Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/30/2006 6:38:13 AM EDT

well, i'll never be able to afford a MG of any sort, but i'm still hell bent on having some sort of PDW-type weapon.

i'm back and forth between a PS90, or one of the 9mm Uzi carbines.

help a brotha' spend some lootcakes. which one and why?

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:49:36 AM EDT
Uzi carbine. It is tough, reliable and well recognized. I like the folding stock and I am looking to get a full stock as well. Mags are relativly easy to find and you will save a lot of money shooting 9mm.

The PS90 is a nice weapon. But for the long haul it will be expensive to shoot as the 5.7 round cost a bit and the mags cost a bunch as well. We do not know how much longer it will be in the market and if it will stay in the market. If you are a fan of Stargate then this is the gun for you. Never shot one but interested in shooting and possibly owning one.

If you want a shooter get an Uzi if you want a collector piece get the PS90.

Max
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:06:45 AM EDT

i was hoping someone with a semi-Uzi would chime in.

i see there are some benefits of the PS90 (better sights, bigger mags, etc.) but the ammo is real expensive. plus, the ammo was originally designed as a replacement for the 9mm since it could penetrate armor, but since we can't have the good stuff we're paying more for just a smaller round now...

but, it does look damn sweet...

anyone have experience with both?

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:07:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 7:50:02 AM EDT by pillbox]
Out of practicality, I would cross the UZI carbine off the list...far better off with a AR15 9mm carbine(or beretta storm) if you need something in a 9mm long arm. I had a model A IMI UZI when they first came out...I had never seen a real UZI in the flesh at the time , and had only read of Isreali daring do involving them. The reality is...it weights as much as a M1 Garand. It is a cinderblock for something so small. It is really too heavy for what it shoots when you take away the full auto capability(like a .22LR chambered FN FAL..the love goes away pretty fast once reality arrives on the scene) If you dont SBR it, it isnt anymore compact than anything else. its 26inches + long
and isnt that cute with close to 10 inches of skinny barrel sticking out the front.
Bad egronomics...that 90 degree pistol grip angle is unnatural and uncomfortable, add the grip safety with a strong spring(that can pinch skin when depressed)
Sights that while are ok on a spray gun, really are crude for a carbine. Short sight radius as well.
Stiff, heavy trigger...long striker fall gives it the lock time of a brown bess musket.(the full auto shoots open bolt with a fixed firing pin)not real accurate at 100yards "minute of torso"...even a Ruger PC9 will shoot rings around it. The full auto was a legend in its time for reliabilty in the desert, and VERY CLOSE RANGE firepower, compactness to be used in vehicles, and was availible in numbers(a important trait its self)....what we got for public consumpsion in the US, sadly isnt that gun anymore....same applies to a semi auto only Belt fed M60.
The PS90 is certainly worth having and there is plenty of information on them(the current issue of shotgun news has a really good story on them)They can shoot 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards! but right now they are hard to get and the price isnt all that reasonable..its akin to buying 2 of something else ...but your pocketbook would be the deciding vote. I have one on order to go with my five seven pistol.

compare the PS90 to the size of a real MINI UZI and Krinkov

and M4, Galil ARM
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:32:11 AM EDT

interesting take. i'm not too keen on 9mm AR's, and i figure if i'm going to be buying Uzi mags, i'd rather have an Uzi to go with it. i do have 2 SBR AR's, but i'm looking for more of a pistol cal PDW-type weapon (which will also go on a form 1, cause those bs 16" barrels need to go...)

i had considered a semi-MP5 clone a while back. maybe i need to start looking back into that...

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:54:31 AM EDT
sounds like you could buy a Rhineland AR57 upper for your SBR registered lower receiver
for cheaper than any of the above choices.(550.00) and it uses the FN 50 shot mag....ejects downward through the AR magazine well
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:21:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 8:24:51 AM EDT by mark5pt56]
I would either get the PS90 or Beretta Storm and SBR it or the Ps90. Say what you like about the UZI, unless it's a real IMI, not a Vector, return twice 2 guns doesn't work the third time, sell it thing. My Storm has yet to burp.

Mark
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:46:41 AM EDT
I still have my IAI Uzi. I have always wanted one when I was younger. Now I have one. I like it and it works for me. I am still thinking about the P90 but the F2000 seems more my speed.

Max
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:08:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 9:09:36 AM EDT by Dawg180]
This is like arguing whether you should get a Chevy or a Porsche...totally different price ranges, features, etc.

If money is no object get the PS90. Gun is expensive, mags are expensive, ammo is expensive, but every guy on the block will be jealous and every chick will want to jump on you because of your sexy new semi SMG.

If you want a cheap, heavy, proven and reliable gun with cheap, reliable mags and cheap, reliable ammo, get the Uzi. If you want a little bling put a folder stock on it. With the 16" barrel it kind of is like a Honda CRX with $2500 rims, but it will get the job done and still has some old chool Miam Vice 'sex appeal' to it. Uzi's do not have ergonomics like anything modern, they are honestly a bit clunky and overwieght. But the gun is dirt simple and will never fail to go bang. And IMHO you can be sure that 9mm ammo will still be avilable long after 5.7 goes the way of the dodo

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:14:04 AM EDT
Full size, 16" Uzi measures 31 1/2" with the stock extended, and 24" folded. It's heavy, but so is a Thompson. Mine is an IMI reciever Vector, and it's as accurate as anything else at 50 yds. PDW kinda useless after 50-75m anyway, due to ammunition limitations
That said I'll be getting something in 5.7, probably the Rhineland Arms upper.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:24:20 PM EDT
How much do you have to spend on ammo?

If you have piles and piles of money for ammo, go with the PS90...

If you don't go with the UZI...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:31:28 AM EDT
The PS90s are really nice. the ammo is a little high in price for some people but im a 50bmg shooter so $.50 per round for the PS90 doesn't bother me. I also own 2 Uzis, they are a lot of fun too.

Top Top