Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2017 12:18:47 AM EDT
Have 2 bolt action .308s. Want a .308 semi. Don't hunt much. Have plenty of 5.56 ARs. Max budget around 1200. Have wanted an FAL since watching Heat. More familiar with AR controls.  Don't really plan on using this for SHTF as limited training time goes to AR-15s.

Looking at DSA voyager 18", or one of the now apparently widespread Ar-10 variants. Have had less than great results with PSA, so not keen on keen on their budget PA-10s. In all honesty will most likely not be shot all that often. CETME/PTR does t speak to me like an FAL, but I'm open to arguments on their behalf.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:03:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#2]
For a .308 autoloader on budget, I'd encourage you to look at the Armalite Defender 10.

https://armalite.com/shop/defensive-sporting-rifle-10/

Don't pay MSRP, they can frequently be found under $1000 and sometimes under $900. Solid rifle. Very well-built, with Armalite's experience behind it. Takes SR25 mags. Decent aftermarket support.

If you're looking to heavily customize, you should probably look at the DPMS 308s or one that uses that pattern. There's a ton of stuff out for this platform.

I'd also look at the DPMS G2, but finding one under $1200 will be tough. You can probably find one for a little over $1200, if Bud's is any indication.

PTR-91s are also in the price range. I love the rifles, as well as the FAL and have owned all three. The .308 AR platform, in my opinion, is more versatile and is more easily customized. If I were going to own one .308, it'd be an AR-pattern or a SCAR, more than likely.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want any sort of optic, the AR type will be your best choice.
Armalite is always a good choice there.

FALs are nice and optics can be added, but the irons on them work very well.  A good FAL will push the 1200 budget tho.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Schuyler Arms has Aero Precision AR10 builder kits starting at $350 for black and $390 for FDE. That's for the lower, upper, and handguard. That leaves you $800 to buy a barrel, bolt group, lpk, and furniture. But, I didn't see yousay whether you wanted to build or buy. Check the EE, there is usually some pretty decent deals in there. I recommend staying with the AR10 platform since the controls are the same as your AR15's.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#5]
My PTR 91 was 900 bucks with a welded on optic rail. Mags are dirt cheap for a man on a budget. They are amazingly reliable, and don't kick nearly as hard as the internet would have you believe.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#6]
the DPMS G2 http://dpms-gii.com/full.html#configurations rifle in .308 is tempting and certain models are within your budget.  

Check out http://www.galleryofguns.com/Retailer/default.aspx to find dealers in your area, pick a dealer, then search for the firearm you want, then click the quote to see what that dealer charges (uusually less than MSRP).
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll third the DPMS G2 suggestion and echo that it might be pushing your budget a little bit. A $150 rebate expired recently, although there's a $50 rebate in effect for a while yet.  

I expected the new design to catch on quicker than it has over the couple years they've been out, but hey, not all your wishes come true.  Aftermarket support is still limited, especially compared to the older DPMS or even Armalite pattern rifles. That said, they did a pretty good job at keeping the weight and length down, although the factory quad rail on some models is a heavy clunker.  Accuracy and reliability has been pretty good according to a friend that had one, although there were some teething pains with earlier models and an adjustable gas block is a good idea if you intend to add a suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the info.  Sounds like an AR10 variant is good first purchase.  I like the idea of building my own (have done so for most of my ARs) but  Also like the idea of the G2 lightweight/compact pattern.  Looks like the two are mutually exclusive at this time?

ETA: also would like 18-20" barrel for velocity and concussion/noise.  Suppressor is a ways off and 16" .308 are LOUD.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#9]
In the same boat, fam. Looking at either a PTR-91 or a DSA SA58 Voyager 21", leaning towards the FAL.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In the same boat, fam. Looking at either a PTR-91 or a DSA SA58 Voyager 21", leaning towards the FAL.
View Quote
I have both FAL's- 5- and a PTR. The PTR is fun to shoot and I like it since it is such a unique and quirky rifle, but the FAL has it beat handily.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:58:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Are the DSA voyagers GTG or what?  Is there a consensus opinion on them?   Atlantic has the 18" for a grand I think.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info.  Sounds like an AR10 variant is good first purchase.  I like the idea of building my own (have done so for most of my ARs) but  Also like the idea of the G2 lightweight/compact pattern.  Looks like the two are mutually exclusive at this time?

