Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2017 11:51:54 PM EDT
Anyone know of an existent or in-the-works replacement trigger for the Beretta ARX100 to change it from absolutely awful to at least usable?

Forrest
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:57:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I put a Shooting Sight trigger in mine.  Made a remarkable difference.

Shooting Sight
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:15:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I put a Shooting Sight trigger in mine.  Made a remarkable difference.

Shooting Sight
View Quote
Thanks for the suggestion.

I saw his youtube installation video but wasn't sure about the quality of the parts (and the 'prototype' in the title).

Your recommendation is enough for me...

Forrest
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:48:23 AM EDT
[#3]
How is it awful? It's heavy but extremely crisp
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:55:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How is it awful? It's heavy but extremely crisp
View Quote
Yours, perhaps....

Mine is heavy and not crisp...

Forrest
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yours, perhaps....

Mine is heavy and not crisp...

Forrest
View Quote
Both of mine.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine is also heavy but very crisp. I like it way more than a GI AR trigger. I don't understand the hate it gets. It's no Geissele, and the Shooting Sight trigger is very popular, but for a stock service rifle trigger it's not as bad as people make it sound.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm glad you guys are enjoying your original OEM ARX100 triggers.

I'll be replacing mine...

Forrest

Edited to make clear what trigger I plan to replace...
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#8]
The triggers are CNC machined from Rolled Plate Tool Steel, which was selected because it has better tensile and fatigue properties than cast steel.  It is a 2-stage trigger with about 5lb of pull force.  Sears are lapped and have NiB coating, so the first stage is smooth, and because of the honed edges, the break is way sharp.

The prototype video is out there only because I made a small run of prototypes several years ago that I sent out to a half dozen people on the Beretta Forum to get help in testing and generate feedback.  I did not intend for the video to be used once I finished the design and went into production - I guess I just didn't count on the fact that people will search for videos, rather than read the included written instructions.  Maybe my project for today needs to be to redo the video. :-)

The production trigger is slightly different from the prototype, the two biggest differences are that the trigger is the same width as the OEM trigger to fill the hole, and that the hammer has an integrated bushing for the hub, rather than use two spacers.  I also made a change in the included tools, where I had an alignment pin with a handle, and I had a steel tube to capture a spring end.  I found a tube the right diameter and so integrated those two tools into one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The triggers are CNC machined from Rolled Plate Tool Steel, which was selected because it has better tensile and fatigue properties than cast steel.  It is a 2-stage trigger with about 5lb of pull force.  Sears are lapped and have NiB coating, so the first stage is smooth, and because of the honed edges, the break is way sharp.

The prototype video is out there only because I made a small run of prototypes several years ago that I sent out to a half dozen people on the Beretta Forum to get help in testing and generate feedback.  I did not intend for the video to be used once I finished the design and went into production - I guess I just didn't count on the fact that people will search for videos, rather than read the included written instructions.  Maybe my project for today needs to be to redo the video. :-)

The production trigger is slightly different from the prototype, the two biggest differences are that the trigger is the same width as the OEM trigger to fill the hole, and that the hammer has an integrated bushing for the hub, rather than use two spacers.  I also made a change in the included tools, where I had an alignment pin with a handle, and I had a steel tube to capture a spring end.  I found a tube the right diameter and so integrated those two tools into one.
View Quote
The trigger is great, I have one on one of my rifles now. But I do wish it wasn't rubber coated. Probably the only one who thinks that, though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks for the update, Art.

In no way was my comment above meant to be negative about the SS ARX100 trigger and I apologize if it came across that way.

Since I don't have the trigger yet (with the included written instructions), I only had the video to go by (and I enjoyed the video too).

I'll have an order for the trigger coming your way in a day or two...

Forrest
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got one of SS's triggers also. It's a vast improvement.

That said, the OEM trigger feels horrible when slow firing, such as zeroing the rifle. When I'm shooting at a match on the clock and focussing on sight picture an moving, I never actually notice the trigger and it didn't seem to effect getting hits.

AJ
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I recently put one in my girlfriends rifle and it was a GREAT improvement!!!  The original factory trigger was off my trigger pull scale and even my HK91 with a reputation for a heavy military trigger was better than the factory trigger on that Beretta.  Line many, I used the video to aide in the replacement of the trigger but I also used the inclosed instructions where things differed from the video.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Arts (ShootingSight) trigger is single handedly the best improvement that can be installed into the ARX.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:43:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Order on it's way at the speed of light, Art.

