Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/15/2006 8:33:41 AM EDT
Hi,

I am considering building a .308 sporter on a Mauser action. I am thinking I could get an Adams and Bennet barrel and aftermarket stock. I have a gunsmith friend with whom I trade services, and would probably have him cut the barrel cut back to 20", and install and headspace the barrel .

Most of the aftermarket stocks and barrels are for a 98. Would these fit the Yugo 24/47? Or an 03/38? I have a 01 FFL and could get either of these pretty cheap.

Is there another Mauser rifle (readily available for a reasonable price) that makes a good starter?

Any other advice appreciated. I have no experience in this area, though I have disassembeld/reassembled a Mauser (right down to the small parts).

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:14:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:12:13 AM EDT
I used an Isreali Mauser. It was a .308 to start with. I haven't seen any for sale in a while. I also made one from the 98 Turkish guns. Mine was a small ring version an I had the threads turned down on the barrel to make it work. Both shoot well and it was fun to build them. I used the Isreali reciever to pattern the Turkish reciver for better feeding. There is a slight difference. I have managed some 1 MOA's with milsurp but 2-3 are more common. Reloads seem to keep things closer to the 1MOA.

Build one and you will want to do another.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:29:35 AM EDT
the Yugo 24/47 or the Yugo m48 would be a good choice. they are slightly shorter than the standard M98, but still use the same barrel threads so the A&B barrel could still be used. Many of the turks are large ring m98 patter, but use the smalle ring thread. Sarco has Yugo m48 stripped actions for $69.95 IIRC. another arguement for the Yugo m48 is that most were used very little and are in far better shape than most m98s available.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:10:53 AM EDT
I bought three Russion capture K98's from CIA. I decided I would be better off going wih the original M98 for best/easiest selection and fit of aftermarket parts.

I will sell the best two, and strip the worst for the receiver, sell off remaining parts.

I have a friend gunsmith who advised me to fill the ammo well from the rear, not from the front.

I got an early Bell & Carlson lightweight stock, and I'll be picking up a Bold trigger. Friend gunsmith agreed to mount the A&B barrel, headspace and drill/tap for scope mount.

I also got the kit to fix the bolt handle for scope use, I will do that myself.

Should be a fun project, maybe I'll have it done by this summer.

Happy shooting.

C_M
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:24:50 AM EDT
Top Top