Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/18/2010 4:44:02 PM EDT
So, when doing my yearly shopping for insurance, I checked the NRA, my current company, one other company, and USAA. None would cover ammunition in quantity. How have you ammo whores got your ammo insured?

Link Posted: 8/18/2010 4:51:40 PM EDT
ammo insures itself

Just don't have a fire
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 7:33:43 PM EDT
What do you want to insure it against?
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 9:11:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cougar69:

Theft?
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 9:51:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Molive:
Originally Posted By cougar69:

Theft?

If ya don't tell people you got it stacked and racked they will not come steal it.Only way you could probably get it insured is to open an ammo store

Link Posted: 8/18/2010 9:56:16 PM EDT
if there is a fire, shoot it first
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 10:02:38 PM EDT
Fire, theft, natural disasters, whatever...

I was actually told by the NRA rep as you'd have to have a store to get ammo insured.

Theft could happen regardless of a person's security. So can fires, tornadoes and many other things outside of our control. That's what insurance is for.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 10:21:07 PM EDT
How much ammo do you have? Even if you found an insurance policy, your delectable would likely be in the $1000 range.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 10:38:06 PM EDT
some of us have well north of that
Originally Posted By NVGdude:
How much ammo do you have? Even if you found an insurance policy, your delectable would likely be in the $1000 range.

Link Posted: 8/18/2010 10:39:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rocksarge:

Yep
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 5:15:13 AM EDT
What did USAA tell you? Cause I've got them, and as of the last time I spoke with them, I was covered.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 5:42:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2010 5:43:00 AM EDT by KimberTLE45]

$1000 is nothing compared to what some people here have in ammo. I would say that I have 6-7x that and my ammo fort is nothing special.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:15:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2010 7:16:00 AM EDT by buckfever34]
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 12:16:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mach:

Yep

Yep Yep
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 12:48:22 PM EDT
how would you prove that you still hd it and had not just shot it all...?
That's just begging for a scam.
as a college kid, my ammo stash is probably between $1500-2000.
A $1k deductible wouldn't be worth it for me.
State Farm covers all my guns FWIW
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 2:44:42 PM EDT
Vault––too expensive to add.

Amount to insure...well north of 1K's worth.

Fireproof safe...several would be too small.

USAA, if I remember correctly, simply would not insure it, but I will check with them again.

AND...any item can be scammed, so that does not justiify ammo being excluded simply because it is a consumable––at least in my eyes.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 4:59:26 PM EDT
ammo insures itself

Just don't have a fire

This. And if you have a legit fire.
You don't go out and replace the BS luxury items not needed in your home.
And instead purchase 3x the Ammo you had

I Insure my GO-TO ammo (X amount of Quality-Rounds in X amount of Cans) in Fire-resistant Safes.
Better then nothing. If that doesn't work refer to above statement
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:23:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ChickenDaddy:

USAA, if I remember correctly, simply would not insure it, but I will check with them again.

AND...any item can be scammed, so that does not justiify ammo being excluded simply because it is a consumable––at least in my eyes.

That's interesting. They said as long as I had coverage for everything I owned, and could show what replacement cost would be for high value items(along with proof of ownership) they would cover it. I asked for my NFA items, and being registered to me by a .gov agency should be good enough for proof of ownership, and replacement cost is easy enough to figure out. Ammo might be harder to prove I own, but I take photos of the pallets as they are delivered, and I keep the sales invoices in a fire proof safe, should cover that.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 10:56:42 PM EDT

Yeah, I know. Some of us have north of that just in PRIMERS.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:26:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

You want to be sure State Farm is clear on that.

They told me I would need a special rider for firearms and based on my current homowners claim, I'd be concerned about if I was really covered or not. Get it in writing.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:38:37 AM EDT
State Farm usually covers only 2500.00 worth of guns without a dedicated supplemental policy. You had better lay paws on your policy and check that shit out or you might get "burned"...

