Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2006 6:39:31 PM EDT
I finally got my CX4 Storm in 9mm a couple weeks ago, after having waited for a while for the shipping dealer to receive the copy of the FFL from my receiving dealer.   I found the gun on Gunbroker after shopping around.  The cheapest I could find a 9mm CX4 around here was $620, but that source didn't have any in stock.  The dealer I went through for the transfer had a source for the 8000 series CX4 in 9mm for $549, but the source ran out.  (could have gotten a .40, but I have no other weapons in .40, so that was out).  The only source that had one locally wanted $650.  

I scored mine from Gunbroker for $529 SHIPPED.  

The auction labelled the rifle as used, but likely has never been fired.  That last part was TRUE.  I got it home and broke it down, and it truly has never been fired.  The bore was spotless, and everything else was clean.  The only things missing were the original hard case and the sight tool, but as a bonus, it already has one of the front side rails attached.   Not a bad price for what I got.  Also had one 10 rd magazine, but seeing as the date on the upper receiver molding indicates she was manufactured in October of 03, it was during the ban, so it makes sense.

Last Sunday, I ordered three magazines from Midway USA - two MecGar 20rd mags, and one ProMag 20rd magazine.  I figured I'd give the ProMag a shot, as I've used some of their mags in the past (in a small .380 pistol) and they worked fine.  (I also recently picked up a 15rd ProMag for my CZ75, and took it to the range).

The rifle was fun to shoot, but I was in an awkward position shooting from a bench.  I usually don't like shooting from the bench... most rifles that feel fine shooting offhand tend to bother me from the bench.  Recoil was a bit snappier than I expected, but not bad at all.  The trigger was alright, but could stand to be lighter, for sure.  Operating everything on the rifle was easy and smooth.  The only problem I really had was reaquiring the front sight, but I was shooting at an indoor range, and it was kinda dark in there.

All of the magazines functioned flawlessly.  They all seated easily and positively, fed properly, didn't hang up ejection and locked the bolt open on the last round. They all ejected freely.  Loading wasn't difficult, and I didn't notice any considerable difference in spring strength.  

The ProMag magazine had a slide on plastic shroud, which looks nice when seated, however, the back of the shroud is cut straight, and the magwell at the back on the CX4 doesn't like that shape, so it takes a good tap to get it to seat.  I shot the magazine today without the shroud on it.  Got 60 rounds from the magazine with no problems whatsoever.  A little tweaking with a file, and the shroud will work fine.  

Also the 15rd ProMag for my CZ functioned fine for all ~100 rounds I put through it.  

Also also, the MecGar mags would take 21 rounds, and the ProMag would take 22.  I only loaded 20 for the break in/ inaugural shoot tonight.

Here's a little of what she did:

The above target was at 25 yards.  I started with about 30 rounds in the center.  Then 20 in the lower left, 20 in the lower right, then 20 in the top left then top right.  You can see, the bottom right was eating one big hole, then I got one or two fliers.  

After that bottom right group, my concentration was going out the window - hot brass was hitting the partition and bouncing back occasionally landing on my arm... I was wearing short sleeves, and that stuff was HOT!  Ouch!

Below is at 50 yards.  My concentration was pretty much gone due to the stupid hot brass!  The rifle is capable of better, but I'm not if I'm getting flustered!

And some pics of the ProMag magazine:

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had the .45 Cougar promags and they fed without any problems...
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet. Here is my report. Bags

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=192695
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#3]
how much were the mags? They are for the 92 I presume? The CX4 doesnt require any modification to use those 20 rounders right?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
how much were the mags? They are for the 92 I presume? The CX4 doesnt require any modification to use those 20 rounders right?

The CX4 (90 series) uses Beretta 92 magazines with no modifications.  The 20 rounders are just 92 mags made for pistols.  Since the CX4 (90 series) takes regular 92 mags, these work perfectly in the CX4.  Don't need to do anything but load 'em up and stick 'em in.

The MecGar mags were $25 each and the ProMag was $20 from Midway USA.  MecGars have a better reputation for reliability.  ProMag has been hit-or-miss for a lot of people, but so far, I haven't had any problems with about four different ProMag magazines I've had.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top