ETA: also would like 18-20" barrel for velocity and concussion/noise.  Suppressor is a ways off and 16" .308 are LOUD.
View Quote
Yes, building and the G2 are nearly exclusive at this time. DPMS has released upper and lower receivers on occasion, but barrels are tough to source last I knew. Where there's a will, there's a way, but it's not really practical to build at this time IMO.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#13]
DEF 10 A Model.  Excellent weapon.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Savage MSR10?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:33:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Totally different direction M1 garand in 308
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 4:35:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Have had less than great results with PSA, so not keen on keen on their budget PA-10s
View Quote

I know you've had your issues, but I'd jump in on one PSA's sub $500 .308 AR deals and build from there.  Strip the barrel and forend off, go with a premium barrel and pick a forend, and sell the extra stuff on the EE.  You'll still be into the gun for less than $7-800, and will be a solid rifle.  Take the money you save and spend it on optics, mounts, or even a match trigger group.

eta:  I did this with a PTAC/PSA .308 AR I bought earlier this year.  I sold off the factory barrel, and installed a Rainier Arms match 18" barrel and Midwest Industries free float keymod forend.  I also picked up a POF 4.5lb trigger group, and added a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 in a Vortex mount.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:56:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are the DSA voyagers GTG or what?  Is there a consensus opinion on them?   Atlantic has the 18" for a grand I think.
View Quote
My 16" Voyager has been 100%
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Totally different direction M1 garand in 308
View Quote
Yep. CMP offers these .308 variants as "M1 Specials" at or near the OP's stated price-point.

Old School semi-auto, but that 7.62 Criterion tube that CMP's armorers install on the USGI M1 receiver is really accurate. Stocked in new wood, it's beautiful as well. Love mine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Both of my 308 semi autos are FALs.

That said, get the Armalite recommended earlier in the thread. Better accuracy potential, better options for triggers and muzzle devices as well.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Eat some ramen and xcr-m is yor answer.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Eat some ramen and xcr-m is yor answer.
View Quote
After beholding the awesomeness that is my XCR-L, I really wanted to get the -M. However, I can build a .308 AR with kickass parts for half the price, and I already have the BCG and receivers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:23:52 AM EDT
[#23]
LMT MRP LM8. Great .308 AR.

The Brits adopted the MWS variant as their service 7.62 semi. While the MWS is fully railed on the forend, the LM8 comes sans rails at 3, 6, & 9  - unless you add them, so it's a tad lighter in weight.

The MRP platform allows you to swap in not only .308 barrels of different lengths, but also barrels chambered for other .308-derivative cartridges, like the .260
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#24]
A do-all semi 308 is the FAL.  Better ergo than M1A, sexier than a budget AR10, and prices are down at the moment.

The Voyager gets a bad rap for its cast receiver, but actual owners report (in my experience) that they're fine.  At $999.99, they're priced better than 90s kit built FALs.

Avoid the Hk91 type.  They're good in the "I have six battle rifles, what should I get next" category, but NOT as you're main one.

If you wanted to go no-pistol-grip for any reason, the Argy FN49s are lovely, but pricey.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:26:07 AM EDT
[#25]
The most versatile gun would be an AR10 variant.. Lot of offerings with good prices out there.

If you just want a Classic firearm as range toy... FAL, Garand or even an AK style rifle should fit your budget like the zastava pap or the vepr.

I have a StG-58 but I'm seriously considering to get a Garand as well
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Have 2 bolt action .308s. Want a .308 semi. Don't hunt much. Have plenty of 5.56 ARs. Max budget around 1200. Have wanted an FAL since watching Heat. More familiar with AR controls.  Don't really plan on using this for SHTF as limited training time goes to AR-15s.

Looking at DSA voyager 18", or one of the now apparently widespread Ar-10 variants. Have had less than great results with PSA, so not keen on keen on their budget PA-10s. In all honesty will most likely not be shot all that often. CETME/PTR does t speak to me like an FAL, but I'm open to arguments on their behalf.

Thoughts?
View Quote

Is your budget the gun plus scope, or just the gun?

It's a little over, but a S&W M&P10 can be had for about $1300.

Otherwise, Armalite AR10 Defender.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Is your budget the gun plus scope, or just the gun?

It's a little over, but a S&W M&P10 can be had for about $1300.

Otherwise, Armalite AR10 Defender.
View Quote
Both are excellent choices. "Get both" works here, too.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A do-all semi 308 is the FAL.  Better ergo than M1A, sexier than a budget AR10, and prices are down at the moment.
View Quote
An FAL is really hard to beat, plus it's not hard to get one with a hefty side helping of history.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Kel tec rfb pretty fun too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top