Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2006 4:47:59 PM EDT
Gosh Darn it...

I just got done reading  about the new PS90 in Shotgun News.  $1843.  Holy Shit.   I'm so dang tired of all the cool guns being out of reach for my income.   I know I'm just a teacher, but dang it, why should only rich people be able to afford the neat stuff.

I scrimp and save forever to come up with enough money just to finish an AR project, and it still isn't done...1.5yrs down the line.  I realize I make choices like feeding my kids and taking my wife out on Friday nights instead of spending that much, and I suppose I could go into credit card dept to afford one, but it just doesn't seem right.   I know that some people sell guns(shudder) to buy others, but that just seems retarded.    

I need to live in a cardboard box, get a scooter to push me to work, and eat Spam so I can have something like a new PS90.  

Sheeesh, and that isn't anything that I can really put an honest reason for buying.  A custom 1911, which I would carry every  day in place of my lowly Springfield Champion, is only two PS90s.

I'm telling ya, I should be a drug dealer instead.  That or I'm gonna have to put some serious thought into the Taxidermy artistry during the summer thing......   Ehhhh, so much for my son's having a dad to play with in the summer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm just gonna wait another year. I'm sure by then the market will be flooded & the price will go down to around 12-14 hundred . I hope
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#2]
You sir are in an honorable profession.  Do not knock what you do.  Just cause Jimmy lotsa dough can buy all of the highspeed stuff makes him any better of a man.  I have been into guns a long time and I tell you this, I am still single and I spend  a lot of money on guns.  I have some cool stuff but I have to pay some of the debt I incurred.  You are doing it the right way.  Buy what you can afford and enjoy your family.  

When we all die, all you will have left are your memories and your family.  That is what is more important.

Sorry for my rant.

Max
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#3]
give it time. And the price is certainly not because of how much it takes to make them Its a profit thing. But give it time and it will go down.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, give it some time, used ones will eventually hit the market.  I have loved modern military type firearms since I was 15, I have finally been able to afford to start buying them in the last 5 years.  And hey, 15 was a loooooonnngg time ago.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Not only are guns like the ps90 expensive, the 5.7 ammo for them is nearly a half a buck a pop and availabilty of the ammo is spotty........  I looked at a ps90 at the gun shop last week and was not impressed. I like to shoot (a lot of rounds) and this gun is not for the average income plinker........
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#7]
The days of the cheap-priced "cool guns" are over.

Remember in the late '80s when you could buy almost any "assault rifle" for way less than a grand? Steyr AUG's, all the HK variants, etc.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The days of the cheap-priced "cool guns" are over.

Remember in the late '80s when you could buy almost any "assault rifle" for way less than a grand? Steyr AUG's, all the HK variants, etc.

I was in my late teens then, and 1k, might as well have been 1million.    I kept thinking, when I'm older, I'll be able to afford that.  Ya, right.  

It's not that I don't have a nice collection of firearms.   I shouldn't bitch; and my wife has been very understanding.  Most would probably be envious, but I don't have very many firearms that exceed 1k in value.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:09:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Mosin Nagants are still cheap..............and cool too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Gun world used to advertise hk-91's for $720 with bipod, 2 mags , sling and scope mount.  But that was in the 80's.  Couldn't afford it then.  I incured a lot of dept (credit card), buying the guns I have.  I would whip out the credit card and buy it. Just because it might not be around later.  

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Just gotta redefine cool, or at least concentrate on other kinds of cool. I love my M14 clones, Garands, FAL, AR, etc, but while I'm finishing up school and broke as hell, nowadays I find stuff like Swiss K31s to be rather cool and interesting.Awesome quality and craftsmanship will always be cool, whether you paid $100 or $2000 for it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just gotta redefine cool, or at least concentrate on other kinds of cool. I love my M14 clones, Garands, FAL, AR, etc, but while I'm finishing up school and broke as hell, nowadays I find stuff like Swiss K31s to be rather cool and interesting.Awesome quality and craftsmanship will always be cool, whether you paid $100 or $2000 for it.

