Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 6:18:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think I'd try to shoot it.

I'd unload it, clean it, and check for any damage before I'd attempt to fire it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#2]
If your attic goes through exteme temp changes and humidity changes with the seasons, I would not attempt to fire it. Cabelas sells an unloading device powerd by CO2. They also have bore lights for muzzle loaders. Clear the rifle and inspect the combustion chamber. You may have made yourself a nice wall hanger.

Try asking your question on one of the many web sites for black powder shooters.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Unload it either using the CO2 system, or the screw rod type bullet puller.  Then just clean the bore, check it for heavy pitting, and if every looks OK, go shot the thing.  The modern steels used in re-production rifles can withstand the minor 20,000 PSI that BP produces, even with heavy pitting.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]
BP is usually NOT corrosive.  The ball seals the front and the nipple seals the back. In you case the nipple was open so some moisture 'prolly got in.  But here's the rub; it probably had the same effect as an unloaded rifle.
On the other hand once the powder is burnt the residue is highly hygroscopic (attracks water) and promotes rust in very short order.  IOW, if you didn't actually fire the gun you should be ok.
Unscrew the nipple and hose the charge with WD-40, or hot water.  Get in really good and soaked. Pull the ball and rinse out the charge with HOT water.  Then carefully inspect the bore as mentioned above.  I suspect you will see little real damage.

If the bore is shot replacement barrels can be had cheaply.  Some companies (I don't know about Navy Arms) even carry life time guarantees, so that may be an option.
Good luck.
RB out
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]
All attics I've ever had any experience with always stay warm. I'd cap it! It would be hard to corrode it to the point where it would be dangerous. IMO
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard of a BP gun that sat like that for decades. They fired it. I wouldnt, but they did.

Soak the barrel in water pull the bullet and clean it. Just like you would if it didn't fire yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Black powder is hygroscopic... it will attract moisture.  Get a puller and pull the ball and dump the powder out in the garden.  Clean the barrel as you normally would after shooting it...

Of course, your buddy didn't follow the proper procedure with a cap and ball weapon.  Always check the bore, and fire a cap to make sure the passage is clear BEFORE you load.   He coulda saved you some trouble by doing that.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:00:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Can you even get balck powder any more? I don't think anybody here carries it because of the hazard, it's all pyrodex.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Black powder is still commonly available.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't shoot that bad boy!

If your buddy didn't have the right stuff god oly knows what kind of overcharge or other loading disaster could be waiting for you!!!!!!

+1 on the bullet auger you put on the end of your ram rod and a good soaking with the nipplel off.  Rem oil or wd40 would be good on both sides of the ball to kill the powder and lubricate the extraction.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Just a note....

Most black powder rifles have a screw on "breech", meaning that you can un-screw the breech from the back of the barrel.  This would make removing the bullet and powder easy.

I would bet that after you clean it, it will still be "shootable".

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Nope! He said Enfield.  Hooked breech.

ETA: the BP forum may be a more appropiate place for this.
I'm just sayin"
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top