User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/7/2006 11:04:29 AM EDT
Considering picking up a Storm in 9mm or maybe an upper in 9mm for my lower
I'd like some feedback on the Storm
One member here said it was like a toy compared to the OLY 9mm upper
Any opinions ?

( I've handled the Storm at a Local gunshop but never fired it )
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Go with the Colt 6450
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I was considering an Oly or RRA upper
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#3]
do both!

eta: it's also featured weekly on BSG!
Pretty damn accurate too!
My space gun
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Aw geez you guys are no help                    
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Aw geez you guys are no help                    

LOL

I want to know also.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I had one in 9mm when they first came out.  It was very fun to shoot, and pretty much a tack driver.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Definitley get both, you wont regret it. I LOVE my Storm 9mm, its is really acurute, and just fun as hell to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#8]
9mm AR

Max
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I havent picked up a 9mm AR yet but my little toy has been a sweet shooter.  http://xs62.xs.to/pics/06010/Storm2.jpg
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:11:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I got to handle a storm just the other day and it was one of the lightest handiest rifles I have ever held. But I couldn't help but think why go with a 9mm when you can get the same advantages with a lot more power with a .223 AR or even a .30 cal. M1 carbine?
But it was a neat little gun and built much better than I expected.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I would go with the AR 9mm

more mag cap. available  32rd vers 20rd

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#13]
9MM AR.

The only drawback is it's dirty as hell.

But it can be bumpfired REALLY easily.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Can the barrel(since it's an import)  be threaded legally?   I'm also trying to decide about this or a 9mm AR.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
9MM AR.

The only drawback is it's dirty as hell.

But it can be bumpfired REALLY easily.

Shouldn't be any dirtier than a pistol/Storm, etc. shooting 9mm. There's no gas system in a 9mm AR. It's delayed blowback.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Are there 30+ round 9mm Beretta mags? Ones that would work in both the pistol and the carbine?

Don't forget the the Oly K9GL... actually, IMHO, a better comparison to the Storm since they both use pistol mags. Buy a Storm and use your Beretta pistol mags. Buy a K9GL and use it with your Glock and its mags.

I love this concept...

I'd rather have the K9GL (and plan on buying it one of these days) mainly because it's based on the AR platform and therefore has all of the same wonderful options of customization. The Storm isn't much for customization.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, the purpose of a 9mm carbine would be fun, low recoil, and low cost of ammo.  I've considered getting something in 9mm for those reasons.  I use a 9mm pistol (CZ) for IDPA and as a side for carbine matches (when I get off my duff and go to 'em!).

If you decide to go with a 9mm upper for your existing AR, you have to consider:  Find an upper you like.  Then you need a mag block.  The good ones run what, $200 or so?  You could easily be out $500, 600, or more!  You may also have to swap parts like the hammer and buffer to get it to run right.   The good part is, you're familiar with the ergonomics of the rifle.

The Beretta goes for what, just a little over $500 (some places charge more, but I've seen 'em locally for $529 new).  It's a handy little gun, has good ergonomics (from what I read... I think I've held one, and liked it), and can take 15 rd (read: milsurp!) mags for your plinking enjoyment, and there are several 20rounders that work well.  I'd give up 10 rounds for a fast handling, light, quick pointing, accurate little carbine.   My uses would be fun, and carbine matches.  All I need to do there is put holes in cardboard.  9mm does it just fine!  

So maybe later this year, I'll look into finding a Storm.  It should be a fun little rifle for what I want.  Heck, with some good defensive loads, it would still make a great home defense weapon.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Can the barrel(since it's an import)  be threaded legally?   I'm also trying to decide about this or a 9mm AR.

no problems on threading the Storm
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to elaborate on that in here. Seems to be pretty unclear at this point.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I went through the same dilema and decided on the 9mm AR15.  The Oly Arms I built works flawlessly and is very accurate.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#21]
There are 30 rounders for the Storm. I picked up some promags for $18 to try out and they have run as well as the factory mags that I have.  http://xs63.xs.to/pics/06021/Storm3.jpg
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
There are 30 rounders for the Storm. I picked up some promags for $18 to try out and they have run as well as the factory mags that I have.  

xs63.xs.to/pics/06021/Storm3.jpg

Are the 30 rounders for the Storm, or will they work in Beretta pistols as well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Mudbug, now that's a wicked lookin AR...  That's what I'd want mine to end up like if I were to go with a 9mm upper...