I look forward to 'playing' with the rifle with its new trigger...

Forrest
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I lucked out with an OEM trigger that was crisp and probably only about 8 pounds or so. However, I still put a Shooting Sight trigger in. Highly recommended. The trigger SURFACE feels obviously a lot different, but as far as usage, it feels like a very slightly heavier version of my Geissele SSF. Which is high praise because I love the hell out of my SSF. Perfect middle ground. Not so light that it's too light for a combat trigger, not so heavy that it interferes with accurate shooting.

Quoted:
Order on it's way at the speed of light, Art.

I look forward to 'playing' with the rifle with its new trigger...

Forrest
View Quote
If I could go back to before I put my SS trigger in my ARX, the one thing I would have done is order one of these from Brownells. Turns out it's the exact right dimensions for driving out the ARX's safety roll pin without causing any cosmetic damage, even if you have to do it backwards. The factory buggered up the end of my roll pin and it could only be driven out backwards. I scraped up the inside of my ARX doing it. Subsequent removals using the Brownells tool have been a breeze.

EDIT: AR15.com breaks the link. Copy and paste manually: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bolt-tools/dissassembly-tools/bolt-catch-pin-punch-prod26484.aspx
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Received the Shooting Sight trigger...

Very quick shipping...

Will get to installing it sometime over the next few days...

Forrest
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Received the Shooting Sight trigger...

Very quick shipping...

Will get to installing it sometime over the next few days...

Forrest
View Quote
Be sure to set aside an hour with no other distractions. Its easy to install, but has a couple of tricky parts that require your absolute attention.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:10:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, I had a short bit of time so I installed the Shooting Sight unit.

All I can say is, wow, what a difference...

I should be able to get out and test it for real within the next few days.  I must admit that I'm really looking forward to that...

Forrest
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#19]
As a follow-up, I just thought that I'd mention again how much of an improvement over the OEM trigger the one that Art Neergaard at ShootingSight.com is...

When I first installed the trigger and tried it, I thought, well, crap, it's so light that it's dangerous.  Must be about a 1 lb pull...

So I threw the gage on it and, well, 5 lbs, just like Art said...  It's just that it's such a dramatic improvement over the heavy, crappy OEM trigger (my apologies to those who like the original trigger) that it feels so light when you first try it after installation.

I've been shooting the rifle a bit and am extremely happy with the trigger.  For those of you sitting on the fence about coughing up the money for the ShootingSight trigger, my advice is to bite the bullet (so to speak) and just get one.  After installing and using it, you'll kick yourself for waiting so long before doing it...

I'm still not completely happy with the accuracy of the ARX-100 I have, but I certainly can't blame the trigger anymore...

Forrest
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 12:53:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As a follow-up, I just thought that I'd mention again how much of an improvement over the OEM trigger the one that Art Neergaard at ShootingSight.com is...

When I first installed the trigger and tried it, I thought, well, crap, it's so light that it's dangerous.  Must be about a 1 lb pull...

So I threw the gage on it and, well, 5 lbs, just like Art said...  It's just that it's such a dramatic improvement over the heavy, crappy OEM trigger (my apologies to those who like the original trigger) that it feels so light when you first try it after installation.

I've been shooting the rifle a bit and am extremely happy with the trigger.  For those of you sitting on the fence about coughing up the money for the ShootingSight trigger, my advice is to bite the bullet (so to speak) and just get one.  After installing and using it, you'll kick yourself for waiting so long before doing it...

I'm still not completely happy with the accuracy of the ARX-100 I have, but I certainly can't blame the trigger anymore...

Forrest
View Quote
Make sure it's the ARX and not your technique.

I don't have the greatest accuracy with the ARX, but it definitely isn't the rifle's fault... with Art's trigger I was able to get multiple 1.5 MOA groups out of 2006 Lake City M855 from a benchrest at a range with an olympic zeroing tunnel setup, which is probably about as accurate as that ammo can possibly get. I need to go back there and try again with actual match ammo.

I could've just gotten a lucky barrel too though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 1:12:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Make sure it's the ARX and not your technique.

I don't have the greatest accuracy with the ARX, but it definitely isn't the rifle's fault... with Art's trigger I was able to get multiple 1.5 MOA groups out of 2006 Lake City M855 from a benchrest at a range with an olympic zeroing tunnel setup, which is probably about as accurate as that ammo can possibly get. I need to go back there and try again with actual match ammo.

I could've just gotten a lucky barrel too though.
View Quote
There is always that, of course...

Forrest
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top