Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/31/2006 7:49:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 7:54:22 PM EDT by Master_Blaster]
So, I'm in the market for a safe, & have been eyeballing some Liberty models at the local shop, but would like some genuine feedback from the hive mind. Rate them, or suggest another I haven't mentioned. Bang for the buck, & w/ an eye on quality, how do you rate them? What would you buy on a cost-effectiveness ratio?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:29:40 PM EDT
Tag

In the market as well.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:30:46 PM EDT
i got one from cabelas, thing is solid, i dont know who they have make em for em, but the thing is a rock, it was also 1800 bucks so it outta be
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:35:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:52:01 AM EDT
Magnum Security, made by National Security. An out of production model from 1996, weighing 775 pounds. 27 cubic feet. Cost at the time of purchase was around $1400. I like knowing my guns are locked up when I'm not at home.

GL
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:06:37 AM EDT
there was a real nice discussion on this a few months ago... check "search"... I did a search for "gun safe" back 30 days and got 20 hits... Biggest thing I have picked up is...

1) buy bigger than you think you need
2) bolt it down
3) don't buy into the hype of fire-ratings and such
4) you get what you pay for
5) combo vs digital = you decide
6) be sure to get a de-humidifier (goldenrod)
7) look around locally - probably better deals and no huge s&h costs
8) consider adding your weapons to your insurance (rider)
9) a good one is heavy, consider this when thinking of where you going to put it
10) keep in mind accessibility

G'luck!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:21:02 AM EDT
Tagged for safe info.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:46:10 AM EDT
Ask local FFL's who they bought their safe from.
I stopped in at the local Scheel's and the local security shop.
Both places carried Liberty safes. There was about a $100 differnece in price and neither deliverd.
I then asked the FFL that I use for transfers about safes. He bought his from a local guy that sells safes on the side. The guy is a farmer and sells safes on the side. He keeps an inventory of safes (8-15 various models and colors). He delivers to your house and will also move it inside. Price diference was around $200. This local FFL also sells safes. He places an order with the company when he gets 6 safes. The company then drop ships to all who ordered. Pretty reasonable, but I decided not to wait.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:30:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 5:58:41 AM EDT by maxell27]
I just purchased a Smith And Wesson Patriot Safe. It is a good safe and I like it.

Nice solid construction, lockable dial, pre drilled hole for golden rod and light, lotsa room.

Max
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:46:13 AM EDT
I purchased a $999.00 Cannon safe from Academy two years ago for $500.00. I was a floor model. It has the rotary dial with the key in the middle. I couldn't decide if I wanted the dial or the electronic keyboard type, but after talking to an acquaintance of mine who is a lock smith, he told me to go with the dial. He said he has had more calls on the keyboard type then he has with the dial. And for a $500.00 savings for the floor model with the rotary dial help me make my decision! I lost the combination and the receipt during a move out of the house due to a fire. I contacted Cannon and between the manager at Academy and the guy for Cannon I was able to get the combination within one hour. Excellent safes and excellent customer support!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:44:00 AM EDT
got a champion safe on eghey for a good price, my research for fire rating showed right up there with fort knoxx. also i called all the companys to see how ther customer servise was. champion was the only one i could get a live voice that would answer my qustions right away.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:16:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 3:42:19 PM EDT by Master_Blaster]

Originally Posted By sovereign:
A whole bunch of safe info...

Yep, I read that thread extensively. As of this opst, Liberty has the highest rating, which is surprising considering some of the comments therein. I was hoping that Liberty would be good, since I've seen some floor models @ the local funshop for a fair deal, but I'm hesitant upon reading specific comments about QC issues w/ Liberty's automated fabrication.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:52:05 PM EDT
Bump for more input.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:09:40 PM EDT
Fort Knox

look inside the door. Smoothest locking system. doesnt look like billy bob the backyard welder made it
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:20:57 PM EDT
Liberty.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:14:24 PM EDT
The Winchester safes at Wal-Mart for $600 are very nice, and reasonably priced. 12/24 gun and electronic keypad.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:37:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tominator425:

I disagree. As long as the rating is "UL Listed", it should be legit.

Be sure to note the difference between "fire proof" & "fire resistant" & the way the rating is described.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:13:56 PM EDT
tap. Just got my first house, and I'm in the market.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:16:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BobCole:

Originally Posted By Tominator425:

I disagree. As long as the rating is "UL Listed", it should be legit.

