Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2006 1:33:42 PM EDT
I just picked up a Weatherby rifle in 300 Wby Mag.  I'm not planning on using it much, maybe once or twice a year for deer (yes, I know its overkill) or a trip to the range.

I need to mount a scope on it.  I don't want/can't justify buying an expensive scope right now.  I have several scopes laying around that I could mount.  The top two contenders are:

1.  Tasco EXP 3-9 x56

or

2.  Tasco World Class Plus 3.5-10x40

I also have a couple of Simmons scopes but I figured the Tascos may hold up better.

My concern is that the scopes may not be able to handle the recoil and stay zeroed.

Can anyone suggest which of my scopes I should try?  Am I just going to have to break down and cough up the cash for something else?  

I also have a Leupold Vari X - IIc and a Burris Fullfield II that I could swap out on other rifles, but they are already zeroed and I don't like to mess with a good thing.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#1]
My friend had a exp on his 06 and it broke! Tasco is trash! Break down and get a nice nikon monarch or leupold rifleman 3X9.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I'd move the Leupold or Burris over to the .300.  I have a Nikon Monarch 3X9 on my .270 Weatherby Mag, and have'nt had any problems out of it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I went ahead and moved the Leupold over.  I have an old Redfield scope to replace the Leupold on the other rifle.  I actually just picked up the Leupold earlier this year to replace the Redfield.  Atleast if I break the Leupold, it is warranted.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The Leupold should hold up well. I have used these for years on some rifles with very heavy recoil.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#5]
We use alot of heavy caliber rifles here in Western Montana, I see very few cheap scopes on them. Even on cheaper rifles I see Leupold and Burris scopes. Ive also seen alot of Zeiss and Swarovski/Kahles scopes lately too. Hunting is alot of work out here. Doesnt make much sense to pack back into the mountains and have your hunt ruined because you saved 100 dollars on a scope...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top