Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/18/2006 5:05:25 AM EDT
Not entirely sure where to ask this question, but it's pretty general in nature...

Theres a thread about some ammo failures in a Glock and the poster said the following:

Originally Posted By JFP:
Today I go to Alpine and load up a mag full of Wolf and shoot it no prob. I then open up a "new" box of S&B and attempt to shoot another dozen rds at which time it Kabooms again. The range officer comes over and decides to look at my "new" box of ammo and low and behold I have unknowingly purchased reloads packaged as new.
sorry 'bout the incomplete info...

Now I deal with a guy who reloads. I've only learned a little bit on the subject, (my firearms are all chambered for available, affordable ammo) so I'd like to pose a question to you guys who may have more experience.

My dealer tells me his reloads are precision oriented, to spec, everything measured etc... which is how it's supposed to be I'm sure. But he also notes that, it takes a good amount of time to make 50 reloads. Now I expect that to mean, reloads are going to cost a little more than old milsurp.

What I'm wondering is, why would anybody, unscrupulous as they may be, spend the time making reloads... only to pack 50 rounds of 9mm in a cheap S&B box, and sell for cheap?
I don't see this as a worthwhile scam.
What is your time worth? Brass, primers, powder, etc... material cost + time = more than the commercial stuff sells for, in my estimation. So.. does the quoted RO know nothing and make it up as he goes along? Or is this really something we could encounter out there?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:51:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2006 8:03:47 AM EDT by Ralph]
Reloading is cheaper...I do alot of loading for.45acp...It's costing me about $4.00 a box of 50 in a good progressive press (I've got a Dillon 550) I can load that box of fifty in about 5 minutes..So, Yes it's worth it. Even more so when you get into calibers that are not commonly found at the gunshop, like 6.5x55, 7.5x55 swiss etc. Loading your own offers you the chance to talior your loads to your guns, you get higher quality ammo, more accurate ammo at a much lower price. As a example, I picked up a box of 9mm bullets at the CMP's north store while oogleing some M1's, the box has 760 115gr FMJ's for $30.00 I already had the brass, powder, primers at home this comes out to about 2.5 cents apeice for the bullets or about $1.25 for a box of 50, add the cost of powder, primers, brass is already paid for since it's already been loaded at least once, and my cost for a box of accurate 9mm is around $3.00 That's a hard price to beat... powder, figure 7000gr to a lb, divide that 7000 by the load you want to use, let's say 4.0gr this comes out to 1750..that's 1750rnds per lb of powder at 4.0 gr to a case... As you can see if one shops around you can load you own for a much lower price than store bought ammo, and if you know what you're doing,(that's a real biggie) the quality of the ammo you produce will be much higher. I used a single stage press for 19 years before going to a progressive, those DO take alot longer to produce ammo in any quanity, on abour 50 rnds an hr. By going to a progressive press, I can now make about 300rnds an hr.You can get real anal about this as some people do, weighing every case, weighing out every charge,weighing every bullet, mostly your serious target shooters will do this, for plinking ammo it's not nessessary. As a rule of thumb, I never buy anybody's reloads..the reason being you never know for sure how well these were made or if the preson loading them really knows what he's doing.. If you're thinking of getting into reloading I'd read a couple of loading manuals first before, I bought anything.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:01:23 AM EDT
It's no scam. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. S&B has a reputation for blowing up guns.

Top Top