Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2017 9:30:29 AM EDT
I have been agonizing over a medium-bore rifle for some time now and I don't want a magnum caliber. I want something that if I ever got the chance to go to Alaska or other place, where moose and elk may be an option and where brownies might inhabit, that it would be enough gun to do the job.

So here are the choices I've narrowed it down to:
Browning BLR Take-down in .358win 20" bbl

Sako 85 Synthetic Stainless in 9.3x62 22" bbl

Ruger No. 1 in .35 Whelen 24" bbl

Remington 7600 in .35 Whelen 22" bbl, if I can find one

CZ 550 FS 9.3x62 20.5" bbl

I know CZ makes the 550 FS in 9.3x62 but it has the full-length Mannlicher stock, 20.5" bbl and lacks a detachable mag, which is a feature I want. I'm leaning hard for a repeater for the off-chance of a bear encounter, pump being the fastest, followed by the BLR, the Sako and No. 1. I also get that the pump is probably the most complicated design followed by the BLR, No. 1 and Sako and would stand up to abuse and neglect the least.
I also plan to put a Leupold FX-II 4x33 or even the FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20 on it, but not sure how the ultralight would stand up to the heavy recoil over time.

Also .35 Whelen may be the cheapest and more available cartridge of the bunch. I know it will come down to personal preference, but I need to hear other points of view, hopefully from those with experience with any of the aforementioned rifles in these calibers in harsh conditions.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Although neither is on your list I would recommend a Ruger Alaskan .375 Ruger if you can find one for sale, or a Savage Alaskan Brush Hunter also in. 375 Ruger.

Not a magnum, kill anything on the planet, and both are specifically designed both in materials and configuration for dangerous game.

I bought the Ruger, but had I not been able to find one the Savage was next in line. Stainless/Synthetic and short(er) barrel were to the top of my concerns immediately following effective chambering. Currently factory loaded in 250,270,300gr.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the 9.62 and 35 whelen would be the choices for hunting brownies out of what you listed.  For elk and moose any would work fine.  35 whelen probably gives a little more range for elk than the other 2 choices.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Although neither is on your list I would recommend a Ruger Alaskan .375 Ruger if you can find one for sale, or a Savage Alaskan Brush Hunter also in. 375 Ruger.

Not a magnum, kill anything on the planet, and both are specifically designed both in materials and configuration for dangerous game.

I bought the Ruger, but had I not been able to find one the Savage was next in line. Stainless/Synthetic and short(er) barrel were to the top of my concerns immediately following effective chambering. Currently factory loaded in 250,270,300gr.
View Quote
That may be true of the .375 Ruger, but now we're over 40 ft. lbs of recoil, no thanks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That may be true of the .375 Ruger, but now we're over 40 ft. lbs of recoil, no thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem.

I am however of the opinion that recoil energy falls into the same department as wind chill factor and heat index. It makes it sound much worse than it actually is. A good recoil pad and properly designed stock mitigate those concerns as well.

Of your choices the CZ would be my choice and was on my list while I was sorting things out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I really like the 9.3x62 and have been wanting to get one for a while. It seems to me an awesome European caliber that never caught on too well in the US. It can throw heavier bullets than the 35 whelen, but reloading components and ammo are obviously harder to come by. The cz550 is also an awesome value. It offers a crf action in a beautiful stock for a very low price point. Controlled round feed is preferred for dangerous game so I think the 550 in 9.3 would be an awesome choice for grizzlies. The manlicher stock is just too cool as well
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#7]
of what you listed i'd pick the sako, has control round feeding and it's supposed to be more refined than the Tikka's which already have buttery smooth actions!

the sako 85 grizzly is also a sexy beast! available in 9.3x62 and 9.3x66
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:31:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
of what you listed i'd pick the sako, has control round feeding and it's supposed to be more refined than the Tikka's which already have buttery smooth actions!

View Quote
You are right about that, it and the Bavarian Carbine are lookers

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Seconded.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I've always wanted a .35 Whelen.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:35:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Tough choice for me between A, C, & D... all on my 'want-but-can't-justify' list.  But straight-gripped lever guns are nearly unshootable for me, and you're talking about close encounters of the brown, hairy kind - so the single-shot is out.  Pump rifle it is. 
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#12]
The Sako is probably the nicest action of all those, but that CZ is such a sweet little rifle. 9.3 is a great caliber, but I'd personally pursue a .35 Whelen. I've always loved that cartridge.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:10:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Working a turn bolt and loading and unloading the mag is a pain. So if I were to go with a bolt it would need to have a detachable mag.

I have two 870's so the familiarity with the 7600 would be a bonus.

I know many turn their noses up at the Remmy pump, but it would fit me and my purposes the best.

If I can't find one in whelen I'll get one in .30-06 and convert it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If I can't find one in whelen I'll get one in .30-06 and convert it.
View Quote
I'm still kicking myself for not picking up the 7600 Whelen in Maple when I saw it on the shop wall 8 years ago. 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm voting 9.3 x 62.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a CZ 550 FS Mannlicher stock in 9.3x62mm and it is fantastic. Shoots sub-MOA (5 shot groups) with a variety of loads and
is a lot of fun. But it lacks the detachable mag you want. Plus they are discontinuing them this year so might be hard to find.

I would go with the Sako. Beautiful rifle........wowza.........great features and although expensive would be a really nice piece.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#17]
How about a Savage in .338 Federal? It has detachable magazines and it seems like a good round
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How about a Savage in .338 Federal? It has detachable magazines and it seems like a good round
View Quote
it's a small step above a .308. I feel a .308 is more versatile and you can run heavy for caliber bullets and equal/exceed the performance of the .338 fed.

savage also offers some rifles in .338 win mag then you get back into the same or better power realm of the medium bores.  but if that's the case why stop there? they have those bear hunters (nice rifle in my opinion for the price point)or the Alaskan brush hunter in 375 ruger!
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got a pre WWII Czech BRNO 98 action sitting in the safe waiting for me to one day build it into a 9.3x62.  But the amount of work needed I'll be cheaper getting the CZ550.

CD
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm still undecided and am now leaning heavily towards the BLR in .358 Winchester. I am just completely turned off by any bolt actions, the good ones with smooth actions are prohibitively expensive anyway. The action of the BLR is simple and quick to operate and robust.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I think if I do a .358 Winchester it will be a AR10.

CD
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think if I do a .358 Winchester it will be a AR10.

CD
View Quote
If semi-auto, an AR10 would certainly be entertaining in that caliber. But the BLR is much more svelte and lighter and with a manual action, expect it to be more reliable.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If semi-auto, an AR10 would certainly be entertaining in that caliber. But the BLR is much more svelte and lighter and with a manual action, expect it to be more reliable.
View Quote
I don't know that I'd call the BLR svelte.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't know that I'd call the BLR svelte.
View Quote
you could probably find a nice old used 336 marlin in 35 Remington if a lever is in your sights. price may not be as bad as you think. I had one and it was pretty nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top