Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/2/2006 1:06:30 PM EDT
Ive started shooting not just for the sake of shooting shit, but to actually hit what i want to hit. Ive noticed that when shooting 3 round groups with a solid rest the first two rounds are always right next to each other (usally forms one big hole) while the 3rd round is always roughly .5-1.0 inches below the first two rounds. What am i doing to cause this.
My technique is as follows,
deep breath, slowly exhale, hold, shoot,.......shoot, breath in, slowly exhale, hold, shoot

Should i squeeze off all three on one breath, or should i take a breath between each round.

If this is a completely retarded quesiton im sorry, thanks for the help and input

PJ
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:29:50 PM EDT
Full breathing cycle and position lock between, and for, each round. Charles.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:33:01 PM EDT
Roger that.
Three times in-three times out. release the shot on the last out.
Each shot same thing.
Oxygen is your friend, makes you see good.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:44:46 PM EDT
Go HERE. Get the books or the videos. If M/Sgt Jim Owens can't teach you your'e beyond help .Seriously though, training is great but unless you have an accomplished shooter along you may well just be ingraining bad habits into your shooting without realizing it. The videos won't replace having a good coach on the firing line but they will show you what to do and more importantly why so that you are better able to correct mistakes in your form and know what a group low and to the left or whatever means.I really can't reccomend these enough.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:03:05 PM EDT
There is some good info in this thread so far.

Do you shoot with one eye closed? If so that could contribute as both eyes strive to be in stasus your shooting eye will water more when the other is closed than when shooting with both eyes open. The longer it takes to shoot the group the more irritated the shooting eye will become. Obviously this affects individuals dirrerently.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:14:13 PM EDT
Using a spotting scope, see if the low round is the first round or not. in some semi-autos, I have seen the first round be a little off due to a difference in the operating force that went into the locking of the lugs.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:46:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cyoung:
Using a spotting scope, see if the low round is the first round or not. in some semi-autos, I have seen the first round be a little off due to a difference in the operating force that went into the locking of the lugs.

Could that result in the the round being off by up to an inch???

And ive had a friend accompany me with a spotting scope, it is in fact the third round.

Thanks for the great info. Next time i go shooting i will implement these new ideas and try to break my bad habits.

PJ
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:13:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 6:14:10 AM EDT by T-Ray]
How fast are you shooting the group? How is your barrel temp when you start the group? How is your barrel bedded, fully, pressure, or free float? Inquiring minds might have a guess.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:08:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 7:09:27 AM EDT by CK1]
A warm barrel will shoot differently than a cold one. That would be my bet. A heavier profile/bull barrel would solve this problem as the extra material acts like a heat sink sucking up all that heat before the temperature rises too much.
Top Top