Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 124
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Did someone mention in this thread, that someone is machining 300 blackout barrels for this gun?
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BravoSector1:
I'm glad I sold mine and the barrel assembly. Added another SCAR to the stable.
View Quote

Why are you glad...there is nothing wrong with the ARX100...
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Classic has them back but $100 more than last time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By thehun06:

Why are you glad...there is nothing wrong with the ARX100...
View Quote

Just got mine last week and was surprised how much I like it, going to put a 1.5x Leupold on it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#5]
$999 is still a great price for this rifle...in my opinion...sure $799 was better...but still...
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#6]
$999 is still a great price for this rifle...in my opinion...sure $799 was better...but still...
View Quote

It's Classic though, so they probably saw a bunch of quick sales and raised the price because they figured they'd be popular. So if  no one buys them at current price, they'll drop back down I'm sure.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By NightOwl:

It's Classic though, so they probably saw a bunch of quick sales and raised the price because they figured they'd be popular. So if  no one buys them at current price, they'll drop back down I'm sure.
View Quote

Or they'll sell out and you won't be able to find any...

Is the more expensive bird in the hand worth more than the less expensive one in the bush?

Perhaps...

Forrest

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Buds did that but they only bumped their 2nd batch up by $50 I believe.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ftierson:

Is the more expensive bird in the hand worth more than the less expensive one in the bush?

Perhaps...

Forrest

View Quote

Almost made that judgment call on my 551A1......and then there were none. Speaking of Beretta, I was waiting for the CX4 to hit the shores again, 3 years later
I found a mint used one for $550 so I jumped on it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ftierson:

View Quote

Hey, I bought mine from Botach a long time ago, so all the latecomers can make up their own minds. :)

I do wonder what the sweet spot is for the ARX sales, where they sell consistently. Random places seem to get a batch of them, sell out, then it moves to another place. But they DO seem to be selling pretty regularly.

Likewise, for the short barrel it was gone for an eternity, so I got one as soon as a coupon code hit. Wonder if the sales of them showed Beretta there IS some interest for the gun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Im glad i fo'ed when I did. Got mine ftom sportsmans outdoor a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Kentucky Gun Co also had them in that $900 range. Beretta probably just put a run of them out.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By vellnueve:
Kentucky Gun Co also had them in that $900 range. Beretta probably just put a run of them out.
View Quote

I had this thought they they have like, a bunch of orders. Say Buds wants 200, and Classic wants 200, and whoever is next wants 200. Then they have one guy in the factory making ARX100's, one at a time, all by himself. When he finishes 200, he boxes it up and sends it to Buds. Then he starts on the next order, slowly humming to himself as he assembles rifles until he hits 200 again, and sends those to Classic.

It's not really like that I'd assume, but it's a funny image for me. Perhaps picturing the guy loading up his truck with the 200 rifles when they're ready and driving off to deliver them himself.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TATBME:
Did someone mention in this thread, that someone is machining 300 blackout barrels for this gun?
View Quote

Yes, I think it was about 50 to 60 pages ago. I ordered my ARX100 from Botach and when it arrived it had two check boxes on the end of the box. One said 5.56 and the other said 300 blackout.

IIRC there are a couple of YouTube videos that make mention of it and how quickly the barrels and calibers can be changed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Firecop203:

I ordered my ARX100 from Botach and when it arrived it had two check boxes on the end of the box. One said 5.56 and the other said 300 blackout.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I am am still wishing in one hand for the 7.63x39 kit, I feel like I know what I am doing in the other hand.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#17]
That just means they intended to do a 300blk when they made the box years ago. Doesn't mean they ever did, or will, make the actual barrels.

We've also discussed the 7.62X39 before, and I'd buy one if they made one, but I don't really think a conversion kit makes a lot of sense. They list the barrel as $500+, so barrel+bolt+lower? Might be the same price as just buying the total gun, so might as well make the guns and not worry about the kits.

It would be sweet to get more stuff for the gun, and a new version with some minor differences (including the cut out to take Magpul 3rd gen, and cutting down the fence of the magwell so it takes a wider range of mags in general), would be great.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#18]
$500 may be what the barrels go for, but Beretta could certainly sell them for a lot less. If not, they couldn't sell the whole rifle to Academy for a dealer price that is obviously under $799.

