Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/14/2006 2:23:46 PM EDT
To sum up all the threads I've read, appearently this is what We'd REALLLY like to see(bottom example):

In no particular order:
1.)Original(or close)55X folding stock
2.)Original(or close)55X pistol grip
3.)Original(or close)55X Diopter sights
5.)Original(or close)55X handguards/Optional rail system
6.)Optional low profile Picatinny Rail

-New AR type lower receiver being a compromise.

Perhaps if We get enough Yays, Maybe We could send this
rough photoshop(or similar) as a template to Sig(considering the 556 is
still in prototype stage)for what We really want.

Yay or Nay, Says Ye?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Yay
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
To sum up all the threads I've read, appearently this is what We'd REALLLY like to see(bottom example):
www.hunt101.com/img/377239-big.gif</a>
In no particular order:

Yay or Nay, Says Ye?

It needs:
- non-elevated receiver rail
- rail mount rear sight made like the original sight
- original style grip
- original style handguard as an option
- original triggerguard, the AR triggerguard pinch point is NOT something that needs to be replicated
- original style stock folding stock.  offer a shorter length version as well
- take the effort put into making polymer magazines that can connect together and put it toward something useful.  how about a polymer STANAG mag with stainless feedlips like many of the polymer pistol magazines have?  Offer a 20 round version also.

Good points:
+ folding front sight, lots of optics users nowadays
+ user changable barrels
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Better!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Needs a couple things.

1) Bayo lug
2) Gernade ring
3) Original mag well with paddle mag release
4) Steel lower

Oh wait....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Needs a couple things.

1) Bayo lug
2) Gernade ring
4) Steel lower

Oh wait....

Why?

Do you have some grenades stored somewhere that you just have to use

At least Sig is putting the rifle out for civilians, christ you people need to stop complaining. So many people complain about the ARish design...Do you not like you ARs???

Stop yer bitching, I'll buy one just the way it is if they want to sell it to me
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It needs:
- non-elevated receiver rail
- rail mount rear sight made like the original sight
- original style grip
- original style stock folding stock.  offer a shorter length version as well
- take the effort put into making polymer magazines that can connect together and put it toward something useful.  how about a polymer STANAG mag with stainless feedlips like many of the polymer pistol magazines have?  Offer a 20 round version also.

Good points:
+ user changable barrels

I would like to see Clear polymer mags that are similar in design to the original.
This seems feesable.

Quoted:
Needs a couple things.

1) Bayo lug
2) Gernade ring
4) Steel lower

Oh wait....

The realistic functional/cosmetic changes that everybody has noted so far, should be Very easily
adaptable to the existing 556 lower receiver. Given the current circumstances, It looks like We're
pretty much stuck with the AR mutt type receiver-but All's not lost.

We'd all love to see original stamped lowers, Bayo lugs, bbls with grenade rings, etc. But at this point a revamped 550 lower/
all the little intricities are just not realistic. The obvious changes that need to Be made, should be handled first,
than maybe Sig could go from there. Gotta work with what We have.

A few More Photoshoped 556 Reversions:

This very Well could become a reality Folks.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

At least Sig is putting the rifle out for civilians, christ you people need to stop complaining. So many people complain about the ARish design...Do you not like you ARs???

Stop yer bitching, I'll buy one just the way it is if they want to sell it to me

That's great, if you like the current configuration cool, but
the majority of consumers want changes down the road and Sig is listening.
NONE of these obvious changes are far from realistic.

I love ARs for what they are.
I also Love Sig 550s for what they are-Not abominations that look like they are suffering from AR penis envy.
Alot of people share the same sentiment.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#8]
+100,Give it a look closer to the Sig 550 while still atracting buyers with a similar manual of arms and tons of AR mags.My biggest bitch about the AR was the direct gas system, among a host of other things I won't get into. I sold my AR's but I'll likely step up for a Sig.I'm much more likely to buy it  if they revise it similar to some of the photoshops and if they ever come out with a .308 then maybe,just maybe the MIGHTY M-14 will be able to finally retire with a worthy replacement holding the line. But I doubt it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Id be fine with it if they removed the gay raised top rail, the Fobus stock, and the fobus grip. Other than that I like it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I will take it either way, the current configuration, or the revised one.

