Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 2:54:05 PM EDT
Iam looking to add to the arsenal. One of the rifles I am considering is a Thompson. Purely a coolness factor. Maybe I have watched Band of Brothers one time too many.

Any input? I know the most recent ones are made by Auto Ordnance/Kahr.

I am looking to spend roughly $600-$800.

Model advantages?disadvantages?

I am going to a big gun show in a few weeks, so the input will be appreciated....

Thanks, jj
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out www.machinegunbooks.com

and then clink on the Thompson Forums.  Some semi auto Thompsons shoot just fine out of the box....and others need some gunsmithing to work right.

The new Khar rifles have had some issues, but it seems like Kahr is working hard to correct these issues.

That said, I have a M1 Thompson and really enjoy shooting it. It will shoot decent groups at 100 yards.

If you are going to buy a Thompson look into buying a SBR from Kahr. It will add $200 to your budget and some BATF paper work. But IMO a Thompson looks better with a 10 1/2" barrel vs. a 16".

Chris
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Good stuff! Thanks.

Oh yeah, I like the M1 the best, and a SBR would truly be grand!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Dare I say.....BTT?

jj
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Funny you should bring this up.

I just bought a Thompson T1-C (Commando).  This is the model that is similar to the M1 but has a parkerized finish on the metal and black on the wood.  The barrel is finned and the receiver is milled for drum mags.

The coolness factor on this weapon is very high.  However, I had problems right out of the box. The factory neglected to install the rear sling swivel and the 30 - round mag wouldn't feed properly.  No problem.  I contacted Kahr's customer service and a sling swivel and new mag arrived today.  I'll give them kudos for quick service.

But wait, there's more.

The buttstock reinforcing bolt and nut also fell out while I was shooting it but I was able to find them both and reinstall them.

Oh yes, there's even more.

Last Sunday my son asked to shoot it so out to my range we went.  After 10 rounds the firing pin retracting pin (short little pin in the bolt) fell out. I replaced it and it again fell out after another few rounds.  We quit after that and I again called customer service.

FEDEX picked up the rifle yesterday to send back to Kahr for fix'n  (on their dime).  We'll see how it shoots when it comes back.  I had asked for a replacement but their policy is not to replace a weapon until it comes back to them twice for the same problem.  I hope I don't go through this but I will keep the packing material when it arrives for "just in case".

A buddy sold this rifle to me for his wholesale cost ($800).  Even with that discount, it was quite a bit of money.............especially for a defective piece.  At this point, I'm still glad that I bought it but that may change if they don't get it fixed correctly.  The coolness of the weapon may quickly be overshadowed by complete frustration if it turns out to be a POS.

I think Band of Brothers was my downfall as well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Heavy, limited range, and in all likelyhood no happy switch which was the whole point.  Also Auto Ordinance has a SHIT I repeat SHIT reputation around here.  At $600 take a chance otherwise no.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had the chance to fire one. Really bad trigger pull. Not incredably accurate. Thats ok for a .45 subgun but not a rifle. I would say get yourself a .45 pistol that is authentic or a garand/M1 carbine. You can then start buying weapons from the other nations that participated. I promise you if you buy authentic WW2 weapons you wont loose your investment. And if your luckey you mind find an estate auction that has some "old junk" rifles for sale cheap and you can really do good on an investment. You can also try being a member of the CMP (civilian marksmenship program) you can then get M1 garands and M1903s real cheap. I got my barreled action for like 300 and bought a stock at the fun show and reworked it. It looks mint now.

PS an M1 Carbine is real fun to shoot. Dont forget my M1911 and P38, oh man I love C&Rs
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:44:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I have shot the Garand many times. It is a cool weapon. Did I mention that I am also shopping for a 1936 Ford Pickup? Bonny and Clyde and all that shit.......but the input is good. I heard the later Kahr/Thompson was troublesome......
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:16:45 AM EDT
[#8]
If you get one get it chambered in 460 rowland and load it hot. Use that 16" barrel to your advantage.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:20:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Did I mention that I am also shopping for a 1936 Ford Pickup? Bonny and Clyde and all that shit.......

Bonnie and Clyde were killed in May of 1934. You need an older truck.

Sorry I'm such a nitpicky SOB.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#10]
They are junk!

I've owned one and I had to send it back to the factory 3 times...

It doubled, jammed, and misfired.

I think the gun (Kahr) is crap.

It was never meant to be a rifle and will never come close to the real thing...

ETA: The customer service was great but, I ditched the thing right after I got it fixed and tested it...

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#11]
This ain't lookin' good........
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#12]
You are basically shooting a gun designed to be fired from open bolt closed bolt. Unless you get the SBR version you really arnt getting anything for your money. As I said before there are many better buys out there that you will be more happy with.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got one of the Commandos last month and have already put about 700 rounds through it.  So far not one hiccup or stutter.

As far as accuracy, at 25 yards I can put 30 rounds (from the bench) into a 2 1/2 inch spot.  I can easily pop 30 clays with 30 shots (okay, 37 shots) at 50 yards.  I don't see any problem with the accuracy.

It's a fun shooter, but it is a heavy pig.  Recoil is not much more than a .22 because of that 13 pounds of heft.

An SBR is definately the way to go.

Get It!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one. If you get it don't expect an fantastic assault rile or any sort of tack driver. They are very heavy with incredibly poor balance. The triggers suck and it ain't fun to charge that heavy spring.
However, they do rate very high in the kewl factor test. They will get you noticed at the range and everyone will want to try a round or two through it. I shoot mine occasionally for fun, it is a real hoot especially if you have a fedora and trenchcoat to go with it. They also look awesome as a decorative wall piece.
Final eval, awesome kewl toy to play with and even be seen with but I would hate to actaully have to clear a house or assault a bunker with it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I have shot one. So I am familiar with the unbalance. It was F/A so I quickly forgot about it's short comings. I will  remember to use the AR M4gery or the 870 to clear any buildings or bunkers.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well, I have shot one. So I am familiar with the unbalance. It was F/A so I quickly forgot about it's short comings. I will  remember to use the AR M4gery or the 870 to clear any buildings or bunkers.

Please do not confuse the Khar for the real deal F/A...

I thought I was buying the same gun but I was wrong...

They cannot even compare to the real deal...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:15:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Forgot to add this, the recoil of the .45 along with the weight of the rifle makes it hardly twitch when fired. It is a damn easy gun to shoot from the hip and walk fire onto target. Alledgedly Machine Gun Kelly could write his name with his thompson and after firing mine I could believe it, they are that controlable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top