Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/26/2006 7:41:23 AM EDT
Could a stock set such as this:

www.ironwooddesigns.com/AK%20pics/AKWAL2.JPG

Be stained in a black shade? Not just solid black but somehow where the grain would show up? Anyone have a pic or done something along the lines of my crazy idea?

R
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:46:33 AM EDT
Have the same walnut Ironwood kit on my AK, unfortunately being a wood lover I simply used about 20 coats of tung-oil on mine, (sanding between each coat).

It's beauty.

Mike

ps - sorry can't help ya ruin that potential wood art.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:16:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:05:02 AM EDT
Check out the ebony stain from Minwax at Lowes, that might be what you are looking for. If not they can custom match a stain off of a black paint chip, you would still be able to see the grain as long as you prepped it right, then follow up with a clear polyurethane in a matte or satin. I think it would look pretty good. I made a custom mix of neon blue stain just to see what it would look like on a piece of furniture and it turned out pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:45:29 PM EDT
Go to a paint store and ask for a black dye stain, or go online and google dye stain. Dye stains are easy to use and available in colors other than wood tone. Varnish as normal.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:09:06 PM EDT
I've used Minwax Ebony and black leather dye with good results...

www.minwax.com/products/woodstain/woodfinish-color.cfm
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:39:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2006 3:40:47 PM EDT by RobDog]
Ok I'll look into the dyes. If the grain was just visible up close I would be stoked about that. I just wanted to do something different but not plastic.

What would "show up" better a laminated stock or the walnut?

www.ironwooddesigns.com/2aprod/1zAKproduct.html

Is it just a matter of sanding the wood smooth, dyeing it, then using a clear over that??

Homer Formby I'm not!

Top Top