Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:34:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The Sig 55x series is considered a AK variant, has a Kalashnikov gas system.

I haven't quite bought into that as there are more differences than similarities between the two.  Not that I dislike AKs.

I understand the desire to have the "real thing" but I guess I'm not surprised that 15 years later what they're offering us is quite a bit different.  I'm not disappointed because I didn't have certain expectations, other than another fine rifle for me to plink with.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
if you listen closely....you can hear the hearts of 1000 arfcommers breaking.

"I feel a great disturbance in the Force. As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:16:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I kinda feel bad for SIG. They put a lot of work into this rifle (not enough work) to unveil at SHOT, and thinking that this will be at hit with the American public because one, we have been screaming for a SIG 550/551 rifle since 1989.

And two, the Armerican market is flooded with guns that have AR features. From AKs, Cetmes to Remington pump shotguns and rifles people are putting AR stocks on everything.

So SIG think they have a real winner.....but what we want is the same gun that was for sale in 1989.

I'm going to buy the new SIG 556 we need to support gun makers that are trying to bring their black rifle to the US, but I am affraid it will turn into a HK SL8/G36 project to make the rifle whole again.

Lets hope SIG gets a hard time at SHOT and brings back the true SIG 550.

Chris

+1 Chris..you hit the nail on the head
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:17:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like I'll just wait until FN brings out the civilian SCAR.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHAT? Never seen a recoil enhancer before? Gosh, where have you been man?

Is that recoil enhancer held on with a split washer!

Yeah, of course! Why do you think it's called a crush(ed) washer!?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#7]
They fucked this up just like the Mosquito.

Sig has it's head in the sand.

I don't understand why they aren't making more P226 Tacticals with the threaded barrel.

This is one of the few pistols on the market that is suppressor ready.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#8]
With a side folder stock and grip from the older 55X series, it would look alot better.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I am AMAZED.

The Sigforum people most LOVE this. The AR15 forum people mostly hate this. If anything I expected the reverse!

For me, I own originals. If the SWAT version of this ditches the forearm, and has a low-profile upper rail, then I can live with it once I get rid of the stock and pistol grip.

If they had made it an exact copy of the orinal, it would be a must-have. Like this, it is still probably a must have once I am sure they stabilized the design.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I think the reason people are so disapointed in this is because they wanted a SIG...not something else.
We don't want an improved product...we want a rifle that we have not been able to get for 15 years.
I am not one for Euro rifles, but I have always wanted a SIG 55X like the Swiss Army uses.
Looks like I'll have to keep wanting one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll pass.  I have an AR already.  Maybe I will just save up for the F2000.

Max
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Meh.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I think the reason people are so disapointed in this is because they wanted a SIG...not something else.
We don't want an improved product...we want a rifle that we have not been able to get for 15 years.
I am not one for Euro rifles, but I have always wanted a SIG 55X like the Swiss Army uses.
Looks like I'll have to keep wanting one.

+187

This is exactly why I didnt hold my breath or believe the hype bs.

Companies have no clue nowdays what their customer base wants, only offers what it wants to sell them, and then cant figure out why they dont get the record sales. We want their guns, but we want their guns. All those damn pencil heads in their office must be europeans and not understand the question they have been asked 25 times a day since the AWB died.

For the most part Sig now has an AR like S&W.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#14]
If sig really wanted to go a new direction they would have relocated the charging handle on the left side and built the ability to fold the ar type stock.  They could have also developed coupling ar mags.  Good thing magpuls new stock kind-of looks like a sig stock
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#15]
One thing about a REAL 550 is that it would have to be imported from Switzerland, and last time I checked the 1989 Assault Weapons Importation Ban was still in effect.  SigArms is finally making a rifle and everyone bitches about it.  I say kudos to the company for at least trying to get something started.  If anyone reads the press release it says that there are other models to come.  I'll be waiting for a SWAT model myself and stick some form of Magpul goodness on it and be happy.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
www.zmweapons.com/Slider.JPG

www.zmweapons.com/Folder.JPG

www.zmweapons.com/LR%20300-SR-N%202.JPG

solution?

If you're into hideously ugly folding AR buttstocks.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
WTF does everybody hate so much about the AR stock and grip?

I like telescopers over side folders.  Side folders are for AKs.

And SIGs.

Telestocks are for AR's - pure and simple.  The telestock was introduced because of the inherent limitation in the AR platform, specifically, a folding stock could not be mounted.

I really don't have a problem with them - on an AR.

The whole "adjustable length of pull" argument is well and good, but that's not why the AR has a telestock - the original stocks were 2-position, so there wasn't really much of an adjustment there.

