Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 3:14:57 PM EDT
Do you think I could get an M1911 .45 ACP  for under 400$ at a Gun Show or anywhere for that matter? Would that be a good deal or just a cheap gun new or used?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought my Kimber Classic Stainless used for $450.
Helps if you PT at a gun shop.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Im thinking its gonna cost me at least 500 to get a good used one
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#3]
You can buy a NIB Springfield Armory for sometimes less than $450. A few have bragged at getting them for close to $400 even, who knows if it's true or not?

I've learned the hard way (is there any other way?) that one gets what one pays for in guns.

Personally, I would avoid the Charles Daly, Auto Ordnance, Llama & Essex brands. Actually, Essex only makes frames, someone will usually slap a cheap slide on it & go sell it.

If you do go the used route, make damn sure you have someone who knows WTF they're doing check the gun out very damn carefully!

My .o2
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You can buy a NIB Springfield Armory for sometimes less than $450. A few have bragged at getting them for close to $400 even, who knows if it's true or not?

I've learned the hard way (is there any other way?) that one gets what one pays for in guns.

Personally, I would avoid the Charles Daly, Auto Ordnance, Llama & Essex brands. Actually, Essex only makes frames, someone will usually slap a cheap slide on it & go sell it.

If you do go the used route, make damn sure you have someone who knows WTF they're doing check the gun out very damn carefully!

My .o2

Auto Ordnance is now owned by KAHR Arms. QC has gone up with them. My BIL got one back in December brand new. I did not find anything wrong with it. In Fact, I wanted to buy it. It is a no frills gun. I can't remember what he paid for it however.

ETA- spelling.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:02:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a Springfield GI for $420 total at a gun show in late 2004. I don't know what they cost now.

GL
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#6]
About 6months ago,I bought a very slightly used SA Mil-spec for $375 otd, as money permits, improvements will be made to it and eventually will be used as my backup CCW. I field stripped the gun on the shop's counter before buying, I found nothing wrong with it, in fact what I did find, was that it showed very little use. I would also reccommend field stripping in the shop before purchase, look it over carefully. As it is now, it's a good shooter, very reliable (even with HP's) it does shoot a little low,(about 2") but the sights will be replaced anyway, so that problem will be adressed then. But, yes, deals on 1911's can be found for around $400, I've seen new SA mil-spec's and their WWII models selling at gunshows for under $450, So, Keep your eyes open, there are deals out there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Be patient and look for deals.  Over on the highroad.org a gun store out of GA was selling 9 Sprinfield Armory 1911s for $100 under their costs.  The Mil-Spec was priced at $386.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I bought a Springfield GI for $420 total at a gun show in late 2004. I don't know what they cost now.

GL

They are more now.   They used to retail around here for about 400, now they are 450 or more.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#9]
www.sarcoinc.com has Rock Island 1911's for $279 NIB.  Don't know the quality of RI's, but if you are looking for a beater, you can't beat the price
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GL

They are more now.   They used to retail around here for about 400, now they are 450 or more.

I got one for $350 new in box back in 2003...
I think it was 2003...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My .o2

Auto Ordnance is now owned by KAHR Arms. QC has gone up with them. My BIL got one back in December brand new. I did not find anything wrong with it. In Fact, I wanted to buy it. It is a no frills gun. I can't remember what he paid for it however.

ETA- spelling.

Be advised that there are still a lot of Auto-Ordnance guns rolling around which come with boxes chock full of Kahr Arms paperwork but the guns (or parts) were made under the old Auto-Ordnance company and just assemebled or shipped under Kahr.  

While some folks have had good results from them, they are a crap shoot and the one I owned (that came with Kahr paperwork) would never fire a complete magazine without a stoppage fo some nature.  

You're much better off with a Springfield in the $400 price range than something which may or may not work.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked up a slighty used GL mil-spec for my brother last year for a whopping $375 OTD.  This thing probably had one mag through it.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
www.sarcoinc.com has Rock Island 1911's for $279 NIB.  Don't know the quality of RI's, but if you are looking for a beater, you can't beat the price

Never owned nor shot a Rock Island, but I picked up a Norinco at the last gun show for $300 and it is a solid, well-built gun. Before I bought this gun I would not have thought the Chinese were capable of making a handgun of such quality for such a small price. I will definitely pick up another Norinco when the oppurtunity presents itself.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

GL

Saw one for sale at a gunshow two weeks ago for $399, including the SA Duracote-like finish.

Helluva deal.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top