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Mudbug, now that's a wicked lookin AR...  That's what I'd want mine to end up like if I were to go with a 9mm upper...

With the barrel that short is it much more accurate than a regular 9mm pistol? Or is the accuracy gain in the stability of handguards and a buttstock?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to elaborate on that in here. Seems to be pretty unclear at this point.

I haven't heard on any problems on the folks I've spoken to on this board. Never saw that tread though till now
ETA: even threading it for a flash supressor? ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=424309
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With the barrel that short is it much more accurate than a regular 9mm pistol? Or is the accuracy gain in the stability of handguards and a buttstock?

I had very little problem hitting a Larue sniper target at 100 yards after I figured my hold over.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There are 30 rounders for the Storm. I picked up some promags for $18 to try out and they have run as well as the factory mags that I have.  href=xs63.xs.to/pics/06021/Storm3.jpg

Are the 30 rounders for the Storm, or will they work in Beretta pistols as well.

The Storm and 92 mags are the same unless you get the Storm that takes the Cougar mags.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd get the .45 Storm over the 9mm unless all you want it for is just plinking. Personally I wouldn't use the 9mm for anything but plinking, not enough power to eliminate any threat 'cept a pit bull....maybe....
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'd get the .45 Storm over the 9mm unless all you want it for is just plinking. Personally I wouldn't use the 9mm for anything but plinking, not enough power to eliminate any threat 'cept a pit bull....maybe....

Yeah, sure.

Police forces and SWAT units around the world disagree with you.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, sure.

Police forces and SWAT units around the world disagree with you.

www.military-page.de/waffen/hk/mp5/bild_mp5a4_06.jpg

That selector would appear to be on burst, us lowly civilians dont get to have that option.   If it's one at a time always go big
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Jesus Christ, another 45 vs. 9mm war.

Modern 9mm performence is very close to .45 acp.

Relevent Info

As always, shot placement is the key.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Relevent Info

If you believe it's equal then by all means carry it.   Go shoot some animals sometime and see if you still think it is.   ( until 1992 I carried a 9mm)
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Relevent Info

If you believe it's equal then by all means carry it.   Go shoot some animals sometime and see if you still think it is.   ( until 1992 I carried a 9mm)

I said very close, not equal, and it's not my opinion, the facts show that expansion and penetration is very close when using modern ammo.

BTW, I carried a 1911 and worshiped at the .45 alter until a year ago. I now realize that there has never been a fatal "Winging" with a 45.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#35]
You only have to justify what you carry to yourself, if you're happy with it then by all means carry it.  

Back to the original discussion, with threading being questionable on the storm I think I'd have to lean towards the AR.      It's just gotta be suppressed   The 9mm MP5SD I shot last week was scarey quiet  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Considering picking up a Storm in 9mm or maybe an upper in 9mm for my lower
I'd like some feedback on the Storm
One member here said it was like a toy compared to the OLY 9mm upper
Any opinions ?

( I've handled the Storm at a Local gunshop but never fired it )

Read my Range report on the CX4 that I just input. Bags

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=192695
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Are there 30+ round 9mm Beretta mags? Ones that would work in both the pistol and the carbine?

I got some from "Cheaper than Dirt" and they actually hold 35 rounds. Cost 16.97 in April 2004. Just used them today with 100% reliability. Bags
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Relevent Info

The way I see it is an average sized person can handle a .45 ACP platform with not much if any problem so why not use it? Yes there is more recoil than a 9mm and yes a 9mm mag capacity is significantly higher but the overall knockdown power of the 45 is leaps and bounds better than a 9mm. I wouldn't want to experience being hit by either 9mm or .45 but the fact is and still remains that you have to put more rounds in a person to incapacitate them with a 9mm vs a .45 especially if they are on drugs.

