Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/2/2006 4:31:57 AM EDT
Does anyone here have the equipment to parkerize a gun part? I bought a Choate magazine extension for a Remington 870 Police Magnum that I bought last week thinking the parkerized finish of the extension would match the 870's finish. It does not. The extension is black whereas my 870 has a traditional dark gray parkerized finish.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:36:50 AM EDT
I had my mag extension reparked by the small outfit in Texas that advertises in Shotgun News. It was a good match for the parkerizing on the 870. Texas Armament was the name of the company, I think. Good prices, too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:38:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Barrelburner:
I had my mag extension reparked by the small outfit in Texas that advertises in Shotgun News. It was a good match for the parkerizing on the 870. Texas Armament was the name of the company, I think. Good prices, too.

Cool. I get Shotgun News. I'll have to look around and see what I can find when I get home.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:58:45 AM EDT
Found this info on the Fulton Armory website...I think this is the company.

Texas Armament Co.

905 Pecan Street

Brownwood, TX 76801

Phone: (915) 646-5827

Ordnance style manganese phosphate metal finishing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:03:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Barrelburner:
Found this info on the Fulton Armory website...I think this is the company.

Texas Armament Co.

905 Pecan Street

Brownwood, TX 76801

Phone: (915) 646-5827

Ordnance style manganese phosphate metal finishing.

Great! Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:55:50 AM EDT
Brownells sells a bake on Moly/teflon spray that matches the color of parkerizing pretty closely. You spray and bake, i use a small toaster oven i got at Salvation Army for $5.
I use that method when i have small parts to do and don't want to heat up the whole shebang for parkerizing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:51:45 AM EDT
IM sent
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:54:22 AM EDT
I have a park set-up at home. E-mail me. If you send it to me, I'll park it for you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:03:07 PM EDT
Before spending MORE money having it parkerized, I'd check and make sure the extension you got IS parkerized.
Choate's standard finish is a satin black sulfate finish, and I've had problems in the past with ordering parkerized and actually getting black.

The Choate parkerized finish IS a dark gray finish, NOT black.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:24:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:27:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By raf:
Parkerizing, if done properly, adds dimensionally to the piece. Granted, it is a small amount, but even that small amount may interfere with the proper operation of critical-fit parts. Moreover, the Park has a rough surface which, until it is worn smooth, can cause roughness in operation.

Suggest you reconsider.

I concur. I parked the small parts of my underfolder assembly for an AK, and we'll just say that it didn't work anymore.
Top Top