Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/20/2006 6:53:29 AM EDT
Has anyone any sources for ballistics of 9x19 out of longer barrels, such as 16"? Or, has someone with the equipment done any tests?

There is a lot of discussion about having a 9mm carbine/rifle to match a sidearm. My question is if, because of standard powder formulations, there is sufficient acceleration beyond a 4" or 5" barrel to improve the performance and make a carbine useful. It doesn't do a lot of good if the round only gets another 100 fps, for example. Might as well stick with a long pistol.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:10:40 AM EDT
You can ask that question in the pistolcal&rimfire forum. I don't think you'll have a great deal of increase in velocity maybe 100-150fps. There was a test done by a couple of guys who tested 9mm pistols and 3 9mm carbines. I don't have the link any longer. Maybe someone will come along with the link. Anyway my experience with 2 9mm carbines has been they are accurate. I use mine as range guns shot at indoor ranges.

I'm not into interchangeablility between handgun and rifle. If the SHTF I'm grabbing my 5.56AR or M1A.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:11:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2006 11:11:34 AM EDT by triburst1]

Originally Posted By rjroberts:
Has anyone any sources for ballistics of 9x19 out of longer barrels, such as 16"? Or, has someone with the equipment done any tests?

There is a lot of discussion about having a 9mm carbine/rifle to match a sidearm. My question is if, because of standard powder formulations, there is sufficient acceleration beyond a 4" or 5" barrel to improve the performance and make a carbine useful. It doesn't do a lot of good if the round only gets another 100 fps, for example. Might as well stick with a long pistol.

I have a Kel-Tec Sub2000 as a mate for my GLOCK 19. There is a pretty big boost in velocity from the 16" barrel. I had a link with lots of good info, but the site seems to be gone.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:40:55 PM EDT
go to the keltec website and download the instruction manual for the sub2000, at the end of the pdf there's a couple pages about 9mm ballistics out of a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:08:46 PM EDT
Thanks for the info. and advice: it's helpful. And, especially fossil. The Kel Tec information was exactly what I needed. I'm slapping myself in the forehead for not thinking of it. I had a Kel Tec pistol and was aware of the site, just didn't make the connection to the pistol caliber carbine. Anyway, a useful chart in the book.
Top Top