My other issue is that the AR telestock is becoming synonymous with crap.  Take a look at this picture:

I'm getting to the point where I'm embarrassed to see one on my M4gery - and it belongs on that damned thing!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#18]
+1 on the folding stock--thats about all the basic AR CANT do

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Man you guys sure do whine a lot...

Folding stock's enhance usablity of the rifle. The fact that it uses AR stocks mean's there are alot of them already out there. And besides how long do you think it will be before ACE LDT releases a side folder for it.

The plastic handgaurd while looking ugly has rails in all the places you need right out of the box.

If you actually paid attention to the photo's you'd see the rear BUIS is built in. Although I hope they release a rail mounted diopter sight for it. Because persoanlly I like the BUIS permantly deployed.

Just because it looks like an AR isn't a bad thing. Perhaps they wheren't trying to build a Sig 550 for the people that wanted ones just like the orginal but instead where trying to build the best rifle possible for serious social work. I think people who actually use the gun will welcome most of these improvement's why those who "collect" firearms to allow them to set in there closest will poo-poo it for not being true to the orginal.

chris
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I am disapointed to,  I do not want a folding stock, but I dont want a collapsible stock right off of an M4 either.   I much prefer an adjustbale collapsible stock over a side folder, the side folder is pointless really.  But why the high rise rail on the receiver?    what a let down!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#21]
i think it would be a damn good gun. but i think id take an SCAR over it
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#22]
And the pictured beast may still have some pre-production type features.

They may still yet clean up that fore-end (or we wait and replace with a KAC RAS or some other makers foreend, that will be available before you know it, that solves that problem)

The AR mags I am very thankful for, who wants to mess with buying 30 factory Sig mags?
Those suckers would run as much as factory MP5 mags.

The stock is pretty gnarly, but as some have mentioned, ACE or someone will engineer a good side folder for it in no time at all.

I am absolutely on board, thank God SIG had the balls to re-enter the turbulent American black-rifle market.

Going to talk to my local dealer and sign up for the first one he gets.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#24]
It's ugly as shit!

I want the original Sig rifle...

I will not be getting one...  

I think the same of the new AUG A3...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The AR mags I am very thankful for, who wants to mess with buying 30 factory Sig mags?

People that can afford a $1200 rifle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

People that can afford a $1200 rifle.

I just spent 2400 on an HK94, and I'm freakin pissed everytime I have to pay 50 bucks for a freaking magazine. No reason they should cost that much.

A nicely optioned AR with hoopy stock and railed fore-end is going to run just as much as one of these bad dogs. But at least mags don't kill you.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder how long before it shows up on Battlestar Galactica. Its sure fugly enough to fit the bill...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I don't understand why they aren't making more P226 Tacticals with the threaded barrel.

It may be "suppressor ready", but nobody in the US has a metric threaded 9mm can unless they special ordered it. Having to buy a new endcap totally defeats the purpose of buying a "suppressor ready" pistol. They dropped the ball on that one too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I was pissed off, but now I'm feeling sorry for SIG. I think they're a great company, but the desire behind the 551 is lacking in this rifle.

I also find it funny how the SIG fans who hate the AR are jumping over a rifle that resembles it so much. AR stocks, AR mags, AR pistol grips, AR fire control groups, and AR flash suppressors.

I wish SIG luck in their endeavor and I take back any rude comments I have made. Sadly, I won't be buying one in that configuration. If they come out with a set up like below though, I'll buy two! Substitute a TA31 for the optic, and add a Brugger and Thomet four railed handguard with a Surefire M900 and I'd be in love.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Some facts from SIGforum:

The rifle pictured is the LONG version, the SIG 556 "L".

The SIG 556 "SWAT" will have a FLAT TOP receiver, stated as an alternative to the standard receiver.  This leads me to believe it will have the more traditional setup.  I would definitely take that over the elevated rail/carryhandle pictured (I really wish they hadn't machined it into the receiver that way).

I don't think it's half as ugly as some of you guys do, but I'm not 100% satisfied.  I will most likely get the SWAT model if the receiver is what I think it is.  Much appreciation to SIG for going where some are too arrogant to, even if the product is not exactly how I hoped it would be.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I could live with everything but the stock. Sig basically made a preban AR18 execept the stock sucks.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It may be "suppressor ready", but nobody in the US has a metric threaded 9mm can unless they special ordered it. Having to buy a new endcap totally defeats the purpose of buying a "suppressor ready" pistol. They dropped the ball on that one too.