However, when compaired together, the revised version does look better.

I guess I will see what the final version will be when my dealer that is doing the group buy on these ships my rifle to me sometime between Aug-Nov.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd buy one with the revisions, I "WILL NOT" buy what they had at the SHOT Show.  Yep, I like my AR's, but they are AR's, not SG 55X's.  I mean that's as gay as putting an AR stock on an AK....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#12]
On the bright side, the present situation is as follows:

1.)The current 556 IS a prototype to garner feedback and Sig is listening to what We really want.

2.)New models are to follow-have yet to unveil a carbine variant

3.)Worse come to worse, Us traditionalists go the HK SL-8 to G36 type retrofit/conversion route
and We still have our cake and eat it too.

Worse come to worse-
550/556 parts interchangability:

1.) 55X p. grips and handguards are drop in parts that will fit the 556.

photo from VariableBinary:

2.)55X diopter rear sights can be fitted to existing 556 uppers(basically a 55X upper)

photo from variablebinary:

3.)55X folding stocks should be able to be retrofitted to existing 556 lower
with adapter and or if the dimensions are similar, welded, spaced and fitted as needed.

If Sig doesn't hear Us out, I predict We will see alot of 556-550 conversion projects/threads(per HK Sl8-G36) in the near future.

Photo credit to where credits are due:
Sig 55X lower receiver:

Sig 55X Floding stock mech. and black plate:

Sig 556 Lower receiver:

Sig 55X schematics:

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll buy one either way, I just hope the production model looks closer to the original as in the pics above.  BTW, does anyone know if Sig plans to offer the 556 with a chrome lined barrel?  This is not a deal breaker for me, I just prefer chrom lined barrels.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the carbine revision like it's pictured.............I would get that over the SCAR if they revise it
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I would take the 556 as it is but your 556 Revision 1 Carbine pic makes me reconsider.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I dont even want the 556.....I want the original 550!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I think that SIG would have a hard time producing "real" 550 at a realistic price point to compete with the AR-15 market. In Canada we can get the civilian Pe-90 (semi 550) , but they cost signifigantly more than an AR- something like 2700 USD for the PE90 versus 1200 USD for a nice AR (DPMS/Armalite). Buliding the 556 increases the target market at a price that is competitive with brand name ARs....
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:53:32 AM EDT
[#18]
A few more ideas:
Here is a Sig 556(1) type Carbine 14.29 rendition with extended permanent flash hider to reach 16 in.:

Sig 556(1) type Carbine w/16 in. + Bbl:

Sig 556(1) type Carbine Flattop w/16 in+ Bbl.:
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Try one with diopler sights and a rail in front of it.  Then it would be perfect.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:54:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I can live with the AR stock, although like the rest of you, I'd really want the folding stock.  The only thing that I just CANNOT stomach is the fugly ass grip.  I tried a g27 on my AR just to be fair to it and I hated the way it felt as much as I hate the way it looks.

That said, I'll probably buy one anyway, even if it comes to market exactly the way it was shown at shot.  (gotta supprort the Pro-guns Co.'s)

The carbine versions you P-shopped are awesome BTW.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:25:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
A few more ideas:

Add on the 551 cheek piece, and the original SIG sights (rear mounted behind the flat top rail) and I'd have to say hell yes. Throw in a Brugger and Thomet rail, a Surefire M900, and a TA31 and I think I'd call it as perfect as a STANAG magazine version can get.

I'd still like to see original 550 mags used, but I'd have absolutely no trouble buying one in the form you posted above. I think you should post that picture every chance you get on SIGForum, and if enough people vote in this thread, maybe send SIG a link here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I for one like the new grip and I like the fact that the new foreend is railed, the only thing I would particularly like to see brought back is the Sig folding stock.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:32:07 AM EDT
[#23]
IronBaclava,
       I would send those pics to SIG.....it couldnt hurt anything, and I would love to see the carbine version come out..........I can live with the M-16 mags.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
A few more ideas:
www.hunt101.com/img/377367-big.gif

This is exactly what I want with a B&T railed fore-end.

