that 6.5CM has less recoil than .308, given similar rifles.  Over a day of shooting, that can make a difference.

There is anecdotal evidence that an average 6.5CM rifle is more accurate than an average .308Win rifle.  But, there are outliers on both sides there.

At 100 yards, .223 Rem will get the job done poking holes in paper just as well.
View Quote
This mirrors my experience.  I've shot a ton of 308s, but never owned one.  I have been shooting the hell out of my Maten/Kreiger build in 6.5CM.

I think the Creedmoor is an easier cartridge to shoot accurately.  Less fatigue due to recoil.  Less wind drift (as mentioned above).

If all you ever intend to do is shoot out 500yds, you'll benefit with a Creedmoor, but the cost may not be worth the benefits.

Shooting at 300yds is boring with a 6.5.  At 500 yds, nice groups are easy.  When the beans and corn are out of the fields, we're going to move it out to 1k and beyond.  We're just looking for a challenge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top