Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 7:51:29 PM EDT
I have my grandfather's old model 62A and am looking to take it apart to clean it well. So far I've got the takedown screw twisted to separate the buttstock and front of the rifle. Where do I go from there?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#1]
That's about it.

After you've got the rifle separated, remove the upper tang screw from the top of the tang.
Bump the butt stock gently with the heel of your hand to loosen it, then slide it off the rear receiver.

Here's a good exploded view:
www.again.net/~steve/ipb-winchester-62a.html

As I recall, (it's been a long time since I was in one) the bolt can be slid to the rear and out of the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Using that diagram, how would I get the hammer out?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't, but to remove it, you'll first have to remove the mainspring behind it.
That's parts 19, 20, and 21.
On some similar rifles, there's a small hole in the guide, part 19.  Cock the hammer, insert a pin through the hole to lock the spring, then remove the assembly as one unit.

To remove the hammer, once the spring unit is out, push out pin #15.

If there's no hole in the guide for a disassembly pin, be careful....this type of mainspring can be a BEAR to get back together.
Often these older guns were assembled at the factory with positioning jigs that held things in place.
Without the fixture, reassembly can be very difficult.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice. I just stopped after separating the halves and cleaned what I could. Trying to preserve the old firearm for as long as possible. If nothing else, it made the action alot smoother.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top