Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2017 12:04:51 PM EDT
I've got some spare gun parts I'd like to box up and store.   Is cosmoline commercially available or is there another product that would do the same thing?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is cosmoline commercially available?
View Quote

Of course!

http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosmoline-for-firearms/
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Birchwood Casey RIG
It is much easier to remove than cosmoline as well. 
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#5]
boeshield

/thread
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Codmoline is used for a lot of stuff besides guns. It's most definitely still available
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:19:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Birchwood Casey RIG
It is much easier to remove than cosmoline as well. 
View Quote
This, RIG is the best stuff on the planet.  Easily wipes away too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:04:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Or you could wrap it in vapor paper and put in a bag or sealed container.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:17:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This, RIG is the best stuff on the planet.  Easily wipes away too.
View Quote
Probably why it performs so poorly:

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:29:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Lps 3
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Do those airtight bags work?  Have a few rifles for the kids... in about 2 decades.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:53:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lps 3
View Quote
This, been using it for a couple decades now. The older stuff was better then the newer stuff, think they removed some of the carrier that let it flow a bit better.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Rig no.2 oil was used in the test. Totally different than rig grease. Rig grease is used for long term storage not lubrication. I recently cleaned some rig grease off guns that was put on 30 years ago. No rust.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Rig no.2 oil was used in the test. Totally different than rig grease. Rig grease is used for long term storage not lubrication. I recently cleaned some rig grease off guns that was put on 30 years ago. No rust.
View Quote

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I know several collectors who have used it for the last 40 years and swear by it. I did not mean to say it is the only thing to use or the best thing in 100% humidity. Also Brownells sells rust veto which is or like cosmoline. A lot depends on where it is stored.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:02:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Jeff explains his testing process: "The steel panels were 4"x12" cold-rolled steel test panels, made by ACT corporation. They were degreased with MEK and paper towels, then one drop (or drop-sized blob for the RIG grease) of the various lubes were applied. Lubes were smeared around semi-evenly by my Mark-1 uncalibrated right-hand index finger.
I suspect he did something wrong, or the test was biased. I've used RIG grease for 7 years as a professional gunsmith in the humidity of Louisiana, and it's awesome. RIG was introduced in 1935. When they stopped making it (in 2008), we had enough to use in the shop for a while. The front retail store sold out quickly. Later, we had an oilfield man stop by looking for some. He had been instructed by his boss to locate any still in stock anywhere, and purchase it at any price.

I was pleased that Birchwood Casey picked it up and did not alter the formulation at all. It's just sulfonated petroleum jelly, but works great as both a grease and rust preventative.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:31:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I suspect he did something wrong, or the test was biased. I've used RIG grease for 7 years as a professional gunsmith in the humidity of Louisiana, and it's awesome. RIG was introduced in 1935. When they stopped making it (in 2008), we had enough to use in the shop for a while. The front retail store sold out quickly. Later, we had an oilfield man stop by looking for some. He had been instructed by his boss to locate any still in stock anywhere, and purchase it at any price.

I was pleased that Birchwood Casey picked it up and did not alter the formulation at all. It's just sulfonated petroleum jelly, but works great as both a grease and rust preventative.
View Quote
This is what blows me away about this site.  People are always exclaiming "xx is the best ever" based on a data sample of one. I have no doubt it works, and that it worked for you in your applications.  However to say it is better than other options requires a controlled test and that is what was posted.  A corrosion inhibitor may do just fine for casual use, but that doesn't mean it won't fall well behind other options in accelerated testing or harsh conditions.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I did not claim it was the best ever. I simply shared my experience. It wasn't casual use, and it was a sample of use on hundreds of guns, some of which came back to me after long-term harsh use in wet conditions. I only see one plate in that posted test which used RIG. I've got no financial or emotional interest in Birchwood Casey's product.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
boeshield

/thread
View Quote
For long term storage I wipe down with Boeshield and wrap with VCI plastic to seal.

AJ
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#20]
What I did with my AK parts kits was to clean the cosmo off then apply Eezox for storage.

Eezox also fixed the surface rust issue I was having with my 870.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Brownells Rust Veto
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Dad used this for 70 years. Never had a problem with rust even with guns kept in vinyl/flannel cases (which held moisture).

I like this. It tests well and requires no degreasing before normal use.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I have  never seen anything better than Rig Grease.  My cleaning kit always contains a RIG Rag, which is just a rag with Rig on it.  I'd put on a bit thicker if long term storage.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Fluid film.  Available at your local Auto parts store.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top