If Beretta got their heads out of their butts, with minimal tooling, they could have:

Cleaned the lines up.
A3 barrel vents.
Lower that took AR FCG components and grips.
7.62x39, 300, 6.5G conversion kits.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By glklvr:
$500 may be what the barrels go for, but Beretta could certainly sell them for a lot less. If not, they couldn't sell the whole rifle to Academy for a dealer price that is obviously under $799.
View All Quotes

Obviously they make it for less than the $500 price, since I used a coupon and bought it for $300+. But, the discount level would by nature be consistant across the products, right? Generally wholesale for Beretta (price distributors sell to dealers) is like 30 or 40% off retail. But, you can't compare cost for barrel vs selling price for complete gun. All that said, retail for the complete gun is still listed as $1950 on their site, and that is obviously no longer accurate. If they decided to have a 7.62X39 kit retail for $1000 on the premise that the gun retails for $1950, who would buy it if they also made a complete gun that sold for $800 street?

If Beretta got their heads out of their butts, with minimal tooling, they could have:

Cleaned the lines up.
A3 barrel vents.
Lower that took AR FCG components and grips.
7.62x39, 300, 6.5G conversion kits.

I think AR grips would be easy enough, but AR FCG might be a bit more of a change.
The "minimal tooling" thing though, is to an expensive mold for the plastic. They are very expensive, but then materials are cheap so overall it's good. Doing so to both the master mold for receiver and also the lower and also... well, at some point you still need to justify the cost vs the number of units sold.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#20]
For the 300 Blackout the only thing they would have to change is the barrel blank. It makes the most sense to just come out with this conversion.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Obviously they make it for less than the $500 price, since I used a coupon and bought it for $300+. But, the discount level would by nature be consistant across the products, right? Generally wholesale for Beretta (price distributors sell to dealers) is like 30 or 40% off retail. But, you can't compare cost for barrel vs selling price for complete gun. All that said, retail for the complete gun is still listed as $1950 on their site, and that is obviously no longer accurate. If they decided to have a 7.62X39 kit retail for $1000 on the premise that the gun retails for $1950, who would buy it if they also made a complete gun that sold for $800 street?

I think AR grips would be easy enough, but AR FCG might be a bit more of a change.
The "minimal tooling" thing though, is to an expensive mold for the plastic. They are very expensive, but then materials are cheap so overall it's good. Doing so to both the master mold for receiver and also the lower and also... well, at some point you still need to justify the cost vs the number of units sold.
View Quote

Beretta Defense probably sent their old molds to the US for the domestic version here when they were retired for the newer models in Europe. And they might not have enough AR-type lower molds around since the ARX was ordered by both Egypt and Kazakhstan (might be another 'stan) in quantity, along with the existing 5.56 caliber contracts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By homeyclaus:

Beretta Defense probably sent their old molds to the US for the domestic version here when they were retired for the newer models in Europe. And they might not have enough AR-type lower molds around since the ARX was ordered by both Egypt and Kazakhstan (might be another 'stan) in quantity, along with the existing 5.56 caliber contracts.
View Quote

One thing that gets ignored in these discussions in the past is that the machine guns can't be used here. So the upper and lower are most likely not the same as the ARX160, so it doesn't matter what happened to molds for them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#23]
For the 300 Blackout the only thing they would have to change is the barrel blank. It makes the most sense to just come out with this conversion.
View Quote

They spent a lot of money on the stuff to make the ARX barrels here, it seems almost silly not to do a 300blk. But hell, what do I know, they can just keep cranking out slight variations of the 92 until the end of time. (Of course, I have 2 of them, but don't like the vertec frame they're heading towards, so I'm biased.)
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#24]

They spent a lot of money on the stuff to make the ARX barrels here, it seems almost silly not to do a 300blk. But hell, what do I know, they can just keep cranking out slight variations of the 92 until the end of time. (Of course, I have 2 of them, but don't like the vertec frame they're heading towards, so I'm biased.)
View All Quotes

