Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2006 10:43:52 PM EDT
I've been considering sending my Marlin Guide Gun t one of these two places to have it done up right.

The Yobo consist of:

* Shorten and recrown barrel at 16.5"
   * Custom LPA ghostring sight installation with winged post front sight
   * Barrel mounted Picatinny rail
   * Enlarged lever loop
   * Smooth all ports, inside and out
   * Modify loading gate for easier loading/unloading/downloading
   * Extensive action smoothing
   * Trigger job
   * Bobbed hammer
   * Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad
   * Leather butt cuff ammunition carrier
   * Complete action dehorning
   * Satin matte metal prep and blueing

All for about $1500.00 I also like their sidesling mount (not shown).

A pic:

The WWG consist of:

Barrel length 18.5 inches
Recoil Control Porting System
Straight style Wood Stock Cut to Your Length of Pull
Pachmayr Decelerator pad
Action tuned for reliability
WWG Trigger Happy Kit installed and set at approx. 3lbs
Safety Vented Magazine Tube
WWG Ghost Ring Rear Sight
Williams Fire Sight in red with skeletonized hood
Mil-Spec Parkerized finish or Bead Blasted Stainless
Test Fired
AND its rechambered to .457 Wild West Mag which will still chamber .45-70

Retail price here is $1320.00

I can't find a decent pic of a WWG Guide Gun.

My problem is I kinda like the Yobo package better if only I could get it chambered in .457 WW Mag.

What do you all think?

I know Yobo posts here on ARFCOM but don't know his/her screenname.

Thoughts?

Price difference doesn't matter much to me but it seems like you get much more bang for your buck with WWG. However, I've heard they are assholes to deal with.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#1]
have yost do it  AND POST PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if i was going with a wild west gun i would get one of there wrist breakers

like this one

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:19:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Wild West Guns started this craz and produce the best in the line. I got the WWG sight, actionand trigger job and theghost ring sights.  There is no better on the marked.  Everyone else is simply the imitator.  WWG's will make or do anything that you can believe just call them.

PS here in ALaska we really do have big bears to include those funky white ones andthe .457 mag is he way to go.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a fellow in DFW area that does some work on levers too.  I think his name was Dave? DRC or something like that was the company.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#4]
David R. Clay, Arlington Texas.  The website was listed as www.drccustomgunsights.com but doesn't seem to be working now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have to say the quality of the parts and craftsmanship will probably be a LOT higher on the Big Lewie.  For one thing, you can get an actual tritium front sight, as opposed to a fiber optic.  The devil is in the details.

If you do go with YoBo, the rifle will be built by Lew Bonitz or Tim Cronin.  Both are VERY good at what they do, and dedicated as well.

Full Disclosure:  I REALLY like Yost-Bonitz, and the whole crew at the shop.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Yost-Bonitz's man on the 'Net is Jason Burton. He is the 1911 forum moderator and a friend of mine.

I would choose YoBo if I wanted an upgraded rifle, and WWG if I wanted a takedown rifle. I had the pleasure of disassembling and reassembling Col. Jeff Coopers WWG takedown rifle, and it is a marvelous system.

ETA: Yost-Bonitz has the tooling to cut chambers in over 200 calibers. If they don't have the reamer for .457 I am sure that they can get one. Unless WWG owns the rights to the chambering.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#7]
What about sending it to WWG and having them do the .457 WWM conversion and then having them send the rifle to Yobo? Think they'd take offense to that?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What about sending it to WWG and having them do the .457 WWM conversion and then having them send the rifle to Yobo? Think they'd take offense to that?

Nah, surely not Back when I was stationed in Anchorage, I used WWG for a few small jobs. Nice work, but they have a definite holier than thou, my shit don't stink attitude. And  I met a few people besides me that didn't care for dealing with them either.

An example that I'll use:  I picked up a Rem 700LSS at the Elmendorf PX, and wanted a better trigger.So I take it on to WWG and have a Timney unit put in it. I ask what weight they set it at, and the counter guy says "Three and a half pounds, what they come at, and we won't take them any lighter." Wouldn't even discuss adjusting to three pounds. So later I go pick up the rifle, get the rifle, ask if any papers or anything come with the trigger. Cuz I'm thinking, usually you buy something like that, the maker sends assorted crap with it .Guy says "Yeah, it comes with a paper that says Don't fuck with it." Even acted like it was odd that I wanted my old trigger group back as well. I actually didn't mind the attitude so much, since I'm also a card carrying asshole, but would have liked them to actually do what I, the customer wanted, especially when I didn't think my request was unreasonable.They can talk all the asshole crap they want as long as they do what I'm willing to pay them to do. Oh well.

So I suppose that's a long way of saying that if you were to ask WWG to rechamber a gun then send it to a competitor for more work, you might  just be told to "Go fu#$ yourself."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top