Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 4:05:10 AM EDT
I have ordered a stock from sharphooters (SVT) . its should be complete in a couple weeks. the options on the web page are

Glass bed (skim coat) $55.00
Pillar bed in laminated stock $75.00

this is a savage fp-1e2 rifle, righ hand, 308. it has the standard b & c stock.

which bedding should i have done. advandates or disadvantges for one or the other.
any other recomendation to be done now that i am shipping my rifle to them. True & Time Action?

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe i'd go with the pillar bedding as it should provide good accuracy and longer life over a skim coating .  I'm not sure what you mean by timing the action as for truing it i wouldn't spend a whole lot on that as most of those Savage's shoot pretty good out of the box.

So what kind of groups have you been getting?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the response

1"  groups sometimes better.    I shoot federal 168.  GMM    and black hills 168,175.    m118.  m118lr(pd)

that was one of their services( trueing the action), i don't know what trueing the action does.  so i figured i would ask and get some opinions.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#3]

i don't know what trueing the action does. so i figured i would ask and get some opinions.

Trueing the action is squaring the receiver's barrel shoulder mating face, the bolt face, and the barrel theads with the receiver  line of the receiver.  
Since this on a savage, then barrel can be easily indexed back for these new cut deminisons and the camber can be recut as well if your looking for something with a short throat/tighter chamber.

Bottom line is you're still at the mercy of the barrel/bore, but bedding and bluprinting the action should shrink the groups down nicely.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The pillars keep the action screws from eventually crushing the stock and changing the torque on the screws.  Definetely the way to go.  I did this myself to my dad's old rem 700 ADL 30.06 with a Brownells kit and shrunk groups from about 2" to 3/4" with the same hand loads.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The pillars keep the action screws from eventually crushing the stock and changing the torque on the screws.  Definetely the way to go.  I did this myself to my dad's old rem 700 ADL 30.06 with a Brownells kit and shrunk groups from about 2" to 3/4" with the same hand loads.  

that is exactly what im wanting to hear    

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top