Would love to have a 10" .300 barrel for my SBRd ARX.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 1:40:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#25]

One thing that gets ignored in these discussions in the past is that the machine guns can't be used here. So the upper and lower are most likely not the same as the ARX160, so it doesn't matter what happened to molds for them.
View Quote

The carrier may also be different in some way to enable FA, but the main difference is going to be in the trigger pack, which housed in the ARX lower.  A commercial lower variant needs to be designed to be incompatible with that FA pack, as well as being unmodifiable to FA in itself, to be legally marketed in the states.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 5:41:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Uys:
I am am still wishing in one hand for the 7.63x39 kit, I feel like I know what I am doing in the other hand.
View Quote

Would love a x39 converion kit, but not going to hold my breath.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 10:56:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: homeyclaus] [#27]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

The carrier may also be different in some way to enable FA, but the main difference is going to be in the trigger pack, which housed in the ARX lower.  A commercial lower variant needs to be designed to be incompatible with that FA pack, as well as being unmodifiable to FA in itself, to be legally marketed in the states.
View Quote

"incompatible with the trigger assembly" doesn't mean the lower needs to be all that different. A change in the bolt or bolt carrier to prevent use of the FA sear is enough to comply with the law - look at the AR-15; we use M16 bolt carriers because the lower won't hold the sear that fits it, but the reverse is also permissible.

And it's not something you must demonstrate if you're the size of Beretta - a simple declaration is enough.

ETA: not worth the argument. But it might speak to the 7.62x39 kit not being released as well, since one can't simply take that and ship it to the states without doing the work to make FA difficult.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:42:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#28]

"incompatible with the trigger assembly" doesn't mean the lower needs to be all that different. A change in the bolt or bolt carrier to prevent use of the FA sear is enough to comply with the law - look at the AR-15; we use M16 bolt carriers because the lower won't hold the sear that fits it, but the reverse is also permissible.

And it's not something you must demonstrate if you're the size of Beretta - a simple declaration is enough.

ETA: not worth the argument. But it might speak to the 7.62x39 kit not being released as well, since one can't simply take that and ship it to the states without doing the work to make FA difficult.
View All Quotes

I doubt there'd be any more reworking of the 7.62 lower than there would have been with the original select fire ARX-160 5.56 lower when the semi-auto version was designed. Without a side-by-side comparison who's to say the FA and SA lower molds are any different, other than an extra pin or so? Many times its more a matter of what parts are in the lower than the lower itself.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#29]

I doubt there'd be any more reworking of the 7.62 lower than there would have been with the original select fire ARX-160 5.56 lower when the semi-auto version was designed. Without a side-by-side comparison who's to say the FA and SA lower molds are any different, other than an extra pin or so? Many times its more a matter of what parts are in the lower than the lower itself.
View Quote

Going by HK lowers, it's not enough to make the trigger group different, you need to make sure the parts won't fit at all.

All that said, there might already BE a semi-auto lower that is interchangeable with the current model, assuming Beretta sells the ARX100 in other countries. It'd just be a matter of what parts can be imported or made here... but mostly it's a matter of whether Beretta thinks the investment is worth the reward, and I don't think they do.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm hoping the forced world wide economic slump will motivate the company to release the 200 to us.  I would throw down BIGLY if they did.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm hoping the forced world wide economic slump will motivate the company to release the 200 to us.  I would throw down BIGLY if they did.
View Quote

Seems like the last thing to do would be to release a niche product that few would buy in a time of reduced disposable income.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By BravoSector1:
I'm glad I sold mine and the barrel assembly. Added another SCAR to the stable.
View Quote

I'd rather have an ARX than a SCAR. #FightMe

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:08:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LOS] [#33]
Guys, I'm reaching out for a little help. I'm looking for a couple of volunteers for a little quality time at the range with their ARX to test a prototype EPC (ejection port cover-left-side mount) that I've been working on.  Preferably right hand shooters that has a Suppressor and both SBR and OEM barrels.  Make of suppresser(s) not an issue. I had a forum member GTG but I suddenly lost comms. I sincerely hope he's doing well.

I understand ranges may not be open because of the china flu so this little project can wait as long as it takes, and it's safe to conduct.

