Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 9:18:32 AM EDT
Hey guys... I can get a CMP surplus rack-grade Garand for about $350 or a field-grade for $395. Well, I'd also have to join an organization associated with CMP... Any cheap, easy, and quick club to join that provides instant member verification?

I was thinking of joining the Florida Sport Shooting Association ($20) http://www.flssa.org/Membership.htm which can be applied for online.  If there's any better options, let me know.

What do you guys think of these guns? I know they are:

1) Semi-automatic
2) 8 rounds, clip fed
3) .30-06
4) Supposedly very reliable
5) Greatest battle rifle of WW2

How do you think they compare to an SKS for a SHTF rifle? How do these surplus rifles function? Any problems? Anything need adjustment or repair? Any problems with ordering through the CMP in general? How about .30-06 surplus ammo pricing and availability? Lastly, how are these guns in terms of reliability and maintainence?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#1]
George Patton dubbed the Garand "The greatest battle implement ever devised." That alone should tell you how it's gonna function and shoot. Buy with confidence from the CMP. They won't sell you a bad one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#3]
For a SHTF situation I would reccomend you get a H&K G3 along with 100, 20 round magazines.  I picked up 100 factory magazines for $100 from Tapco.
I don't think you can beat this combination.  Load up all 100 magazines(2000 rounds), drop the magazines on the ground and load a new one and keep moving.

I think the appeal in the M1 is more nostaliga than anything else.  Yes it was a great WWII rifle, today I think you can do alot better.  Still not a bad rifle to own for casual plinking, just not the best SHTF rifle IMHO.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

How do you think they compare to an SKS for a SHTF rifle? Better.  More accurate and powerful but less rounds.

How do these surplus rifles function? Any problems? As they are supposed to.  No problems.

Anything need adjustment or repair? It will shoot when you get it and shoot accurately.  The CMP will send you additional information on refinishing and getting new wood if you chose to upgrade for 'looks'.

Any problems with ordering through the CMP in general?  None whatsoever.  In fact, you'll get a 'nice-certificate-of-authenticity-worthy-of-framing" along with your Garand with your name and Garand S/N... at least I did.

How about .30-06 surplus ammo pricing and availability? No problems but watch out for corrosive stuff.

Lastly, how are these guns in terms of reliability and (maintenance)?   Very reliable.  Normal maintenance...  easier to clean than an AR, IMO.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#5]
My sub MOA m1 is obsolete? I own everything within 600 meters. I can reload from the prone. The new made 16" bayonet from IMA wont gut a bad guy?

Best dang gun for the money is the CMP Garand.

If 8 30-06 don't get r done, RUN!!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#6]
HK G3=$1800 (I don't really know what they are going for)
100 mags $100
How the hell would you carry 100 loaded magazines considering 50 empty steel HK mags weigh 31 lbs.

If you can get the CMP M1 go for it.  They are very reliable.  IMO they are one of the best balanced rifles out there.  They are heavier than some guns but their balance really makes up for it I think.  All around they are just a neat rifle to shoot and own.  I would highly recommend getting a garand.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#7]
CMP all the way.  A friend and I both have service grade Springfields.  Both are awesome.  As far as corrosive ammo, if you know that is what you are shooting and clean accordingly you will have no problems.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#8]
You can also join hte Garand Collectors Association for $25. They are able to provide your membership info to the CMP on-line.

The Rack Grade rifles are probably shootable, and they are fairly beat up. You receive the rifle in Cosmoline, so you'll be cleaning it for a while. I also understand the stock is Cosmo'd, too.

I will be buying at least one Rack Grade rifle and having it worked on by Dean's Gun Restorations. Having them do a bunch of work on a higher grade CMP Garand is probably wasted money for the higher grade.

Do not have a Correct Grade or Collector Grade reworked. Leave them as-is. They are worth more as collector guns that way. As soon as you have a collectable Garand reworked it loses much, if not most, of its value.

Unless it is a collector, CMP Garands have all been reworked at least once. This means they are a complete mix of actions, bolts, trigger groups, barrels, and stocks. A Sprinfield Armory, WW-II era action might have a bolt from the late 50's, a Winchester trigger group, and some aftermarket stock. They are probably refinished, at least once, and likely done at the country we loaned them to. Most Garands currently available from the DCM are returns from Greece and Denmark.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#9]
What ammo do you guys usually get? How's the Korean ammo from Aim Surplus?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#10]
There are two types of Korean ammo for the Garand.  The type like Aim advertises is corrosive.  I've bought 2 cans of this stuff from Centerfiresystems and one from Fulton Armory.  Personally, I think it shoots great.  It is corrosive so you have to clean well and repeatedly.  There is another type of Korean ammo comes in boxes not on enbloc clips (PS) headstamp I believe.  There have been numerous problems with this ammo.  You might want to check battlerifles.com  there used to be a guy that kept up with headstamps and dates listing which one were causings problems and which ones were supposedly good.  

My main reason for buying the Korean ammo, was at the time it was a fast way to get a ton of enbloc clips and bandoliers.  This was a couple years ago.  You might want to check CMP's website estore...there is some Greek ammo that comes in cans on enbloc clips and bandoliers.  If you have clips already then you might want to look at a case of M2 ball from CMP.  

I bought a Garand thinking it was surplus so I would shoot the life out of it and save my M1A since the M1A cost twice as much.  However, the service grade Garand has since become my favorite rifle.  It is the only one I shoot anymore.  

I'm not sure about the Field grade.  Another guy I work with got a rack grade Danish about 5 years ago.  I have not seen how it shoots, but it looked in pretty good shape.  On CMP's website there is a section for tips on how to clean the wood.  Follow their directions and it will look good.  Also think about getting a leather sling from Turner Saddlery, they are top notch.  CMP wont be selling Garands forever, get one before they run out.  
Good Luck
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#11]
CMP Garands are great. I find the dinged up stocks a neat part of gun.

I only encountered one issue with a CMP item which involved a broken sight. They shipped a new one out for replaced within 3 days and they paid for it.

Just have the understanding that these are used items.

As far as SKSs, you can buy a new unissued one for about $200 or so.

Both are fun to shoot and actually affordable to obtain both. I know that is a typical AR-15 response but in this case it is true.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I think if you don't have a CMP Garand already, you're behind.

Get ammo from the CMP as well, you can't beat it for price or quality.  Both USGI and the Greek HXP are great.  HXP is loaded slightly hotter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top