Both AAC and Gemtech offer metric threaded cans for this pistol as a standard offering.  Read their catalog.

http://www.advanced-armament.com/products/pistols/evolution.asp
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#33]
You guys kill me...yeah, it kinda looks like an AR, but it has the SAME piston operating system as the 550 and it can be had for just under a $1,000. I don't see any other AR piston systems out there that can deliver a complete rifle for less than you'd pay for a POF or a Leitner Wise(sp?).

In fact, the POF is about $200 more just for the complete rifle with the regular uppper w/the plastic handguards and no place for mounting lights, etc.

Maybe the people on the SIG site are all over this thing because it's something that has AR ergos and accuracy, but uses a PROVEN 550 OP system rather than the DI system...and it has all the places for mounting shit right out of the box. Oh, and it's AFFORDABLE.

As for myself, I will be getting one, ASAP.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

What a fucking travisty

+1
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Not impressed with:

1. AR type retractable stock vs traditional SIG folder
2. Samco style pistol grip vs traditional SIG grip
3. Can live with AR mags, I mean it is somewhat of a benefit due to availability.
4. Butt ugly forearm.

Other than that, sign me up.

Agreed........except for the "sign me up" part
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Not for you guys then?

Ok, I'll take the spares!  I think that's a sharp looking rifle!

No shit.
It's not that dang bad.
I've seen much worse. I actuallty kind of like it.
And yes I have sen the other sig rifles everyone is screaming that they want and screaming that this one should have been like the old version.
Dam give 'em a break. It's the first release.
I'm sure it will get better. Doesn't the AR ?
New stock designs, new fore arms, grips, and mags.  Not everyone is going to like it, love it or hate it.
At least they are actually making somehting and putting it out there.
But I'm sure they will sell plenty.
If I have the cash, I wouldn't turn it down.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Wow, it isn't nearly as ugly as you all make it out to be  

Not that it matters anyway, performance is all that matters.  So before you moan and bitch because it's not the gun you envisioned it to be at least wait and see how it works before pissing on SIG.  

Kudos to SIG for finally bring a rifle over here to the states.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I think the gun looks great, only prblem I have is with the reciever rail being raised like that. It looks teh ghey. Other than that, I think it's pretty cool. BTW, they should have put on a multi poisition folder stock of some sort, that would have been very cool. God damnit though, I already blew my money on my new bushy upper, eotech and 2k rounds of IMI. Got $200 left though, so I hope to by this within a year. Why did they show the 20" one first, that is the ugliest one, plus the other might have a different rail, due to their non "marksmaness"
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#41]
This would be much better than what they are offering.

www.sigarms.com/apps/cmt/img/sg-551-2-sp--large.jpg
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Personally, I like it.  Not exactly what I envisioned, but close enough.  My only complaint is the stock.

I won't have any money left in the Summer, so I'll have to settle for an AR.

Plus, let's all admit it, it's priced right considering who makes it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't even think Al Pacino would have used tha in Heat.

I have to agree... why put so much US-style crap. If I wanted all that I'd buy an M4.

I'm curious though... are those Samco-style grips rubberized? They look it going off the picture. Possibly the only appealing thing about that rifle. Good to know I won't have to add another gun to my wishlist... it's already out of control.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
This would be much better than what they are offering.

www.sigarms.com/apps/cmt/img/sg-551-2-sp--large.jpg

Why would it be better, because you think it looks prettier?

Fucking Christ, you people need to get your priorities strait. I highly fucking doubt they would replace the "normal" SIG 551 with something that is shittier, so lets give them the benefit of the doubt
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Sometimes I wonder if Sig even did any market research.

Sure Joe Blow might say "Hey, that's a Sig!  I need to buy it!" but usually, the informed consumer, and the gun enthusiast in particular, will think that this gun is too far away from the 55x series to even be mentioned in the same sentence with it.

And what is up with the rasied optics rail?  Looks like the god-awful RRA EOP uppers.  [barf]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#47]
I applaud Sig for bringing it out.  I would buy one if I could afford the $.  I think the fact that it is in .556 instead of .308, and the fact that it takes ar-15 mags, which I have a large stock of is a bigger plus, than the non-folding buttstock is.  They should have just made the 55x in 5.56, made it accept ar mags, and let us have that.  Bring one in .308 next year, and then let us make mods to it (might be better if one wanted an ar stock to sell the adaptor as an add-on instead of removing one of the features that I like about the rifle (sometimes a folder is better than a collapser.........and I want both)/
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm just terribly confused about what it is - is it an AR or a Sig?

It'd be a lot cooler if they'd have left it alone. I don't see why they wouldn't have, is the thing. Certainly it would have been cheaper to leave it alone - why not leave it alone?

Edit to say that I have to say that I like the AR mag thing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Well...... that's one way to make it uglier I guess.

Good lord.  Is that thing (stock) real?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top