I wish I could go back to the time where a 1000.00 deductible for my all my ammo might seem silly. No wait, I don't... I easily have north of 1k in just Mk262Mod1 alone...
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 7:02:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By tep0583:

You want to be sure State Farm is clear on that.

They told me I would need a special rider for firearms and based on my current homowners claim, I'd be concerned about if I was really covered or not. Get it in writing.

i do have an additional rider on top ofmy renters policy. $5000 for guns and not more than $2500 on one gun.
my last gun pruchase put me over the $5k mark so we switched everything over to the another category –– seperate items policy or something. My fiance's engagement ring is in the same category. This policy also doesn't have a deductible
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:00:59 AM EDT
not this shit again, ammo is not a gun and guns are not ammo and NO homeowners policy EXCLUDES ammo therefore its covered . subject to your deductable. and if i was going to steel somthing from a house it would be light expensive stuff just saying
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 9:01:53 AM EDT
go with an A rated company thats not the major ones (gieco, allstate, state farm) The small (still big) companies do not tell the difference in goods. such as ammo or firearms, they are all covered.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 1:12:16 AM EDT
some thieves like ammo b/c it can be sold more easily w/o being traced back the the theft since ther are no SNs.

If there is a fire the ammo might still be damaged even if it is in a fire resistant safe.

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:19:05 AM EDT

Yep

Here here.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 11:26:28 AM EDT
Ammo and firearms are covered on my renters insurance. I was sure to check on that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 7:13:34 PM EDT
What company are you using?
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 9:25:07 AM EDT
I use American Family Insurance.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 5:14:03 AM EDT
6"PVC pipe is your insurance....and cheap.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:44:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By KimberTLE45:

$1000 is nothing compared to what some people here have in ammo. I would say that I have 6-7x that and my ammo fort is nothing special.

$1000 deductible will barely cover my investment in .22.
I have easily 30 times that in my various calibers...45, 5.56, .40, 9mm..7.62x30, 7.62 NATO.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 9:12:48 AM EDT

$179 at the Home Depot. Good insurance right there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:34:07 AM EDT
Construction container...nice idea...not thief or fire/floodproof, but something. And cheap.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:57:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By damcv62:

That's interesting. They said as long as I had coverage for everything I owned, and could show what replacement cost would be for high value items(along with proof of ownership) they would cover it. I asked for my NFA items, and being registered to me by a .gov agency should be good enough for proof of ownership, and replacement cost is easy enough to figure out. Ammo might be harder to prove I own, but I take photos of the pallets as they are delivered, and I keep the sales invoices in a fire proof safe, should cover that.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:53:07 AM EDT

I've talked to NRA insurance about this several times. They are interested enough to call me every year when I write it on the survey. I think it could be done, but I get why they don't want to.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:45:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Raoc:
Originally Posted By damcv62:

They didn't call me a whore for nothing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:56:48 AM EDT

LOL. Thats only 33 boxes of 7 mag.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:43:46 PM EDT

How did you get state farm to insure all of your guns. All I can get is 5,000 max.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:50:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2010 5:50:48 PM EDT by bradpierson26]
How did you get state farm to insure all of your guns. All I can get is 5,000 max.
Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

After the amount surpassed $5k, my agent moved it over to a personal articles policy. I think computers fall under it too. My fiance's ring is covered under that same policy.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:33:57 PM EDT
I think I said it before, but I'll say it again.

If you go with a A rated insurance that doesn't spend all their money on commericals, these companies will insure your guns and ammo as personal property. Only time I see clauses of firearms is renter's insurance and policies from state farm, etc.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:41:27 PM EDT
Check your home owners policy for special limits on certain causes of loss. You may be surprised to find a $2000 limit on firearms for things like theft.

I'll have access to several different policies in the morning. I'll see if ammo is covered under certain endorsements you can by. I know some include "all accessories," including mags and bipods. Ammo may be included.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:58:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KimberTLE45:

Exactly...

Let's see, two MK19 cans filled with roughly 319 rounds of 50BMG per can(it's a perfect fit and beautiful sight), that aught to cover any 1k deductible right there.

We won't get into the rest of the stash.
Top Top