Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 8:19:58 PM EDT
I installed a ff 4 rail handguard and everything went fine (well, eventually0 and then i put back the bolt carrier and noticed the key was clicking the gas tube- the gas tube was slightly off center. i thought about what this would mean to the tube and the carrier everytime it cycled. Anyway, i disassembled and played with it till it was as straight and centered as possible and until the gastube touched the key as little as possible upon entering it.

My question is this....

Is there a better way to do this besides eyeing it or carefully fiddling with it till
                                   everything seems kosher?        

Thank you in advance.                                          
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#1]
no one?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the exact same problem.  the way i did it was i used a screwdriver to adjust it side to side while watching the tube in the space between the front of the receiver and the hg until i got the side to side motion eliminated when i cycled the bolt, then i used a piece of string hooked around the tube and wrapped around the shaft of a big screwdriver and did the same for thte up and down.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#4]
kurt, twl, thank you.

When i noticed the prob, i took off the FSB and gas tube and ever so slightly bent it to fit.
But i still have yet to take it to the range.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The gas tube should freefloat (when no bolt carrier is present) with the only contact with the rifle being the FSB. I just adjust my barrel nut to where it does not touch the gas tube. Are you sure that your gas tube isn't being deflected to one side by the barrel nut?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:52:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The gas tube should freefloat (when no bolt carrier is present) with the only contact with the rifle being the FSB. I just adjust my barrel nut to where it does not touch the gas tube. Are you sure that your gas tube isn't being deflected to one side by the barrel nut?

Thanks for the info about the free float necessity. I gotta check it all out this wednesday.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Also grip the FSB and hold your reciever ,does it wiggle?

Your barrel nut may not be tightned enough!!And the spokes on the nut touching the tube!!

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top