Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 7:47:26 PM EDT
Ok, ultralight may not be the right word, but a real light and handy bolt action, preferably in 308.

Looking at this little guy;

It is the Ruger Mk II Compact in 308 stainless/laminate stock.

Anyone using anything else?  Looking for similar options.  Looking for a rifle to carry alot and shoot a little, reasonably accurate out to 200 yds.  Prefer 308.  Prefer as resilient to the elements as possible.

Thanks
Doc
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I have about 60+ guns but only one I use for hunting, everything from antolope to elk.

A Win M-70 featherweight in 257 roberts, with a lepold 4 power fixed scope.  It the 15 plus years I've been hunting with it it has never let me down.  I never had to shoot an animal twice and I can carry it all day with out tiring.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Remington Model 7.

39.25" OAL
6.25lbs
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:19:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one in 260 with 2x7 Leupold.  I also have a Remington Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08 with 2.5x8 Leupold compact.   Either would be fine to 200 the mountain rifle farther.   Recoil would be stiff in the Ruger in 308.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:20:51 AM EDT
[#4]
wow that looks like a m77mkii which is very different from a mkii.  sorry i had to point that out.  

give the cz550 series a look.  according to the website they start around 7.3lbs.  also the tikka t3 lite weighs in at a light 6.1lbs.  the browning a-bolt composite is the same weight.  the remington 700 titanium weighs in at under 5.5 but the msrp is real high.  weatherby makes their mk v in a 5.75lb ultralight.  the remington 70 featherweight is 6.5.  

i have heard good things about the ruger, cz, and tikka rifles.  but i would suspect that all of these choices would work for your desired purposes.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Remington Model 7.

www.remington.com/images/products/firearms/centerfire/smsil_7std_ss.jpg

39.25" OAL
6.25lbs

I have a 1980s era Winchester 70  20" bbl carbine in 308 which is my primary deer rifle.  However, I got a chance to handle a Model 7 in 308 as pictured, a few weeks ago. It would be my first choice if I ever replaced my Winny.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out the Kimber also - a little pricey compared to the Ruger but the samples I have seen are well built and accurate for an ultralight rifle.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
wow that looks like a m77mkii which is very different from a mkii.  sorry i had to point that out.  

give the cz550 series a look.  according to the website they start around 7.3lbs.  also the tikka t3 lite weighs in at a light 6.1lbs.  the browning a-bolt composite is the same weight.  the remington 700 titanium weighs in at under 5.5 but the msrp is real high.  weatherby makes their mk v in a 5.75lb ultralight.  the remington 70 featherweight is 6.5.  

i have heard good things about the ruger, cz, and tikka rifles.  but i would suspect that all of these choices would work for your desired purposes.

+1 on the A-Bolt.

I have one in .260 Remington that is a pleasure to carry in the woods.  Even topped with a Kahles CL with 50mm bell the weight is easy to handle.  Accuracy with these rifles is also good with mine able to produce (when I do my part) about .75MOA consistantly @ 100yds.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Ditch the laminate, that shit's heavy.
Any sporter profile barrel on a synthetic stock will do.  Less metal the better.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Ruger in 30-06 stainless barrel with a synthetic stock.

Its a great hunting weapon IMO. Got it for my 16th B-Day, my favorite rifle.

Im not sure about the weight on it but I never thought it was heavy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for the Kimber...If you don't want to spend that much then my second choice would be a Remington Mod. 7 or 700 Mtn Rifle.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ok, ultralight may not be the right word, but a real light and handy bolt action, preferably in 308.

Looking at this little guy;

www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/images/Products/107L.gif

It is the Ruger Mk II Compact in 308 stainless/laminate stock.

Anyone using anything else?  Looking for similar options.  Looking for a rifle to carry alot and shoot a little, reasonably accurate out to 200 yds.  Prefer 308.  Prefer as resilient to the elements as possible.

Thanks
Doc

I have a Weatherby Mark V ULtra Lightweight in 30-06, it's a hell of a rifle. They don't make this model any more, but CDNN has a similar rifle in their current catalog, price is right too.

Google CDNN Investments and download the catalog to see the guns.

I also have a stainless Synthetic Rem model 7 in .308. Another fantastic rifle, in fact my son has this one with him up in Colorado for elk and mule deer hunting.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top