Be sure to note the difference between "fire proof" & "fire resistant" & the way the rating is described.

That's fine... I am certainly not speaking from personal experience (as I have not bought my safe yet). Only from reading the TON of threads on gun safes for the past year on this site. I just picked up that several Firefighters, Insurance Salesman and people (with safes) report that in fire that pretty much guts a house, if the fire dont destroy the safe, the water damage will. It seems that if the fire is put out rather quickly, of course, your chances are higher. I just pretty much picked up that I am going to pretty much more concentrate on just a sturdy, heavy bolted-down safe, not concerning myself with all the "fire-protection" hype that the "several thousand dollar" companies want, and concern myself with security moreso than fire protection. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:27:13 PM EDT

brown safe
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:34:53 PM EDT
I have a Browning I have had for at least 10 or 12 years. I like it very much. The combination dial rotates smooth as silk!

It is the average size (about the size of the average refrigerator)... and FULL!

Get one twice as big as you think you need. I wish I would have gotten the bigger model (the size of a BIG side-by-side refigerator).

I just bought a Stack-on ten gun with dial combination for the over flow. It is OK for the price... but the combination lock is no where as nice as my Browning. It will do for now. But someday I need to get another like the Browning.

I do not like the digital type. I don't trust that for the price, the key pads are durable enough to last several years with daily use. I'd hate to have to "can-opener" a small gun cabinet! I also realize a cheap dial combination like I have can also fail mechanically and have the same problem.

Remember... you get what you pay for!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:46:35 PM EDT
My uncle has a Browning safe. I'm partial to the Duo models. I like the fact that I can put a few rifles on the door for quick access.

Personally, I'm not going to buy a big safe until I settle. It's bad enough moving (or paying someone to move) a 500+ lb. safe.

Most places that sell safes will not move the safes by themselves, but have a company that is experienced in moving them.

Always buy a safe a lot larger than you think you'll conceivably use. You'll fill it up fast enough; not to mention if the wife wants to put jewelry, photo albums; or important documents in it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:10:49 PM EDT
For the record, Fort Knox has a Limited Edition NRA Gun Safe.

And I just discovered that John Deere also makes gun safes!

GL
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:55:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WolfFox:
I couldn't decide if I wanted the dial or the electronic keyboard type, but after talking to an acquaintance of mine who is a lock smith, he told me to go with the dial. He said he has had more calls on the keyboard type then he has with the dial.

+1 on the dial. I bought one with an electronic keypad, and had it go out on me. It is no fun being locked out of your own safe.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:06:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 10:08:48 PM EDT by ComputerGuy]
I have a Liberty safe and I'm about to return it in favor of a Champion Safe.

Another thing I have noticed about my Liberty safe is that the combo lock is also not very high quality. You can miss the combination digits by 3 or 4 numbers and it wont matter when opening the safe.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:09:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By wildearp:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=32562

brown safe

Wildearp,

If you don't mind me asking how much was that safe?

Thanks
Max
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:34:23 AM EDT
I'm a little perplexed. The Liberty ranks highest in this poll, & would seem to possess some of the best/most desirable features, but some of the worst comments I've read - bad locks, poor fab quality & fitment - are attributed to the Liberty brand.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:30:14 PM EDT
Bumpity-upity.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:48:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 12:53:04 PM EDT by wildearp]

Originally Posted By maxell27:

brown safe

Wildearp,

If you don't mind me asking how much was that safe?

Thanks
Max

Current pricing is at this link:
brown safe linky

Shown is a 72x56 with a custom depth. These are true burglary UL rated safes, not UL rated RSC boxes RSC=residential storage container. They made the RSC for containers, commonly refered to as safes, that cannot meet any existing burglary rating.

Get an electronic lock. Dials fail too, I had one go bad on a Browning, an S&G lock. I highly recommend buying an empty box and building your own interior. I have done a few and it is super easy.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:03:41 PM EDT
A buddy bought a Homeland Security the Riflr gun safe its is verry nice unit just too small now

www.homelandsafes.com
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:16:21 PM EDT
I have a liberty. I was glad on got it. I will be getting another in 2 years. I think they all are they same as far and construction and rating go. Some are a little nicer, but you get what you pay for. I don't worry about the hinges showing, cause I have locking bolts all around. Just make sure you have locking bolts all around, moderate to good fire protection, and thick metal.