I agree with you.  I have collected quite a few C&Rs with my 03FFL, but modern military arms have captured my fancy as of late.     The old stuff  I love, and cherish the histroy of each more than anything, but I still want some modern stuff too.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I know what you mean.

I'm only in my second year of college and have accumulated quite an arsenal for someone that's not even 20 yet, but looking at the horizon, the next rifle I buy might not be an AR.

That means that I can't buy a couple pieces a month and then assemble it later. I have to drop it all at once.

Hence, I'm finally saving for something. An FN SCAR-L something. I just hope they're as cheap as I'm lead on to believe ("cost is similar to a Colt M4").

I'd say, sit back, relax, enjoy the guns you have, and let the "gun fund" build up without giving it too much attention, and be patient. You'll have what you want soon enough

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Is $1843 the actual MSRP!?!?  LE guns are much less.  These should cost the same as LE rifles with an added FET and thats it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Is $1843 the actual MSRP!?!?  LE guns are much less.  These should cost the same as LE rifles with an added FET and thats it.

About $1600 from Impact Guns.
HERE

The FS2000 is a little more. $1900
HERE
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

About $1600 from Impact Guns.
HERE
www.impactguns.com/store/media/fn/FNH_CB_PS90.jpg

The FS2000 is a little more. $1900
HERE
www.impactguns.com/store/media/fn/FNH_CB_FS2000_Right.jpg

Man, I CAN NOT wait to get my grubby mits on the FS2000......that thing is the shit!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#17]
It's all about priorities.

I have an AUG and a Valmet folder.

I don't have 20 C&Rs that are exactly the same except for receiver crests, or 10 different configurations of ARs.

Decide what you really want, then sell stuff you don't need to get it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It's all about priorities.

I have an AUG and a Valmet folder.

You, my friend, have fine taste in weaponry.

I don't have 20 C&Rs that are exactly the same except for receiver crests, or 10 different configurations of ARs.

Decide what you really want, then sell stuff you don't need to get it.

That's exactly what I did.....at one time I had thirteen pre-ban Colts.  Sold or traded all but three in order to satisfy my imported assault rifle addiction.  BTW, I'm diggin the call sign.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:18:45 AM EDT
[#19]
You can do what I do and work o.t. for guns. Of course teachers are salary aren't they? But you are doing the respectable and responsible thing, providing for your family. I don't have kids, the wife has a job, our house is paid for (inherited). If I had kids I would be doing exactly what you do.

One more reason why I buy them now, I won't be drooling so much later in life if we decide to have children.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:41:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Why are all the "cool" guns so dang expensive?  

Because too many people want them, and are willing to pay the asking prices just to get them..
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Because too many people want them, and are willing to pay the asking prices just to get them..

That about sums it up. The same reason Glocks cost $30-35 to make and sell for $600.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That about sums it up. The same reason Glocks cost $30-35 to make and sell for $600.

Not quite.  The materials cost alone cost a lot more than that.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Having a family you love is way cooler than having neato shooting toys.   JMHO.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#24]
If I won the lottery, I'd buy two of everything.

I consider my work and self defense/SHTF guns tools, so I stick w/ the familiarity of ARs and Glocks and have several as spares.  I stay highly trained on one or two platforms, and of coarse a few specialty weapons like a shotgun and long range gun.

Every once and awhile I will buy a "fun gun" like a M1 Garand or Mauser.

No way in hell I can afford a $2000 fun gun.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#25]
You got a Springfield dude,seems you have what most of us have!

And that would be wishing for more,and forgeting to be thankful for what we have!

Just razing you,hang in there,and God bless you the teachers,your need is much more than your rewards will ever be!!

Bob
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Someone posted an old mail order gun news paper add from around 1960.  It had generic guns but it also had some kind of Civilian M14 for sale NIB.  I did the inflation adjustments and in todays dollars it would have been right around 900 to 1000 dollars.

So most "cool guns" have been around a grand.

With the PS 90 you do have a optic included.  While you can complain or compare quality, a AR with a Aimpoint of EOtech usually runs ~13-1400.

Its simply a matter of scale.  During the 80's or any other release of surplus military guns, prices are cheap.  There is no military buing millions of P90's, thus costs are high to recoup the investment made on the product.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top