Quoted:
IronBaclava,
       I would send those pics to SIG.....it couldnt hurt anything, and I would love to see the carbine version come out..........I can live with the M-16 mags.

+1 on sending the pics to Sig.  Get them to Sigforum, hopefully Sig will see them there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Needs a couple things.

1) Bayo lug
2) Gernade ring
4) Steel lower

Oh wait....

Why?

Do you have some grenades stored somewhere that you just have to usehe
Stop yer bitching, I'll buy one just the way it is if they want to sell it to mehr

+1 and ditto for the bayonet lug.
there is a fine line between firearms enthusiast and gun nut. stay between the lines, the lines are your friends.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/377239-big.gif
In no particular order:

Yay or Nay, Says Ye?

1. I want a folding 55x stock that adapts to 556 receiver attach point.  No reason 556 as is cannot be adaptable
2. AR pistol grip attachment so can be adapted by user as available
3. standard 1913 rail on the upper receiver with BUIS version of the 55x original sight or any other sight on market for 1913 standard (why elevated? even w/built in BUIS, make BUIS fit the rail, not the rail fit the BUIS)
4. could care less.  IF I could pick, a module approach (user adjustable rail locations) with quick/toolless barrel changes.
5. see 3.

Will I buy one?  I don't know.  I have kids/budget, and my AR works fine. If I ever win the lotto (means I'd have to buy a ticket) then it'd be great.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/377239-big.gif</a>
In no particular order:

Yay or Nay, Says Ye?

It needs:
- non-elevated receiver rail They already did this the rail is bolted on and can be high or low profile High rail has built in BUIS
- rail mount rear sight made like the original sight They already have this I believe
- original style grip
- original triggerguard, the AR triggerguard pinch point is NOT something that needs to be replicated
- original style stock folding stock.  offer a shorter length version as well They will offer a drop in replacement that will be the original stock
- take the effort put into making polymer magazines that can connect together and put it toward something useful.  how about a polymer STANAG mag with stainless feedlips like many of the polymer pistol magazines have?  Offer a 20 round version also. THey already clip together with the current 556 mags so you are in luck

Good points:
+ user changable barrels

Lots of stuff is already there... are you happy?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Folders are useless. I happen to like the MAGPUL concept photo and my hack job of the MAGPUL concept

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#29]
About the only thing I have use for in a folder is ease of storage. However, seeing as the design doesn't prohibit a folder, I see absolutely no reason not to have that option.

Having no buffer internals means that even the minority that want the AR stocks could still have a folder. Why go out of your way to make sure the rifle still has one of the AR15/M16's flaws when it doesn't have to?

I still prefer the original stock with out that goofy receiver extension plate, but I do think being able to adapt an AR stock has it's benefits (although the majority doesn't want them).
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the feedback so far everybody.

I tried to "modify" the existing stock 556 with the features that most people seem to want to have,
and the results of the poll so far seem to reflect that.

As for the people who suggested I send the pics in as an example to Sig reps, It's been done!
With enough pressure, hopefully We'll all get what We want.

In the meantime, please keep voting.

Thanks,
IB

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#31]
the magpul stock on the carbine reversion and the SBR reversion would be awesome. i can live with the stock, and i can live with the AR mags, but that's about it. please e-mail these pics and possibly this thread to Sig and maybe our voices will be heard.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#32]
IronBalaclava - SIG should pay your ass for all the work you're doing that they didn't do.  YOUR designs blw away the SIGimitation they had at SHOT SHOW.  Hopefully they'll listen.  ALready posted my impressions of the 556 on another thread about the SHOT SHOW.

Below pics is all SIG needs to do on the stock to make everyone happy.  I personally don't need a CAR stock on mines's and I doubt anyone else needs it for body armor issues.

