Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/24/2006 8:23:50 PM EDT
With the closing of Winchester announced, I decided it was high time for me to buy that Model 94 while I still can. However, since there is no gun shop anywhere near me that has any new 94's in stock, and everything on GunBroker is kinda high-priced, I figured I'd try my luck with a used model 94. I need the "hive mind" 's (I hate that phrase) guidance to help me know what to look for, though, since I know so little about them.

- I remember reading something about there being a period in time a number of years ago that saw some relatively crappy quality guns being put out by Winchester. Is there any way I can tell (perhaps from the serial number) if any given 94 is from this era?

- Which is most indicative of higher quality (or, alternatively, which is generally most sought after): tang safety, hammer block safety, or no safety at all?

- Is there anything in particular I should be especially careful to look out for when inspecting used 94's?

Thank you all very much.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:46:53 AM EDT
Pre 1964 guns are your collectors items. There is a site that tells you what serial numbers are pre 64 and what are post 64 but i cannot remember what site it is.

My post 64 win. 94 looked like the bluing cracked. After talking to a gunsmith they said it was because they started to cast and plate them with nickle(someone correct me if im wrong).

They said if i wanted to reblue it that it would turn out a reddish, purple color.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:15:28 AM EDT
I'm not sure if this is tied to the pre-64 business or not but I like the ones that have the rounding on the bottom of the receiver. Later ones are square while the earlier ones have about a 3/16 inch chamfer where the receiver sides meet the bottom. looks much better and smooths the area you hold the rifle when you carry it.

Kent
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:39:45 PM EDT
I was at a local gun shop today and the owner said the Winchesters have been flying
out the door. Even M94s in 30/30 are getting attention since the news that Winchester
is closing.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:05:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 6:07:20 PM EDT by CIB]
Well actually there are 3 different classes of 94's.
1. Pre-1964 guns
2. Guns produced by Winchester Repeating Arms 64-I think 81? not sure on date.
3. Guns produced by USRAC
The USRAC guns did have a run a number of years back that did not take the bluing well (sintered metal), and refinish with bluing is even worse.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:15:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 6:29:19 PM EDT by XM-15]
I believe if the serial number is lower then 2586000, it's pre 64.

I asked about mine over at Gunboards-Lever action forum

ETA: Here is a site for serial # dating.

armscollectors.com/sn/winlookup.php?file=win1894.dat
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:51:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By OBird:
- Which is most indicative of higher quality (or, alternatively, which is generally most sought after): tang safety, hammer block safety, or no safety at all?
Thank you all very much.

I have a pre-1964 Winchester 94 (made in 1955) with no safety. The type of safety is a general clue to the era in which it is made.

It's a little misleading to say 'no safety,' b/c even the pre-64s have a resting-hammer (half-cocked) position, but I know what you mean. My pre-64 is very stout and well-balanced, shoots very well. You can tell it was well taken care of and used but not abused. I wrote a little about it in the other thread that's going here about 94s. If you are looking for a gun to increase in value, there are lots of what I'd call 'art guns' out there in the Win 94 category, special editions, commemoratives and such. For shootin' I still prefer the pre-64, but my experience with the new evolutions is limited. Good luck!

-F7
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:49:42 AM EDT
Dont overlook the marts when trying to buy a win 94.I have stopped by a few walmarts,have two on layaway,also scored one at kmart yesterday,and they may have another on the way next wed.I had forgot kmart even sells guns anymore,I went in to get a prescription filled and wandered back to the sporting goods section
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:22:58 PM EDT
Thank you everybody for the replies, it helped. I was able to determine that the used 94's I found were all produced after '64, so I went to Gander Mountain tonight and found the last remaining Winchester 94 ranger that they had (or will ever have, probably). Used to have basically an entire aisle full of them, now they're gone. All the other WalMarts/other gun stores in the area were pretty much completely sold out, I feel lucky that I got what I did (very happy with it).