Please send me an IM/email if you're interested and we'll take it from there.  Thank You.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#34]
PM'ed. I have multiple ARXs available including 1 (soon to be 2) SBRs, one of which is suppressed, so I can test all varieties and combos.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:13:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LOS] [#35]
PM'ed. I have multiple ARXs available including 1 (soon to be 2) SBRs, one of which is suppressed, so I can test all varieties and combos.
View Quote

Perfect. Thank you. I'll send you an IM later this evening with logistics.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By LOS:

Perfect. Thank you. I'll send you an IM later this evening with logistics.
View Quote

email sent
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#37]
I would definitely pay for a 300 barrel.   One of the nice things about an ARX is how easy it goes from SBR back to a normal rifle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By p230:
I would definitely pay for a 300 barrel.   One of the nice things about an ARX is how easy it goes from SBR back to a normal rifle.
View Quote

In fairness, an AR converts in less time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Forrest

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

I disagree. In the ARX, you clear the rifle leaving the charging handle back, push down on the tabs, and pull the barrel out. To insert the new barrel you just insert the barrel and snap it in.

In the AR, you have to push out two seperate push pins, potentially swap the charging handle, and then reinsert and secure with both pins.

Not a huge difference but pretty sure the barrel on the ARX can be changed a few seconds faster.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:59:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#41]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By p230:

Slapping an entirely different upper on a lower isn't converting barrel/caliber.  It's practically grabbing another rifle.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:33:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#42]

I disagree. In the ARX, you clear the rifle leaving the charging handle back, push down on the tabs, and pull the barrel out. To insert the new barrel you just insert the barrel and snap it in.

In the AR, you have to push out two seperate push pins, potentially swap the charging handle, and then reinsert and secure with both pins.

Not a huge difference but pretty sure the barrel on the ARX can be changed a few seconds faster.
View Quote

Not to put too fine a point on it, but since people want to dogpile a small detail, your assumption hinges on someone having to change the AR charging handle, a $15 part that most people have multiples of.

AR:
Clear rifle.
Push two pins (I don't know about you but I push both at the same time).
Pull upper off.
Put upper on.
Push two pins.

ARX:
Clear rifle.
Pull back and lock bolt.*
Pull down on spring loaded tabs.
Pull barrel.
Insert new barrel.
Drop bolt.

*per info in this very thread, it is recommended to lock the bolt in the maintenance position to prevent inadvertent dropping of the bolt due to the jarring of seating the barrel.

And, yeah, it's essentially like having another gun.

You guys are a little too tightly wound. Relax. I love my ARXs (have two) but the AR is a superior design.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Not to put too fine a point on it, but since people want to dogpile a small detail, your assumption hinges on someone having to change the AR charging handle, a $15 part that most people have multiples of.

AR:
Clear rifle.
Pull upper off.
Put upper on.
Push two pins.

ARX:
Clear rifle.
Pull barrel.
Insert new barrel.
Drop bolt.

*per info in this very thread, it is recommended to lock the bolt in the maintenance position to prevent inadvertent dropping of the bolt due to the jarring of seating the barrel.

You guys are a little too tightly wound. Relax. I love my ARXs (have two) but the AR is a superior design.
View Quote

I pretty much agree with your assessment, and I also prefer to keep bolts and barrels matched, so I would have to change the bolt too if I were changing out the barrel on the ARX.

Also, with changing out an AR upper you would likely already have an optic already mounted and zeroed, with the ARX you'd have to re-zero your optic.

Most of the utility I see with the quick change barrel on the ARX is just ease of cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:01:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#44]
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:

Also, with changing out an AR upper you would likely already have an optic already mounted and zeroed, with the ARX you'd have to re-zero your optic.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:

Didn't even think about that, but you're 100% correct.

Most of the utility I see with the quick change barrel on the ARX is just ease of cleaning.

Me too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:49:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: vellnueve] [#45]

AR:
Clear rifle.
Pull upper off.
Put upper on.
Push two pins.

ARX:
Clear rifle.
Pull barrel.
Insert new barrel.
Drop bolt.