IRONBALA - where in Mich are you?  I'm about to move to Fmtn Hills.http://i1.tinypic.com/nx7rtd.jpghttp://i1.tinypic.com/nx7s4l.jpg
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
IronBalaclava - SIG should pay your ass for all the work you're doing that they didn't do.  YOUR designs blw away the SIGimitation they had at SHOT SHOW.  Hopefully they'll listen.  ALready posted my impressions of the 556 on another thread about the SHOT SHOW.

Below pics is all SIG needs to do on the stock to make everyone happy.  I personally don't need a CAR stock on mines's and I doubt anyone else needs it for body armor issues.

IRONBALA - where in Mich are you?  I'm about to move to Fmtn Hills.i1.tinypic.com/nx7rtd.jpgi1.tinypic.com/nx7s4l.jpg

Thanks Borat and Welcome aboard!
I'd like to take credit for those revisions, but those spawned from frustration and are pretty much what Sig should have done in the first place.

I remember hearing before SHOT Show that the 556 was going to take AR mags and  <BAMPF!>
a picture appeared in My mind of a Sig lower with an AR magwell type construction(and that's what We got).I figured this couldn't be too bad......untill I saw everything else they had done to the classic Sig design.

Funny, I had just got done posting that same pic of the 552 You just posted with the original receiver and a
AR type folding stock adaptor on the hinge plate in another thread. Nothing like a folding AND Collapsing option.
We, like alot of others are definetly thinking along the same lines.

I'm in Washtenaw County. Drop Me a line sometime.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Either of these would be suitable should a folder not be available

Quoted:
Folders are useless. I happen to like the MAGPUL concept photo and my hack job of the MAGPUL concept

www.magpul.com/pics/sig1.jpg
www.mstarmetro.net/~acouret/556concept.JPG

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#35]
For those that need mounting solutions:

Ready to Rock

With pre-existing collapsible stock adaptor:

It just makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, with orginal style trigger guard and folding stock.  
Have someone sell an adaptor to add the collapsible stock of your choice like the sig gun on page 2.  
Are the original lowers a controlled part?  Might be nice to get one of these for the 55x conversion/sbr type projects.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:09:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

www.magpul.com/pics/sig1.jpg
www.mstarmetro.net/~acouret/556concept.JPG

I'd love to have either of those.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:39:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Sounds like you guys are trying to turn it into an AR.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Some of my experimentation with my Sig PE90.  The last shots are it's current configeration.  One of these days I'll paint ok, it's blue now cause that is how they made it ;)

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Balaclava, Nice work.  
I was at SHOT and spoke with Eric Von Boess, The project manager on the 556.
He was very receptive to all the comments made concerning the 556 and our wants.  A couple of things I noticed:
- The reach to the magazine release was excessive, and there was no gate protecting it from accidental
  release.
- The lower receiver, including the buttstock attachment point is one piece making a stock change to a  
  side folder difficult without a redesign.

I  think your PhotoShop images address our  wants very well.  Sig is listening,  Eric told me these are working prototypes and changes will be made before production begins.  He also said that the  M4 stock,
and AR magazine was at the request of  Law Enforcement agencies.  One last item, he also stated that
Sig Management is firm on starting production by 6/06,  and other versions will be forthcomiong.

Speculation on my part, is Sig worried that the Democrats/Socialists might get control of the Congress first and then the White House enacting a ironclad Assault Weapons Ban?  This would certainly impact
their profits and return on their investment.

I have faith that the 556 will be worth having,  and have placed an order through RSR for  a standard 556 and a swat version.

Thanks again for your good work.
firedog55
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I will take a carbine version with a folding stock please. I hope they make the stock an option, either folding or M4 style. This seems to be the biggest compaint so we will see if Sig is listening to us.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Why would SIG design in the CAR stock because Law Enforce wanted it when LE can get the real SIG and put the CAR-style folder on it as pictured a few posts earlier?  I believe the Civilan 556 sales will be vastly greater than any LE sales but I could be wrong - but aren't the REAL SIGs available to LE Only the same price as the 556 price?  And for the hundredth time, the easiest thing to do is to have the lower receiver have the ability to take the 55x folder which allows you to attach the CAR-style folder.

