Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 6:49:09 PM EDT
I went to the gun shop today and they have a sweet DMPS carbine.  I really like it, flat top with sight, free float.

Anyway, I am expecting a bonus this week and was thinking about getting it...depending how big my bonus is.  But I was just looking at mags online and the cheapest I found 20 rounder for is $39+S&H.

WTH?  thats nuts.  The price of mags is making me think about holding off and waiting for the RRA 308 in summer(hopefully).  At least that will use $5 FAL mags.

Why are their mags costing so much?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#1]
DPMS mags cost so much because the are real AR.308 mags like SR25 mags. Not modifed M14 mags or FAL mags.

$39 is not so bad. Think back to what life was like two short years ago. SR25 20 round mags were $150 and Armalite 20 round mags were $85

Yeah FAL mags are cheap, and you could go for the RRA .308, but did they fix the broken bolt problem that the Bushmaster FAB-10 had???

If not, I would rather pay a little extra for mags than new bolts.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#3]
You can buy them new for 30.

Check EE.

When you have a DPMS you have a very nice rifle and wont have issues with the mags because they are not modified and cause issues.

Mine work great.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#4]
K.  I am really warming up to this rifle now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No, they didn't, because it's a design/engineering problem that can't be fixed.  The FAL bolt locks from the back, and the FAL mag is designed to feed to the center.  The AR uses a front-locking bolt, and the ammo has to feed from the sides around the 6-o'clock locking lug.  RRA has removed 2/3 or so of the 6-o'clock lug from the barrel extension so that the ammo will feed, but this, IMO, weakens the system too much, and will result in broken bolts, just like it did for Bushmaster.

Hesse and ASA went the other way and left the lug in place, but their guns wouldn't feed.  It's a no-win situation.

The correct solution is to buy a gun that uses a mag that works correctly with the gun.  Both the Armalite (modified M14) and KAC/DPMS (original AR10) solutions work fine.

The weakest link in any semi- or full-auto gun is the feed system, and if it isn't 100%, you are going to have a miserable experience, no matter what else is good.

Going cheap means losing the entire investment when it doesn't work right.

-Troy

Troy, I must disagree to some extent. About 90% of the broken bolts have been at the tail shaft. Many people dispell the fact they had an indent in them that made them weak. This was not a rumor, and it is fact. Bushmaster deleted this indent, and RRA has publicly stated that they are thickening the bolt even further to avoid such issues.

I have yet to see a BAR10 bolt broken from the specific use of FAL mags, aside from one chipped lug that couldn't be 100% blamed on the mags themselves. I'm not saying they aren't out there, but aside from the tail shaft issue, broken bolts in the BAR10 seem to be about as common as a regular AR15.

Here's a picture that shows the weakened area where the bolts seem to be having the real trouble. Bushmaster fixed it late in production, and RRA is going to beef it up even more.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The bolt tail breaking is unrelated to the problem I was talking about.  I agree with the problem and solution you discuss, but that's not the issue I was referring to.

-Troy

Yes, but my point was that only a very miniscule amount of bolt breakages have been in areas outside of the tail. I agree that shaving down one of the lugs is a possible failure waiting to happen, but thus far it seems to be a very rare occurence. As I mentioned, aside from a chipped lug, I haven't seen a failure in any other portion of the bolt.

Based on what I've seen, I don't think the shaved lug is enough of a problem to dismiss the design as a failure just yet. I share your opinion that it is a risky move, but it has yet to prove itself to be a serious problem. JMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top