Thanks again,
OBird
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:25:45 AM EDT

junky pic of my 75ish 94 in 30 -30

wish i had the flow to buy up another 1-2.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:53:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By protus:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/protus/P1010027.jpg

That's some fancy wood. Is it aftermarket? I am picking up a 94 in .45 Colt in a week, and its wood looks like it's made of painted 2x4.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:52:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Javak:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/protus/P1010027.jpg

That's some fancy wood. Is it aftermarket? I am picking up a 94 in .45 Colt in a week, and its wood looks like it's made of painted 2x4.

nope its what the rifle came with. after several years of me hunting withit,, it had a few lil scratchs and such all i did was clean it and oil . ive been told that the wood may be worth more than the rifle lol... but oh well its a great shooter super accurate and my favorite bush gun!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:35:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 5:37:27 PM EDT by guns762]
I sold a pre-64 94 in .30-30 a few years back after I redid the wood, and fixed it up a bit. I doubled my money, but I'm ashamed to say how much I sold it for.

I just didn't see the need to keep it. My dad has a nice collection that I will someday be mine. He gave me this one when I was 12. My brother has the twin to it. He gave them to us the day he moved out of our house. I've never shot it, but I did buy ammo for it; I just can't push myself to shoot it.

Win 94 Oliver F. Winchester Comm. .38-55win

Good luck to all of us who now want a/another Win 94. Damn shame.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:37:42 PM EDT
It is amazing that when you tell Americans they can't have something how high the demand
can be. All shops are stripped clean of Winchesters when a few weeks ago there were always
an overflow of 30/30 M94s in each store.

My suggestion is, if you really want one, to wait a year when everyone who bought
Winchesters "because they won't make anymore" will be sitting on these guns and they
will be sold to make room for other new toys.

There will always be some for sale.
Its not exactly like we are dealing with a rare gun here at well over one million copies.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:06:49 PM EDT
i guess the days of 150$ after huntig season 30-30's is over
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:47:11 PM EDT
Yep I bought an old beater for 100.00 out the door,the blue was worn off the reciever!!!

It was made in 1974(a bad year for steel and QC)!

I couldn't get cold blue to even more than darken the metal!!

But good news it was a Win Mod 94,and shot just great!!!! I put a 50 cal Hawkins cresent brass butt plate(to tame down that kicking SOB)and it worked!!!!

My mod 94 in .375Win kicks less than that 30/30 carbine ever did!!!

Look around and you can find one(without that damned cross bolt safety)pretty cheap(unless it is a pre-64)!

Bob
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:55:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 12:56:03 PM EDT by OBird]
Another stupid question: it can't find anything in the manual or the Winchester website that says how many rounds this thing holds.

20" barrel, .30-30. Anybody know what the maximum # of rounds I can put in the tube is? I haven't had a chance to take it for a spin yet, and even if I had I wouldn't want to blindly overload the tube if that's even possible. I'm guessing it's either 6 or 7 in the tube.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:30:24 PM EDT

Another stupid question: it can't find anything in the manual or the Winchester website that says how many rounds this thing holds.

20" barrel, .30-30. Anybody know what the maximum # of rounds I can put in the tube is? I haven't had a chance to take it for a spin yet, and even if I had I wouldn't want to blindly overload the tube if that's even possible. I'm guessing it's either 6 or 7 in the tube.

Thanks again.

when its full you cant add anymore,,, cycle a round,, add another so i think its 7 total or 6,, been awhile sinc ei went with afull tube.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:10:24 PM EDT

Thanks again.

when its full you cant add anymore,,, cycle a round,, add another so i think its 7 total or 6,, been awhile sinc ei went with afull tube.

That's what I wasn't sure about. It must be seven in the tube, then. I was just worried 'cause if I lined up seven rounds nose-to-primer on the floor next to the tube, it looked like the spring would be pretty compressed. But it works I guess.

Thanks
Top Top