Like I posted before, the bigshot at the SIG booth at SHOTSHOW said that they had done a LOT of marketing - HA - guess they never asked anybody on any of the boards I visit.  If they did there's hardly a thing they'd have to change on the 55x.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
A few more ideas:

Sig 556(1) type Carbine w/16 in. + Bbl:
www.hunt101.com/img/377365-big.gif

www.hunt101.com/img/377367-big.gif

Did you use different pics for the regular carbine and flattop? The flat top looks like it has some differences in the stock and other small things. Its like I want the rair but I also want iron sights so I wouldnt have to use a scope or red dot all the time. Unless the flat top has some form or sight that I just dont see.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#45]
borat,
I have no great insight into Sig management's thinking.  I only repeated what I was told.  Could be that L.E.  only needs the colapsible stock for tactical vests  and Sig sought to keep the price down.  The 556 is entirely U.S. made by SigArms and the 55X is foreign,  2 different companies.
firedog55
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#46]
The 556 is not entirely US made.

It does have some foreign parts.... at this time no one is exactly sure which ones.

I'd venture a guess that the barrel, bolt,carrier and piston will be Swiss ( wishful thinking of course )

The "hammer forged" barrel description is a dead give away on that one.

In the next couple of months we should know exactly what all is made domestic and vice versa.

We do know for sure that the receiver and UGLY AS SHIT furniture are made in the US  

No one is going to argue that....

ETA: It would be better for the parts count if Sigarms is making
the bolt, bolt carrier and piston in house. Then we could mix and match the
furniture because we all know it needs it  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Nay
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:25:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Ironbalaclava- YOU, sir, are an artist!  Excellent work.  The "Ready to Rock" pics were fantastic!  

I agree with most, that the original backplate of the lower receiver should be used, allowing the use of EITHER the original stock, OR the AR adapter.  By adapting FROM the existing 556 receiver TO a folding stock, you run the risk of having a Length of Pull MUCH too long for most.  I had this problem with Top Notch's SL8 lower.  I sold it off, because I couldn't get a decent LOP.  

The raised top-rail is a non-issue.  Either the raised rail or a flush rail can be mounted to the 556 receiver.  

The forearm is a non-issue.  The 556 can accept the original forearms.  My only gripe with the 556 forearm, is that the flashlight mount is only useful if you use a corded touchpad.  I like to use my thumb from a VFG, so I need the flashlight (side) rail closer to the receiver.  The "carbine Magpul reversion" shows a shorter handguard with the rail in the right place.  As long as B&T makes a railed forearm that fits, it's ALL GOOD!  

I hope a diopter sight can be made that will attach to the existing flush-mounted top rail.  It should be on the correct sight plane with the front flip sight.  This would allow a red dot scope to be used, if not co-witnessed, at least the sights would be visible in the lower 1/3.  

The grip is a non-issue.  Sig has stated the original pistol grip fits on the 556.  

I like that it uses AR mags.  I wouldn't even consider it if it used original Sig 55X mags.  It's a logistics issue with me.

The interchangeable barrel system is AWESOME!  Thank you Sig for making this a reality!  [bows to greatness]

As long as Sig releases a model/version that comes standard with the original furniture, I'll be happy.  I don't like the idea of paying $1300 for a rifle, and THEN buying all new grip/folding stock/forearm/flush rail/diopter sight for it.  I'm hoping this is what the SWAT version will come with standard.  

Call me crazy, but I would also like to see the barrel/chamber chrome-lined and in 1/7 twist.  1/9 is fine, but the chrome-lining is pretty important to me.  

Thanks Headdamage for those pics!  I guess you already have the AR adapter for your Sig.  How does it work?  Is it a solid lockup?  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:09:22 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/378025-big.gif

Ready to Rock
www.hunt101.com/img/378024-big.gif

It just makes sense.

Great work IronBalaclava!  I would definitely be turned on to the Sig if they offered a version like these.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:38:32 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/378025-big.gif

Ready to Rock
www.hunt101.com/img/378024-big.gif

With pre-existing collapsible stock adaptor:
www.hunt101.com/img/378032-big.gif

It just makes sense.

Those would be the ones I'd want; you nailed it!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top