Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 5:58:17 PM EDT
Just recieved this from a family member:  

Closeup of the model markings:

The thing looks nearly immaculate, hardly shot, with only one flaw.  My mom bought it years ago and decided she needed something with a shorter barrel, so she gave it to me.

Google isn't any help with information on these pistols, other than they were made late 60s/early 70s.  Anyone know anything else about them, and especially current retail?  

Also, here's the flaw:

Two small areas of rust, one right on the edge of the barrel and the other about 1/4" back.  My question:  how to remove this rust without removing that beautiful deep Colt bluing?

Any help appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to the hardware store and buy some 0000 (four-ought) steel wool. Saturate a pad of steel wool with good quality gun oil and lightly rub the end of the barrel. The operative word is lightly. Rust is softer than steel wool and steel wool is softer than the blued barrel. The oil acts as a lubricant. Stop once the bright orange rust is gone. Wipe with a clean cloth and lightly re-oil the guns exterior to prevent recurrence of rust. Always wipe down with an oiled cloth after handling because the moisture/sweat from fingerprints will cause rust too.

Also, never store a gun in anything that attracts moisture. Leather (including holsters), cotton, wool, paper, cardboard and lots of other things attract moisture.

Official Police is a great revolver. I cherish mine in 32-20. Be careful not to flip the cylinder in and out like was done in the movies. It can bend the ejector rod or yoke.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:58:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Go to the hardware store and buy some 0000 (four-ought) steel wool. Saturate a pad of steel wool with good quality gun oil and lightly rub the end of the barrel. The operative word is lightly. Rust is softer than steel wool and steel wool is softer than the blued barrel. The oil acts as a lubricant. Stop once the bright orange rust is gone. Wipe with a clean cloth and lightly re-oil the guns exterior to prevent recurrence of rust. Always wipe down with an oiled cloth after handling because the moisture/sweat from fingerprints will cause rust too.

Also, never store a gun in anything that attracts moisture. Leather (including holsters), cotton, wool, paper, cardboard and lots of other things attract moisture.

Official Police is a great revolver. I cherish mine in 32-20. Be careful not to flip the cylinder in and out like was done in the movies. It can bend the ejector rod or yoke.

Thanks for the restoration info--my mom had stored this thing in a pistol rug for years; I'm surprised it ONLY has this much rust.  Already yelled at her about that!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top