If you have already standardized to a particular caliber then stick with it whether it be 9mm, 10mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, or 45 GAP.

Heck, if a 12ga pistol w/ buck shot or slugs was controlable and as practical as a 12ga with a defense barrel I would pack that any day over a 45 but its neither so I use what I feel comfortable with.
Each to his own. I'm just stating what I prefer and what works for me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I think the pissing contest of .45 vs 9mm is just that... a pissing contest.  

Back in WWII, yeah, there really wasn't a doubt, the .45 hit harder and was more effective.  Even today, comparing ball to ball, it's just about the same!  

However, 9mm defensive loads have come a long way.   Having 15+ rounds of some nice defensive 9mm compared to 8 rounds of .45 defensive loads... I think, barring grizzlies or perps hyped up on all kinds of drugs... the end result will be the same:  The badguy will either wet his pants and flee without being shot, or he'll end up with one or more holes that weren't there before.  

I don't know about you, but I'd rather not be shot with ANYTHING!  

This is a discussion about a couple different carbines.  Some people think they're useless and would rather sling around a .223, or 7.62, and that's all fine and dandy.  

The purpose of a carbine, to me, is that it is easier to shoot a rifle than a pistol.  More accuracy = more effective.  As a defensive weapon, that accuracy increase makes you much more effective.   It's also light and compact, making it more comfortable to smaller people.   It doesn't matter how big the hole is that your gun makes if you can't use it comfortably!   Or if your wife can't use it either!  

Personally, I think a nice MP5 clone would be great, but of the few that are made that are worth a darn, they're pretty dang expensive.  With a 16" barrel and the magazine/chamber in front of the grip, it ends up losing some 'tactical appeal'.  The CX4 is available for quite a bit less, and is easy to 'trick out'.  Magazines are readily available.  

Yeah, if one gets a CX4 for home defense, there are things that will be 'better', but the CX4 is better than nothing.  Heck, it's a lot better than nothing.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:03:39 AM EDT
[#40]
I agree with 'Matthew_Q" above. And if you look at the reliability of the CX4 and the accuracy of it from 10 to 100 yds, you can't really ask for much more. Plus it has factory 20 round mags and after market 30 or 35 round mags. Check out my range report on it. Bags

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=192695
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#41]
while i was at english range, i tried to hit the 300yd swinger, but i couldn't "quite" get the 9mm out that far. but anything under that was as good as hit. as far as accessories are concerned...
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f249/civstu/4ba654fd.jpg
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#42]
what do you have on the muzzle?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
what do you have on the muzzle?

it's the Beretta barrel shroud
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
while i was at english range, i tried to hit the 300yd swinger, but i couldn't "quite" get the 9mm out that far. but anything under that was as good as hit. as far as accessories are concerned...
i48.photobucket.com/albums/f249/civstu/4ba654fd.jpg

bipod on a storm?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

bipod on a storm?

Some people put bipods on everything?

Personally I think a bipod on the rail as a VFG is more retarded than a bipod on a storm...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

bipod on a storm?

Some people put bipods on everything?

Personally I think a bipod on the rail as a VFG is more retarded than a bipod on a storm... hinking.gif

can't please everyone...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#47]
I rented and shot a storm today from the local gun range.  At 25 yards it was a tack driver.  Every single round went exactly where I wanted it to go.  Felt good in my hands but the little thwack I felt on the cheek every time I shot got pretty annoying after a while.  But it was fun to shoot and accurate as hell.  Loved it and am considering buying one.  I love my AR but I hate to clean the thing.  That is why I tend to shoot my 10/22 more often, plus $8.00 for 500 rounds helps.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
but the little thwack I felt on the cheek every time I shot got pretty annoying after a while.

Is that from the internal "action"? I can't imagine recoil from a 9mm being any worse than an AR in .223...

Do you shoot AR's and if so is there anything you find annoying shooting one of those?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Can we see a pic of a storm with a 30 round mag inserted.

Just curious as to how it looks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Found these pretty cool pics...
source

source

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top