View Quote

You can argue superior all day, that's subjective based on what you're looking for in a rifle. And for the record, I do shoot my ARs far more. But I definitely get the barrel out of my ARX faster than I do swapping uppers. It's simply that easy.

And the 6-7 ARs I shoot the most have BCM or other high-end handles in them so I usually do switch them out. I don't mind the stock one but I prefer charging on the left hand side only like most so having that extended grip area on the BCM handles is a nice convenience.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 4:24:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BravoSector1] [#46]
Originally Posted By Frost7:

I'd rather have an ARX than a SCAR. #FightMe

View Quote

#NoSCARThePoors

Just busting you Beretta boy balls...enjoy the ARX100!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:00:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:

I pretty much agree with your assessment, and I also prefer to keep bolts and barrels matched, so I would have to change the bolt too if I were changing out the barrel on the ARX.

Also, with changing out an AR upper you would likely already have an optic already mounted and zeroed, with the ARX you'd have to re-zero your optic.

Most of the utility I see with the quick change barrel on the ARX is just ease of cleaning.
View Quote

Being that another upper is essentially another rifle altogether, that's rather irrelevant.  We're almost hitting apples-to-oranges territory in the comparison.
What's the advantage of fiddling with trading uppers vs just grabbing another sighted in rifle?  Your ~80% there just with the upper anyway.

The point of barrel modularity is flexibility.  If you sight the ARX with both barrels using like ammo, then you should know the relative elevation settings for each setup & be able to dial In accordingly whenever switching between barrels without having to test shoot (This isn't hard).  A second barrel is also less cumbersome to carry along than an entire AR uppper.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

Being that another upper is essentially another rifle altogether, that's rather irrelevant.  We're almost hitting apples-to-oranges territory in the comparison. 
What's the advantage of fiddling with trading uppers vs just grabbing another sighted in rifle?  Your ~80% there just with the upper anyway.

The point of barrel modularity is flexibility.  If you sight the ARX with both barrels using like ammo, then you should know the relative elevation settings for each setup & be able to dial In accordingly whenever switching between barrels without having to test shoot (This isn't hard).  A second barrel is also less cumbersome to carry along than an entire AR uppper.
View Quote

I can't disagree with that either, I never actually switch between uppers on just one lower, everything is it's own rifle.

With the ARX, if I was changing between two different barrels constantly I would actually keep two different optics mounted on QD mounts sighted in to their specific barrel. so when I change the barrel i'd be changing the optic instead of messing with the elevation and windage adjustments every time... But I understand that that isn't exactly the affordable route depending on your optics choices.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By glklvr:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but since people want to dogpile a small detail, your assumption hinges on someone having to change the AR charging handle, a $15 part that most people have multiples of.

AR:
Clear rifle.
Push two pins (I don't know about you but I push both at the same time).
Pull upper off.
Put upper on.
Push two pins.

ARX:
Clear rifle.
Pull back and lock bolt.*
Pull down on spring loaded tabs.
Pull barrel.
Insert new barrel.
Drop bolt.

*per info in this very thread, it is recommended to lock the bolt in the maintenance position to prevent inadvertent dropping of the bolt due to the jarring of seating the barrel.

And, yeah, it's essentially like having another gun.

You guys are a little too tightly wound. Relax. I love my ARXs (have two) but the AR is a superior design.
View Quote

What is superior is quote objective...just like optics...really any thing in this world...
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

Being that another upper is essentially another rifle altogether, that's rather irrelevant.  We're almost hitting apples-to-oranges territory in the comparison. 
What's the advantage of fiddling with trading uppers vs just grabbing another sighted in rifle?  Your ~80% there just with the upper anyway.

The point of barrel modularity is flexibility.  If you sight the ARX with both barrels using like ammo, then you should know the relative elevation settings for each setup & be able to dial In accordingly whenever switching between barrels without having to test shoot (This isn't hard).  A second barrel is also less cumbersome to carry along than an entire AR uppper.
View Quote

Well, yes, but...

For an AR, you slap on a new upper with the optic/sights already sighted in...

For the ARX100, well, not...

'Remembering' earlier settings will help (somewhat), but we're not talking the same thing...

Forrest

Page / 124
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top