Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 6:41:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Either bore snake or copper brush everytime after I got shooting.  bore snakes with a few drops of oil really seem to help a whole lot.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Run the OTIS through about 4 or 5 times and call 'er quits.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I only shoot AK's there no need to clean them
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]
So clean the Virgin Ashley Simpson herself would be proud to put a patch through there!  

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on the stick...ARs and AKs recieve the amount of attention one might expect.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:14:03 AM EDT
[#6]
boresnake pulled through 3 times or until clean--whichever is reached second.  add a little of whatever cleaner to the forward end and a little to the tail.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:19:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I run 87 patches thru the barrel!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I clean it till the patch is a s white as it when in the first time.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#9]
i clean about twice a year and wipe off the rust that forms from sitting in the humid weather about once a month
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I run a Boresnake with a little CLP through the bore 3 times on all my semi autos. I take more time and use patches with my PSS.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Till I like what I see down-barrel.  I don't like anything but bare shiny metal.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I use to clean down to bare metal.  Now I just clean the powder fouling out.  I guess if one starts to shoot poorly then I would clean down to bare metal again.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#13]
For a non chrome lined bore, I'll usually do a wet patch, let it soak in for a few minutes, followed by a couple dry patches... then wet patch, brush a few strokes, dry patch until they come out dry.

That usually gets 'em clean.

Or in my black powder cartridge rifle... a patch wet with alchohol, a couple dry patches, nylon brush, dry patches, and it's clean.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I never clean the barrel except on the sniper rifle, the MG's never get a brush threw them. The beltfed eats alot of corrosive ammo (old surplus) and then it will sit till the next shoot. Come time for the next shoot i will look down the barrel and alot of the times the rust is sooo bad you cant  see but a little bit of light threw the other end, after the first shot its all gone and so is the rifling. I clean the internals meticulously, its a passion, i get bored...i clean them, havent touched them in a while...i clean them, you know,   GUN LUV.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:05:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I never clean the barrel except on the sniper rifle, the MG's never get a brush threw them. The beltfed eats alot of corrosive ammo (old surplus) and then it will sit till the next shoot. Come time for the next shoot i will look down the barrel and alot of the times the rust is sooo bad you cant  see but a little bit of light threw the other end, after the first shot its all gone and so is the rifling.     GUN LUV.

Way to take care of your guns!!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Im not worried about the barrels, they are cheap, my guns always run good. So i must be doin something right.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I clean the chamber, and the lugs.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I actually DO clean my rifles, and the barrels/bore.  

But I am no advocate of cleaning until the patch is perfectly clean.  That is not necessary and can wear the bore.  

Cleaning is a good way to inspect and find potentially broken parts, but "military" type cleaning is a waste of time.  

I do the same for all rifles:

Wet patch with Barnes CR-10--let it sit a minute.  Dry patch--it's usually really dirty.  

Then wet brush for 10 strokes or so.  Dry patch.  

Wet patch for a few strokes, let it sit another minute or two--now the real cleaning is happening.  (maybe wet brush again if it's really dirty).  

Dry patch.  Wet patch.  Dry patch, dry patch.  Lightly oiled patch.  Done.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
See poll.  Post anecdotes here!

Just try to keep the pressure down
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I put a solvent patch in first, let it soak for a few minutes, then a few patches until they come out relatively clean and the bore looks shiny, no crud visible. I know there is a little copper in there, but I won't try and get that out unless I haven't in a year or so and am bored or unless I notice it shooting worse.

Though when I get a new milsurp gun I use the brush like mad and a lot of solvent to get rid of whatever was in it prior to me.

Other than that, my brushes rarely get used.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted: I run 87 patches thru the barrel!

That's weird, because I run one patch through the barrel 87 times!!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Depends.  On my hunting rifles, I'll use Sweet's or something similar to clean all the copper out of the barrel...everything else get's a good cleaing after every shoot, but nothing too excessive.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#23]
If they are going into storage for awhile they get cleaned good. If not the occasional boresnake and wipe down.
Of course if I have used corrosive ammo the whole damn gun gets sterilized, greased and oiled before the day is through.
Oh yeah, Ashley Simpson has no talent but she does have a nice set of....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:38:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Ashley Simpson doesn't need any talant.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:02:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I run patches until there's no blue or greenish discoloration on the patch. I also have an Outer's Foul Out system that I use on my bolt guns. There's something about those Nosler Ballistic Tips that streak the hell out of my rifle bores.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#26]
chamber: clp and chamber brush @10 turns.
barrel: wet patch of butch's bore shine 2x (flip and reapply), dry patch 2x, clpd patch.  (run more wet if still showing copper)

pistols and shotguns require scrubbing with a borebrush.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:35:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I use CLP and alternate wet and dry patches till they come out clean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top