Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 5:26:25 AM EDT
[#1]
My grandfather use to hunt deer in the 40-50's with is .22 hornet...

I'd say just keep a full mag of any good of these loads (60gr Nosler or 64gr PP). They also work great as barrier round....
7.62 is also a good option, depends on how you are equip right now.

just my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#2]
If SHTF is a factor, the edge will always go to the tools designed with that in mind. I would take a bone stock AR or AK over a levergun every day and twice on sunday.

Link Posted: 12/24/2010 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If SHTF is a factor, the edge will always go to the tools designed with that in mind. I would take a bone stock AR or AK over a levergun every day and twice on sunday.

Oh really? For $500 you MIGHT get an Oly plinker. Your telling us that your would take a $500 Olympic Arms plinker against a $500 top of the line lever gun? LOL, good luck with that. And FYI, lever guns have been kicking ass in SHTF gunfights LONG before the M16 was even a concept. Just ask General George Custer about the effectiveness of Enemy Winchester and Henry Lever Actions in a gunfight.

There is no "Edge" to a rifle that was built as cheaply as possible with every corner cut to get its price point DOWN to $500, even if it is a copy of the current Issue US Infantry rifle. It is a copy in looks ONLY.

Link Posted: 12/24/2010 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't know what your version of SHTF is, but mine does NOT include electricity to keep meat edible. So for me, I will have to make sure that what I kill I can eat that day. Other, bigger predators will smell the left over remains of a deer and will invite themselves over for dinner. I see far more rabbits, squirrels, snakes, and other small game animals than I do deer and antelope. 30-30 wouldn't leave anything left of the small game. If a deer presents it' self, a 223 will take it down, just can't take a 500 yard shot on it. If you can carry both, then go for it, but if I have to pick between the 2 I'm going with the 223. Plus, you can carry twice as much 223 than the 30-30. (based on the weight of the cartridge.)

A problem even bigger than food storage would loom large in a SHTF event widespread enough that you would find yourself hunting and foraging for food.  Game populations will drop so fast finding anything on four legs, or with wings, to shoot will get hard fast.   Game populations took 30 years to recover in Iowa after prosperity returned  following WW2.  My grandfather was old enough to grow up hunting  out of necessity and the mindset people from his generation possessed is amazing to consider.  

223 will blow to shit any small game you tag with it.   In the midwest I would have no problem hunting deer(small game, foraging)  with only a .22 considering head shots out to 50 yards are easy and I can't remember the last time I needed to take a 50 yard shot.  Out in open territory its a whole different game.  

I'm not taking issue with your post.  I just wanted to share my opinion that if we "need" to hunt for more than a few weeks our caliber choice will be the last of our worries.  I vote for either caliber.
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]
misfire.
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh really? For $500 you MIGHT get an Oly plinker. Your telling us that your would take a $500 Olympic Arms plinker against a $500 top of the line lever gun? LOL, good luck with that. And FYI, lever guns have been kicking ass in SHTF gunfights LONG before the M16 was even a concept. Just ask General George Custer about the effectiveness of Enemy Winchester and Henry Lever Actions in a gunfight.

There is no "Edge" to a rifle that was built as cheaply as possible with every corner cut to get its price point DOWN to $500, even if it is a copy of the current Issue US Infantry rifle. It is a copy in looks ONLY.

Yes, really. I didn't state price or brand. I am also well aware of the differences between shitty civilian clones and the 'real' thing.

FYI, we have better options available to us now than folks during Custer's time.

Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Umm, did you even read the thread? The price is set at $500 per the conditions of this scenario. So, I stand by what I first said. Crappy AR, or top of the line lever gun. Per the conditions layed out in the first post, those are your choices. Good luck with your $500 shit AR.
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Umm, did you even read the thread? The price is set at $500 per the conditions of this scenario. So, I stand by what I first said. Crappy AR, or top of the line lever gun. Per the conditions layed out in the first post, those are your choices. Good luck with your $500 shit AR.

Perhaps I should elaborate...I would pinch a few pennies and buy something better suited for defense. I don't hate leverguns, but I would rather hump a WASR [well within the $500 guideline] than a levergun, if I had a choice. When I hear 'SHTF', I think of roving bands of armed fuckheads. Things like suppressive fire, the ability to reload quickly, and also durability and ease of maintenance are a plus.

Relax bud, I don't have any $500 AR's.

Link Posted: 12/25/2010 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd rather have the AR in a defensive situation and the 30-30 in a hunting situation.

AR15 has better ergonomics, faster rate of fire, more accurate (Or easier to be accurate) and faster reload.

30-30 has better terminal ballistics for deer, but is usually a lever action so slower to fire and slower to reload. I wouldnt necessarily feel undergunned with a 30-30 depending on who I was defending against though. Just some hoodrats looking for an easy mark I'd feel fine. But a determined well armed foe? I'd be wishing for my AR right quick I think. An SKS does a decent job of bridging some of the shortcoming between the 30-30 and the AR though. I loved my SKS, I wouldnt feel undergunned with it in most situations.

My thoughts.

this.

Link Posted: 12/25/2010 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#10]
If SHTF really does come down then having your AR as your primary will work the best because what do you think the military and police use.  That is how you will keep a supply of ammo while on the move.
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#11]
You seriously think the Police and Military are going to give you ammo for your weapon? Let me guess, you will just take it off the dead. That is the most dumbass thing I have heard yet.
Some of you have no damn clue, and think SHTF is like fuckin mad max or some shit. Yall enjoy your make believe fantasies. Because honestly, thats all your talking about now. Some walter mitty fantasy that will NEVER play out the way some of you think it will.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 3:35:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You seriously think the Police and Military are going to give you ammo for your weapon? Let me guess, you will just take it off the dead. That is the most dumbass thing I have heard yet.
Some of you have no damn clue, and think SHTF is like fuckin mad max or some shit. Yall enjoy your make believe fantasies. Because honestly, thats all your talking about now. Some walter mitty fantasy that will NEVER play out the way some of you think it will.

U mad?
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 3:59:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I have 4 lever guns & enjoy them; if society has fallen apart - I'll go with the AR.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I would take a $500 Oly "plinker" I had ran 1,000 rounds through to verify its integrity rather than some high end $500 level gun that I ran 10 rounds through in the past 3 years deer hunting.

Also, ask Mr. Hitler how well his beloved Mauser faired against the mighty Garand. Lever guns are DEAD in the combat world.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Love these threads.  

As a guitarist, they remind me of those "Jimi vs. Eddie" arguments.
But more fun.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top