The advantage of a safe is that it is solid, heavy, and fire proof. It's impractical theft is what deters theft. The size of the lugs does not prevent theft because an acetylene torch will cut any safe like butter.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:16:30 PM EDT
For the price (600.00) you cant beat a Cannon, American Eagle at Cabelas. that is if you live close enough to pick one up. I had a S&G dial and now have the keypad. If you have a choice, definitely get the electronic. How may times have you locked your safe and forgot to put something in or out? Pain in the ass if you have to do the dial again.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:41:30 PM EDT
I got a Redhead from Basspro.One thing I can add to this thread.Unless the seller delivers and brings it in .Plan for afew of you'r bud's to help you.Moving Co.s charge by the step $10-$15 each step...I had 2 people,there are like 15 steps up to my house with a 90 about 5 steps up,and it was not fun.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:54:03 PM EDT
A Heritage safe is what I bought and it is a heavy duty one, with S&G locks, and a LIFETIME warranty.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:45:16 AM EDT
Sentry
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:49:08 PM EDT
I shopped around & looked at the fire ratings and features & ended up with a 52 gun Heritage. That was three years ago & its turned out great.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:55:57 PM EDT
I have a Ft Knox "Yeager" it is the best money can buy
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:02:19 AM EDT
Liberty's are very good safes
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:10:46 PM EDT
Most of these safes are made alike.I bought a liberty safe to keep out the local crackheads looking for a quick score.Give a pro safe cracker time,and he'll get into all safes!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:12:47 PM EDT
So how did you get in it?

I have a digital keypad and was wondering the same thing.

FREE

Originally Posted By Frostbite:

Originally Posted By WolfFox:
I couldn't decide if I wanted the dial or the electronic keyboard type, but after talking to an acquaintance of mine who is a lock smith, he told me to go with the dial. He said he has had more calls on the keyboard type then he has with the dial.

+1 on the dial. I bought one with an electronic keypad, and had it go out on me. It is no fun being locked out of your own safe.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:34:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 5:35:20 PM EDT by Boomholzer]

Originally Posted By GunLogic:

And I just discovered that John Deere also makes gun safes!

GL

For what I learned from others here, the JD is a Liberty.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:33:08 PM EDT
Does anyone know anything about Sturdy Safes? http://www.sturdysafe.com/

I'm looking to buy a new safe and they claim to have better fire protection...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:50:25 PM EDT
Another vote for Champion here.

I bought the biggest one they had. Sure glad, because I have outgrown it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:39:11 AM EDT

brown safe

Dang Man! You need some guns!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:04:28 AM EDT
In the last 13 years I have bought two American Security safes. Newer models are a lot nicer than in 1993. Why? Because thirteen years ago buying a gunsafe was unusual compared to racks and cabinets. I like UL listed fire safes and burglar ratings as both of mine are. They were less expensive than auto painted safes. American Security is cheaper than many other companies and is a UL rated box, worth looking at.

www.amsecusa.com/gun-safes.htm

Take time to consider what you want. If you are going to build it into a wall or a room, auto finish paint is a waste of money. Before you buy a 1200 pound safe, can you actually move it? will it fit? do you live in an apartment? Buy it as big as possible and bolt it down.

I know of only one break-in where the safe was defeated. The guy lived in the boondocks and they spent a week in his house. Nobody checked it until it was too late. All safes can be defeated with time. 99.99% of all break-ins are local scumbags looking for stuff to hock for drugs. Having a safe in plain sight and a lot of valuable stuff lying around will inspire them to come back.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:02:27 PM EDT
I'm starting to narrow my focus on Heritage Safes. Most of their models come std w/ ball-bearing hard plate, all-around locking bolts, plus 75' fire protection, at an extremely competitive price. The lifetime warranty is appealing also.

Anyone else have a Heritage?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:43:55 PM EDT
I have a Champion and it's fantastic.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:45:12 PM EDT
My Champion:

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:15:46 AM EDT
I got a Ft. Knox. They are more expensive than most others but they are very well made and they have a lifetime warranty against fire, theft, vandalism and mechanical breakdown (including the lock). The warranty might not seem like a big deal, but considering there is not a lot that can go wrong with them, I can not understand why other companies don't offer it as well.

Seydou
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:11:26 AM EDT
Going down to a Heritage dealer today to take a closer look. After looking into this since I first posted, Heritage looks like the way to go. 4-way locking bolts & ball-bearing hard plate are std. on most of their product lineup, & the prices are really competitive. Lifetime warranty doesn't hurt, either.
Top Top